Microsoft' rumored holiday sku repackaged, games pack in and Arcade sku

BTW I think Viva Pinata would be a much better game to bundle than that Marvel game. It's been critically acclaimed but it bombed, yet they want to continue the franchise - it would be a nice way to introduce people to that brand! Plus it's a family friendly game.

But Viva Pinata is going to be released on the PC in November. I think it'll end up selling more copies there than on the 360, seeing it's a better platform for this sort of games.

someting like this package? this is a killer price!

45.jpg

That's not the problem. The problem is that only the packed in component cable has the slot for optical audio cord. If you buy any HDMI cable, you won't be able to connect your optical cord. The official MS HDMI adaptor has that audio slot, but it costs 50$. The elite unit comes with a separate audio dongle that let's you connect the digital audio cord.

Apparently you can't use the packed in HDMI cable for picture and the component pack for sound, but I have missed all information about that.

But the dongle is typically completely unnecessary unless you are converting to DVI or something. The vast majority (>90%) of hdmi TV's also include a digital out which you would connect back to your receiver. It's also not a problem if your lucky enough to have an hdmi capable receiver. The dongle is available for the unlucky few who don't fit the above and aren't bold enough to do some mangling: http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

I wonder what extra price drops we'll see now the 40gb is confirmed. MS is so aggressive in this race it's a bit disconcerting.

I hate Bundles... but a Halo 3 + Gears of War + Premium Xbox 360 for under $400? That would be a steal. 65nm is like pure gravy.

I hate Bundles... but a Halo 3 + Gears of War + Premium Xbox 360 for under $400? That would be a steal. 65nm is like pure gravy.

I just got my hands on a Premium for 175 euro, so since that leaves plenty of money to buy whichever two games I like, I guess that was a steal then. ;)

Actually, I've noticed you can get quite a few Premiums second hand for about that price, so I'm thinking there are a fair number of people who want an HDMI version.

Also, now that I have it, I still think that Live should be free. The gamertag and achievements are cool, but it's not enough for the money. The fact that it is not free, especially with all the non-proprietary bullcrap that MS insists to pull off, and their stupid insisting on being the only ones to be allowed to make wireless peripherals, makes the PS3 still a lot better value.

The big differentiator is the gamertag, achievements, and being able to see these of your friends. That is very cool stuff, and I love it. But in terms of value ... I'm paying 60 euros a year for this, that's 300 euro over the five years a console should last, and they don't even offer dedicated servers in return. What I hate even more is the whole hassle about thinking about it when you don't need it. I've paid 3 years worth of Live for nothing because I wasn't using my original Xbox. They should make online gaming free, and then charge a lower amount for just the gamertag stuff.

Also, download speeds here are, ironically after what I've heard from other people, slower than on PSN. Then again, that might be due to Halo 3 having been released recently. ;)

Another reason why I don't like this bundle is that it means Gears probably won't be platinum for a while yet, which sucks as I'd like to try it and there's no demo either. :D

Also, after hearing the (stupidly non-monotonous, how stupid can you be?) whine and rattle of the 360 - without a DVD inside! - I don't think 65nm is pure gravy, but a full requirement! I've bought VGA cables for my 360, because it's going to leave my living room and move to the work-room, so I can play a few games there when my wife is watching DVDs/BluRays on the PS3.

I also don't understand why Microsoft doesn't pack in the charge-and-play kit. I've heard people whine about not having a hi-def (i.e. HDMI) cable packed in with the PS3, but this is much, much worse - doesn't *everyone* need to have power in their wireless controller? And again, stupid proprietary stuff.

Sorry about this little rant, but I had to get it off my chest somewhere. Besides, it's the same reasons why the Core keeps failing. Release an adapter already that allows you to use cheap flash memory, and who knows it will take off. But before that time, it absolutely doesn't deserve to sell. It really, really doesn't.

Don't get me wrong. Now that I have a 360 I have every reason to try and like it! Take Forza 2, I'm doing my best to give it a good decent shot, and think I could enjoy it, especially online. I'm even prepared to buy a wheel for it. But it's terribly jarring when I have two wheels that are each miles better than the Microsoft wheel, which then I can't find anywhere - is there a new wheel or PGR4 pack coming? Doesn't anyone want to buy it because it only works with 2 games? - and the only alternative is a Logitech wheel which has rumble only and is based on 10 year old tech (I've worn out three of those wheels, which did have proper force feedback but share most other components, even before my two DF Pros came into the picture). And that's fully ignoring the bliss that is G25.

This is one of the things that is bothering me most as a racing fan, but there are just so many of these things, it's annoying as hell.

Same with the XNA stuff - why not make it completely free the first two years? Make sure everyone picks it up, it becomes a big success, and then start charging.

It pisses me off. Its value proposition seems to be based for a considerable part on market deception, but many people seem to buy it.

*blah blah blah, whine whine, rant rant* :D

Thankfully, the best part of this remains that it is good that the 360, PS3, and Wii all exist and compete for our dollars and time, because otherwise it's very obvious to me it would be far too easy for any of them to get away with the stupidest of crap.

The big differentiator is the gamertag, achievements, and being able to see these of your friends. That is very cool stuff, and I love it. But in terms of value ... I'm paying 60 euros a year for this...

Nope. This is free.

Great value init? :p

The only thing you pay for is online games.

By the way, this 'dedicated servers' thing is getting old. It's a bit 90's.

Live works great as it is if you've got a half decent connection / provider.

