Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I would love if MS bought Ubisoft; their titles seem like perfect gamepass candidates; the games are often very, very inflated to the point of needing weeks with one title because if you play more than 2 hours a day you become really sick of the repetition and tediousness.
For gamepass though, this means that people stay subscribed for multiple months, and that is a big win for MS.
A very big bonus would also be MS not needing to worry that potential future splinter cell, assasins creed, farcry and other titles look or perform better on PS5
Ubisoft is too big I think. Also they fought EA hard in the past so I am not sure if they want to be bought by MS. But at least they might access to better QA this time and have less issues with deadlines.

Personally I hope they succeed with XCloud in Japan, so it would bring more Japanese titles to XCloud and Xbox by the extension. Especially if porting the game to XCloud will naturally allow putting the games to Xbox.

Ubisoft is too big I think. Also they fought EA hard in the past so I am not sure if they want to be bought by MS.
Ubi is also publicly traded, IIRC. That's how EA was trying to gain control, by acquiring enough stock to have a controlling interest. I think what allowed MS to get the Zenimax deal done was the fact that they are privately owned, so you avoid having to please shareholders, and don't have parts of your acquisition still held by hold out shareholders.

Ubi is also publicly traded, IIRC. That's how EA was trying to gain control, by acquiring enough stock to have a controlling interest. I think what allowed MS to get the Zenimax deal done was the fact that they are privately owned, so you avoid having to please shareholders, and don't have parts of your acquisition still held by hold out shareholders.
True. Buying Bethesda was an incredible move. Other possible moves...I doubt they will buy any publisher.

Personally I believe there is some deal with Sega. And ideally Microsoft should partner with Nintendo in the future when their XCloud initiative will become bigger.

Personally I believe there is some deal with Sega. And ideally Microsoft should partner with Nintendo in the future when their XCloud initiative will become bigger.

Yeah, unless they're trolling with all the hedgehog pics! :LOL:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-12-01-eg7-acquires-daybreak

EG7 could be a good buy at less than 5 billion.

They have a lot of teams now and ip

I would have to imagine the buyers premium would be substantial, its up 400% YTD, unless they think they are past their peak. If they are going for a public company I would say Sega would be better, its down 6.3% year to date. I know there are some non-gaming concerns that come with sega but I would imagine Microsoft would have no problem divesting of them. The image below has Enad Globals (EG7) YTD stock price in dark blue, and Sega Sammy's in light blue

upload_2020-12-2_13-50-34.png

EDIT: I completely missed that EG7 purchased piranha games a couple of weeks ago, the studio that has the Mechwarrior license from Microsoft, looking at it more Eastman might be on to something

EDIT 2:
I forgot to add the market caps of both
EG7 4.29 B
Sega Sammy 3.68 B

Last edited:
MS acquired SmashGG [ https://smash.gg/ ].

"Since we started in 2015, our goal has been to build active esports scenes around the games people love to play. Today we’re excited to take the next step in that journey by joining Microsoft to help strengthen our existing relationships and explore new opportunities. Smash.gg will continue as a self-service esports platform available to tournament organizers from all game communities. If you have any questions about existing tournaments please reach out to hello@smash.gg."​

MS acquired SmashGG [ https://smash.gg/ ].

"Since we started in 2015, our goal has been to build active esports scenes around the games people love to play. Today we’re excited to take the next step in that journey by joining Microsoft to help strengthen our existing relationships and explore new opportunities. Smash.gg will continue as a self-service esports platform available to tournament organizers from all game communities. If you have any questions about existing tournaments please reach out to hello@smash.gg."​
Comment from Brad, after doing the video
After publishing this, Microsoft tells me the acquisition is for content on MSN, not xbox

Yeah, now I am sure there is esports deal with Sega regarding Virtua Fighter.

There is MSN esports division? I believe MS should push Microsoft Xbox more rather than Xbox itself. Microsoft as a brand is much bigger.
Is there some streaming services for esports? Like MS could integrate XCloud with some streaming media. If only Mixer succeed.

Last edited:

There is MSN esports division? I believe MS should push Microsoft Xbox more rather than Xbox itself. Microsoft as a brand is much bigger.
Is there some streaming services for esports? Like MS could integrate XCloud with some streaming media. If only Mixer succeed.

rebranded as the MSN entertainment box Series X|S?

Anyway, more fuel on the raging speculation fire, from today's Microsoft 2020 investor relations call: Satya said 'We are absolutely very, very much focused on gaming, and ensuring that all the 3 billion gamers around the world get the best content'. The first link is to an article about it, the second is to a transcript of the shareholder relations call.

Fun fact, during the 1 hour call gamepass was mentioned 3 times, the same number of times that windows was. They both have nothing on azure with 13 mentions however

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-company-is-very-very-much-focused-on-gaming/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...campaign=rta-stock-article&utm_content=link-0

Yes, seems it's acquired to be part of MSN Esports division
Both Microsoft and Sony seem really bad at leveraging parts of their organisation that may appeal to console owners - Sony more so given they own music, TV and movie production units. :-?

Anyway, more fuel on the raging speculation fire, from today's Microsoft 2020 investor relations call: Satya said 'We are absolutely very, very much focused on gaming, and ensuring that all the 3 billion gamers around the world get the best content'. The first link is to an article about it, the second is to a transcript of the shareholder relations call.

Fun fact, during the 1 hour call gamepass was mentioned 3 times, the same number of times that windows was. They both have nothing on azure with 13 mentions however
I wonder what MS will be able to achieve in gaming when trying.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-company-is-very-very-much-focused-on-gaming/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...campaign=rta-stock-article&utm_content=link-0

Microsoft knows this is the time to buy before the other sleeping giants finally fully wake up. Its only a matter of time before Amazon , Apple , Google and others start to get in on the bidding war.

I think the time for cheap purchases are now into early 2021 after that the prices are going to go through the roof

Microsoft knows this is the time to buy before the other sleeping giants finally fully wake up. Its only a matter of time before Amazon , Apple , Google and others start to get in on the bidding war.

If you took at the acquisitions of Amazon, Apple and Google, they've only ever acquired companies for technology, not for the people, nor non-technology patent IP. If they want in on gaming they will be able to recruit good talent by being able to pay more.

Because of Microsoft's position in the market, they pretty much have the field to themselves. If Sony have wanted to buy Bethesda, I doubt they would have been able to being console market leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

Although not a streaming media service, when Microsoft sold mixer to Facebook they announced a partnership with Facebook Gaming, which would allow someone to stream Xcloud games on the Facebook website if I understand it correctly. Thinking about it, if the partnership with Facebook is deeper than it outwardly appears the Facebook portal devices could make a very interesting Xcloud endpoint, a built-in screen, ubiquitous hardware, dual-purpose with the video chat functionality. You can even use Alexa on the portal devices so Facebook doesn't seem to mind partnering with the 'competition'. Could be a big seller. I wonder how much mixer sold for?

Article about selling mixer and xcloud
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/...g-facebook-gaming-partnership-xcloud-features

facebook portal devices
https://portal.facebook.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back