Microsoft' rumored holiday sku repackaged, games pack in and Arcade sku

Rangers

Legend
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...-forza-2-and-marvel-ultimate-alliance-pack-in

Okay it's Ars Technica again, who haven't yet panned out on the 399 PS3, but these these same Xbox360 rumors have been floating around from other sources for months, so very likely to be true.

* October 9: The Xbox 360 Pro package will come with Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance as pack-ins. The games will be in one case, similar to the Sega GT 2002/Jet Grind Radio Future combo disc that was packed-in with the original Xbox for a time, but in this case each game will come on its own DVD.
* October 23: The Elite will get the same package. No price drops on either system, you just get two free games with it.
* New Xbox Core Sku "at the end of October" that will include a new version of the system with an HDMI port, wireless controller, 256MB memory card, and five arcade games on a physical disc. The games will be Boom-Boom Rocket, Pac-man, Uno, Feeding Frenzy, and Luxor 2. This package is expected to retail for the normal Core price of $279.99.

My thoughts: This is a good deal and akin to packing insult to injury on PS3 at current price rates, that is IF the 399 PS3 never materialises. Of course if the 399 PS3 happens, I dont know that it's "enough". me wonders if the 399 PS3 comes about, whether MS will cut in return or think this new lineup is enough.

Anyway, the games pack-in's are pretty nice, Forza 2 seems much better than the normal shovelware you get in these deals.

The Arcade sku could actually move some Core units for a change, as the memory card essentially cuts at least $30 off the core price (the cheapest 64MB 360 memory card retails at 29.99). The core is a absolutely horrible value with the current premium only being 70 more, this rebalances things slightly. The 5 free games are a lackluster selection, though.

It could be right I learnt on the web french web that the fnac (some kind of french bestbuy) said (non official but pretty sure) that a pro pack will be available @349euros and include viva pinata and Forza II.
Quiet concordant with this rumor ;)

EDIT the news seems to have been delete from the site where I red it, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the idea of "increased value", I would rather see actual price drops (although Core has to include a memory card).

There was earlier a rumour that Microsoft would indeed lower price points to $249 for Core-Arcade, $299 for Pro and $399 for Elite. That would be more interesting IMO.
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-55856.aspx

MS must add audio dongle to HDMI premiums though. Many people are screwed up having to spend another 50USD on HDMI cable just for this, making HDMI premium worthless if they are only getting visuals out of HDMI.

I don't like the idea of "increased value", I would rather see actual price drops (although Core has to include a memory card).

There was earlier a rumour that Microsoft would indeed lower price points to $249 for Core-Arcade, $299 for Pro and $399 for Elite. That would be more interesting IMO.
http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-55856.aspx

Of course price cuts are better.

But if the 399 PS3 doesn't happen, these are very, very good value adds. And a great repositioning of the Core.

I dont know if they're enough if the 399 PS3 is true.

But they're better than nothing either way, and a price cut could still be thrown on top of things, if absolutely needed.

MS must add audio dongle to HDMI premiums though. Many people are screwed up having to spend another 50USD on HDMI cable just for this, making HDMI premium worthless if they are only getting visuals out of HDMI.

people who are dumb enough to buy a HDMI cable for $50 are probably getting screwed over so much in your life that it doesn't really matter.

BTW I think Viva Pinata would be a much better game to bundle than that Marvel game. It's been critically acclaimed but it bombed, yet they want to continue the franchise - it would be a nice way to introduce people to that brand! Plus it's a family friendly game.

I think the Core pack-ins are fine. That's $40 worth of games. Uno was a given and a great game to boot. Love Boom Boom Rocket too. It's a great party game. I understand the reason for the other 3, something to hit different kinds of casual gamers. Would be better if Pac-man was the Championship Edition though. HDMI plus $80 worth of extras for $280? Damn good deal. If I had the cash I'd buy one for the kids.

Tommy McClain

BTW I think Viva Pinata would be a much better game to bundle than that Marvel game. It's been critically acclaimed but it bombed, yet they want to continue the franchise - it would be a nice way to introduce people to that brand! Plus it's a family friendly game.

I disagree, it wouldn't be attractive to the demographic 360 is aiming for nearly as much as the Marvel game. Also, Pinata is supposedly very sophisticated and difficult, making it not really a kids game at all.

Love Boom Boom Rocket too. It's a great party game

It's a glorified screensaver at best. I was very disappointed in that game.

10mq04k.jpg

guess it's true?

people who are dumb enough to buy a HDMI cable for $50 are probably getting screwed over so much in your life that it doesn't really matter.

That's not the problem. The problem is that only the packed in component cable has the slot for optical audio cord. If you buy any HDMI cable, you won't be able to connect your optical cord. The official MS HDMI adaptor has that audio slot, but it costs 50$. The elite unit comes with a separate audio dongle that let's you connect the digital audio cord.

Apparently you can't use the packed in HDMI cable for picture and the component pack for sound, but I have missed all information about that.

It could be right I learnt on the web french web that the fnac (some kind of french bestbuy) said (non official but pretty sure) that a pro pack will be available @349euros and include viva pinata and Forza II.

This ad has been on the Dutch Xbox site for more than a week now. So it is official. :)

* although I can't seem to find it now - maybe they made a mistake? *

The offer was for non-Elites only by the way and it was not a pack, but you could get the games one way or the other...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm $350 for a 360 + a game I was half interested in getting... will anyone swap FM2 for PGR4? :p

It seems pretty official, you can go to Best Buy website right now and find the sku that guy posted a screen of, or at least I did last night. It says "coming soon" or something like that, and is listed at 349.99.

Back