Don't get me wrong. Now that I have a 360 I have every reason to try and like it!

When's hell freezing over again? ;)

Anyways - welcome to the (online) party!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the time of the news neither Amazon or Toys R Us had a photo, but TRU has one now...

pTRU1-4146124dt.jpg

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2893174&cp=2255974

I guess we can finally say that the leaked photo-shopped pic released a month or so ago was legit after all. I still don't like the "Arcade" moniker, but at least it's better than "Core". Regardless of the name, excellent move by Microsoft. Finally a low-cost bundle that has great value.

Tommy McClain

Nope. This is free.

Great value init? :p

Well yes! But isn't that ironic? Basically people who want to play Halo 3 online are paying for the achievements and such for peopel who aren't, because for the way online is currently set up, it's the account and everything linked to it that costs money, and not so much the actual online gaming. That's where my comment comes from regarding the dedicated servers, and that's why I think it doesn't in fact get old. ;)

Live works great as it is if you've got a half decent connection / provider.

Games like Warhawk and Resistance are quite successful in showing where the limits are.

When's hell freezing over again? ;)

From the first day of next-gen announcements, I planned to get all three consoles - Wii, 360 and PS3. However, the PS3 appealed to me so much, and the other two so little, that I just couldn't bring myself to get the other two. The PS3 basically does everything I need. Then Forza 2 tempted me, but the whole wheel thing turned me off. And since then, there still hasn't been much to lure me over. I played Halo 2 on the original Xbox, and so far I'm more interested in Gears and Bioshock.

Anyways - welcome to the (online) party!

Thanks! And I'm sorry if I'm a bit of a bitch before I get properly drunk. ;) I guess its due to more or less having won my entry ticket before even really wanting to go to the party. Now that I'm here though I'm planning to have a good time though. ;) But occiasionally you're going to have to deal with me not being able to hold back comments like "I like Warhawk a lot more than Halo 3". ;)

Well yes! But isn't that ironic? Basically people who want to play Halo 3 online are paying for the achievements and such for peopel who aren't...

Not really. Achievements come with the Box (they work offline) and the other stuff in the form of Silver. We would still have the friends stuff if nobody had Gold. Sort of like Home or Messenger I guess.

But occiasionally you're going to have to deal with me not being able to hold back comments like "I like Warhawk a lot more than Halo 3". ;)

No prob.

And I'm not going after your dedicated servers comment, because it's the wrong thread for it. ;)

Remind me to give you my objective opinion on this sometime though...

From the first day of next-gen announcements, I planned to get all three consoles - Wii, 360 and PS3. However, the PS3 appealed to me so much, and the other two so little, that I just couldn't bring myself to get the other two.

Me too. Except I choose a console to play actual video games on. :p

Sorry - couldn't resist.

I noticed they've increased the number of 360 commercials over here by the way. I heard a '360 - new price / free games' one the other day. Must be a first for MS in Holland...

Oh, and the Wheel is all over the place here (MM / Bart Smit / etc) for €99.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the bundle and the good thing about it is, it still leaves the option of a price drop, open:

$350 pro w/ two games or
$300 pr w/ no games (possible).

$400 ps3 will be good competition and I hope MS realizes nothing moves consoles like price drops along with good software.

Unless they introduce these new bundles at a lower price then I don't see another price drop happening. TRU, Best Buy and Amazon are starting to list the new SKU's with the same prices. Releasing these in mid to late October only to drop the price in November would probably piss consumers and retailers off.

Unless they introduce these new bundles at a lower price then I don't see another price drop happening. TRU, Best Buy and Amazon are starting to list the new SKU's with the same prices. Releasing these in mid to late October only to drop the price in November would probably piss consumers and retailers off.

If sony comes in at 399 40 gig SKU then MS has no other choice but to lower the price. No way the elite could survive at 449 vs a 399 PS3. If the price drop happens with in a month most retailers have price protetion for 30 days. I am sure MS would love to keep prices were they are at till next year to try and turn a profit next financial year. Sony could and probably will force their hand.

If sony comes in at 399 40 gig SKU then MS has no other choice but to lower the price. No way the elite could survive at 449 vs a 399 PS3. If the price drop happens with in a month most retailers have price protetion for 30 days. I am sure MS would love to keep prices were they are at till next year to try and turn a profit next financial year. Sony could and probably will force their hand.

No way the elite could survive? What nonsense are you spewing. It'll still be cheaper than the 80gb ps3. It's really like suggesting that the $399 cut down ps3 can't possible compete against the 20gb X360.

No way the elite could survive? What nonsense are you spewing. It'll still be cheaper than the 80gb ps3. It's really like suggesting that the $399 cut down ps3 can't possible compete against the 20gb X360.

The 40 gig PS3 is much more feature rich than a elite 360. The 399 PS3 has much more features than the 349 360. Less features and higher price would be very bad for MS. Price advantage has to stay on the side of MS. The elite needs to be cheaper than any PS3 IMO. I can't see any sane person choosing an elite when it is 50 dollars more.

The 40 gig PS3 is much more feature rich than a elite 360. The 399 PS3 has much more features than the 349 360. Less features and higher price would be very bad for MS. Price advantage has to stay on the side of MS. The elite needs to be cheaper than any PS3 IMO. I can't see any sane person choosing an elite when it is 50 dollars more.

Much more features? sorry, its a games console, that zomg its got blu-ray and all this other crap may sound great at Sony HQ, but the public hasn't been buying it so far.

Back