Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next

Status
Not open for further replies.
These guys are making a first party game and ramp up development in about 2 months. They were told they will be the first third party devs to recieve any xbox 2 hardware. They were even told that as soon as MS ha final specs, they would reecieve them. The leaked info is BS imo. Wait for thereal stuff...
That's why I'm saying that the info could be leaked by someone straight from MS game studios. Sure, it's a specualtion, but it's not that far fetched. As the actual final specs are not know even to them they won't be passing them to the guys you know.

Preliminary specs are available but those are just guestimated performance numbers. The real deal (specs, marketing plans, name of the system) should be shown at E3 along with an array of tech demoes that use the R420 chip from ATI. All speculation on my regard.

Microsoft has given 3rd parties briefs on the sequel to the Xbox, but there is still too much up in the air with regards to system components like hard drive and many others.

Could be, could be not. I can certainly see them WANTING to keep the HD in (certainly WE all want them to ;) ), but if it will continue to cost them $50 (or howevermuch), and be primarily useful to the Live service, they may yet want to excise the cost from the base console, and attach it to Live's requirements instead--since everyone signing up already has to purchase an extra package.

I'd rather they kept it in and instead pushed also for more developers to lean on it in GOOD ways (like speeding up load times), though if it's not there from the start, at least there's also no way to lean on it in bad ways (a la PC-style game releasing with bugs and missing features to patch in down the line). Thankfully what I feared MIGHT happen with the HD in the Xbox hasn't come to pass, though developers could certainly go a lot further in utilizing it in other fashions than Live content uploads (and as its universal use as a memory card).

It's of monetary concern, and on that point the answer is always up in the air until companies announce for sure.

(like speeding up load times)

Actually it doesn't speed load times at all (and can slow them down actually), unless you go the install route (like some of us have done :p )... What it *does* allow you to do is cache a very LARGE level and traverse it quite quickly (and can relieve you of more main memory allocated to streaming buffers)...

archie4oz said:
Actually it doesn't speed load times at all (and can slow them down actually), unless you go the install route (like some of us have done :p )...
That was in part what I was talking about. ^_^ There are a number of ways it COULD be used for performance advantages, but on the whole it is not for any. (Does any game actually allow for installing, or is that only a feat modders can pull? How many even do decent caching--temporary or perminant?)

I have no doubt that if asked any developer would say to keep the HD in. But I question if it has had any significant impact on the end-user experience, enough to justify the additional cost.

Does any game actually allow for installing, or is that only a feat modders can pull?

Well I was speaking from the PS2 perspective you do have a few titles that offer the option to install a sizeable chunk of the game for the purpose of speeding load times...

Gubbi said:
Costumizable soundtracks is a very big plus for the XBox.

What?

Surely you must be joking! I haven't ever heard of anyone using that feature. Is it even supported in any major games? If it is, how much bother do you have to go through to select a suitable track for a particular part of the game, is that even possible?

This is a typical useless gimmick kind of feature, worse than for example integrating a barcode reader into the joypad or something like that.

:rolleyes:

Amusingly, that very feature was the cause of an Xbox purchase from one of my friends. He got annoyed that he couldn't play a PC game and stick in a CD to play tracks from his own audio CD's during the game instead, so he got an Xbox and a bunch of games he already owned on PC.

...which just made me ponder, as--at his computer--he had a stereo... with a CD player... SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO HIM! :oops:

Guden Oden said:
Gubbi said:
Costumizable soundtracks is a very big plus for the XBox.

What?

Surely you must be joking! I haven't ever heard of anyone using that feature. Is it even supported in any major games? If it is, how much bother do you have to go through to select a suitable track for a particular part of the game, is that even possible?

This is a typical useless gimmick kind of feature, worse than for example integrating a barcode reader into the joypad or something like that.

:rolleyes:
Project Gotham Racing 2 uses it.
GTA Double Pack also uses it.
It's a great feature.. don't knock it till you've tried it (or tried playing a game with awful music that you HAVE to sit through).

...which just made me ponder, as--at his computer--he had a stereo... with a CD player... SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO HIM!

Hehehe... I've been in the same circumstance and wondered the same thing... While I think it's a nice feature, some people tend to highly overrate it... Especially since just about every game out there has a volume control for it's music... In fact lots of the early Playstation games you could do the same thing since the entire game would load into RAM and you could just swap out the game CD for the music of your choice (I used to play Ridge Racer to enka, and Shogi to reggae)...

GTA Double Pack also uses it.

OK, that's just wrong... Especially after the effort they put into integrating the radio (with careful selection in Vice City to tie into it's theme)...

PGR2 OTOH, OK. Although the radio chat in it since MSR has been a nice touch to the region of the tracks... Besides I like playing driving games to enka anyways...

Dio said:
I would strongly disagree with 'easily matches' .
Both have good cases and bad cases, and I would argue that for the type of textures used in games DXTC is more usually superior (as well as not requiring a 1K-per-texture overhead).
Well I would just note here that it all largely depends on the quality of your compressor/quantization utility.
And sadly - majority of quantization tools used by popular professional image processing software generate average results at best, in many cases even quite poor.
So when results of those are what we all see most of the time, it's hard to believe what is really possible with the format until you've witnessed it - I myself was pretty much shocked upon seeing output of a really good quantizer for the first time.

But yeah, I did forget about the LUT overhead which can become pretty sizeable when using many smaller maps (it becomes particularly noticeable when you hand manage uploads and only upload required miplevels).
And like noted before, working within memory constraints as small as 32MB 8bit maps are a luxury that you can rarely afford.

Chap said:
I think VQ is gooooood. I meana, SA1/2 textures still stand out against anything i see on the PS2.
VQ textures use the smallest amount of memory which is very nice, but their 'color integrity' is not even close to either 8bit or S3T formats.
But seeing VQ use up to 4x less memory then 8bitCLUT, giving up some quality for more memory is a no brainer.

So when results of those are what we all see most of the time, it's hard to believe what is really possible with the format until you've witnessed it - I myself was pretty much shocked upon seeing output of a really good quantizer for the first time.

Heh... You and me both!

Fafalada said:
Well I would just note here that it all largely depends on the quality of your compressor/quantization utility.
And sadly - majority of quantization tools used by popular professional image processing software generate average results at best, in many cases even quite poor.
Very true. There are bad DXTC encoders around as well.

The HD in xbox wax it's biggest advantage. Without it Xbxo live wouldn't and couldn't be possible.
That's not the only benefit of the Xbox's HD. I haven't seen one person yet mention the use of the HD as a "scratch pad" for games. AFAIK there are 3GB's allocated for this scratch pad (1GB for each game, up to 3 games can be "remembered" in what is effectively a large cache). There are quite a few games that take advantage of this and cram an obscene amount of data on the HD for use during play. It effectively cuts down on loading times, allows for larger levels (streamed from the HD), and acts as memory for little details in a game (ie. dead bodies, bullet holes, skidmarks, etc.. which would usually disappear in games that are only limited to the system's memory). Look at Halo, without the HD you'd see loading screens instead of the 1 (or less) second pauses when it reads level data into memory from the HD. Seamless worlds simply would not be possible.

Using GB's of flash memory as a replacement for a HD wouldn't be practical, both from a speed standpoint and a cost standpoint.

Seamless worlds simply would not be possible.

If crystal dynamics could stream a seemless world off a psx optical drive, Halo could have without a hdd.

Regardless, Bungie used the hdd.. so backwards compatibility requires it. I agree it would be sweet if they used flash memory instead of a traditional hdd. But if it really is that expensive to use, I doubt MS will. They are going cost effective next gen.

DeathKnight said:
That's not the only benefit of the Xbox's HD. I haven't seen one person yet mention the use of the HD as a "scratch pad" for games.
Caching was already mentioned. I'm just not sure how widespread its use is--doesn't seem like much offhand. (More the pity.)

Dio said:
The funny thing is I'd agree that Xbox isn't that much more powerful than PS2, but I'd disagree that nobody notices the difference. I find the texture quality on PS2 games is generally poor. Not licensing S3TC was a truly massive mistake.

(I was astonished to find that a texture palettisation utility reviewed in Develop was used "on 90% of last year's top fifty games". Palettisation should be dead as the dodo, given that DXTC is half the size and - in the vast majority of cases - hugely better quality.)

AFAIK it is not as black and white as the above quote claims.
CLUT textures have some abilities the other compression schemes does not.

* Even 4bit CLUT has alpha.
* The result of the compression is very predictable.
* Pulsing and wave animations can be done by only reloading the small LUT, even bump-mapping can be done on static geometry that way.
* 8bit CLUTs can look better than 16bit or even 24bit textures (with alpha), because you can assign up to 256 hues to a single colour if so desired, something that is not possible with only 4 or 6 bits for RGB.

The disadvantages of CLUTs on PS2, is that they are slow to load, that size of the LUT (a disadvantage that become smaller the larger the texture is), and then of course, the limited amount of colours/entries.

The first disadvantage can be alleviated to a large extent by swizzeling the texture (as I understand it, it involves basically preparing the texture so it fits the geometry without the need for conversion).

The third disadvantage is most serious for 4bit, but most realworld textures, such as wood or skin only have very few colour variations anyway (any gradual changes in tone can be more efficiently with vertex shading).
8bit textures shouldn’t need to much dithering, if the texture is below 512x512 (try to make a GIF file of an arbitrary lo-res picture)

From what I can see S3TC or DXTC, only has significant advantages if the source material is a large photo or similar.

Another thing is that geForce up to GF3 (that includes NV2a) is known to have a broken implementation of the DXT1 compression mode.
From what I've read, the disadvantage ranges from unusable to flawed, so I'm not so sure xboxs texture compression is a significant advantage if it can only realistically use DXT5 (8bit).
Fafalada said:
And like noted before, working within memory constraints as small as 32MB 8bit maps are a luxury that you can rarely afford.
Why not? A 256x256 8bit only take up ~ 65Kb. Even if you only have, say 4Mb per frame, that's sixty-three high resolution textures in one frame!

4 bits or 8 bits color aren't really a problem.

Goood tools exist, like ImageStudio (http://www.webtech.co.jp/eng/istudio/index.html)

Its allow good control over manipulating Clut and provide very good results with paletized stuff.
It opens a kind of "Underworld of per pixel features" at very cheap hardware performance price.

Why use 16-24-32 bits when 4bits or 8 is enough for 80% of the cases ?

I agree that palettised textures do have some advantages you mentioned above, but...

Squeak said:
From what I can see S3TC or DXTC, only has significant advantages if the source material is a large photo or similar.
Cases such as those you mention like wood and skin is where it is absolutely at its best. Perfect compression just about every time at 4bit quality, no need for alpha, colour animation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back