Microsoft E3 Conference 2011

I am beginning to feel that from some point and onward MS has been trying to sell me turd as gold with this conference :mad:

Any chance im going to see any of that in New Zealand? AFAIK we don't even get voice recognition yet! :(

Yep very dissapointing. I wasnt expecting much but way too foccused on kinect, but even with the focus i dont feel like the kinect content has moved on much at all.

Someone, at somepoint, will have to explain to me the point of having actors on the stage behaving like morons with "Game X." The crowd being polite has to be the only thing keeping them from getting laughed off stage.

No ingame stuff from Halo 4 though, makes you wonder if it's still 360 based. Maybe the first of the new trilogy. Hmmm, how are the guys at Bungie feeling about this?
The Halo1 remake looked pretty on the other hand.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that MS has no interesting in using E3 conferences to market to hardcore gamers. They're using it to try to tap into the outliers, the casual family gamers. They can push their hardcore titles in other ways, because hardcore gamers read IGN, Eurogamer, Gametrailers etc.

Not really impressed with the sound of the Kinect titles. Not interested in on-rails games. Seems like there's a bunch of stuff for kids, that might be good if I actually had kids.

Seeing this online isn't helping my opinion of the whole kinict thing and I'm sure it will be the same for Sony's. They way I see it some games make more sense such as the dance game compared to Fable in which you want some fast movement.

I guess what I'm trying to say and it sort of doesn't make sense is kinict appears very laggy. I really can't see playing a game that way where there is a delay. To me it would ruin the whole immersion deal which is what they are trying to sell.

Side note regardless of manufaction's design (MS or Sony) I'm wondering what sort of compute power is needed to put it all together and then display it to screen? Is there that much processing power available in either console to do that? Or will this get better over time?

WHatever we say, with these kindof titles and money being pushed into it, Kinect will sell millions and next year we'll have a conference for just Kinect ! Casual gaming wins !
Lets hope the world ends in 2012 !

..Just kidding about the world end ! :oops:

Another year of Kinect ruining gaming. Lame.
Well it somehow preempt a lot of time on the show but it's not like third parties editors will stop pushing out games ;)

More importantly and looking forward, MS is putting it self in a position to preempt USA living rooms with thier next systems. I may be pessimistic for the others actors but their next gen offers will be really tough to beat in US.

I like the hybrid Kinect games the most. Mass Effect will be fun with voice as will the Tom Clancy games. Headtracking on Forza 4 is an obviously good feature.

I think MS feels that they can get the casual market that the Wii had during it's first few years and they're focusing on that. For them to continue selling the 360 in large numbers to new audience, that is the right approach. We'll see how i plays out.

Tomb Raider looked fantastic btw!

It's becoming increasingly obvious that MS has no interesting in using E3 conferences to market to hardcore gamers. They're using it to try to tap into the outliers, the casual family gamers. They can push their hardcore titles in other ways, because hardcore gamers read IGN, Eurogamer, Gametrailers etc.

Not really impressed with the sound of the Kinect titles. Not interested in on-rails games. Seems like there's a bunch of stuff for kids, that might be good if I actually had kids.

Same here, I could care less about Kinect now with everything being on-rails. I'm only upset because my lady wants it for dance central and that MJ experience game:oops:

To me,the highlights of the show where MW3,Tomb Raider and Gears 3.Its too bad how MS played this out...60% of time was kinect kids stuff and on rail games,10% of it was youtube/bink/avatar kinect things,15% of time where exclusive games with controller and the rest was multiplats.

Here is MW3 demo in HD.Looks pretty damn good to me.Much much better than trailer from last month...

I love the kinect features being added to core games. It will make the game experience more immersive (head tracking in forza, dialogue and cover orders in ME3). And if you don't like or have kinect, I'm sure the games will play just fine with out it.

Seeing this online isn't helping my opinion of the whole kinict thing and I'm sure it will be the same for Sony's. They way I see it some games make more sense such as the dance game compared to Fable in which you want some fast movement.

I guess what I'm trying to say and it sort of doesn't make sense is kinict appears very laggy. I really can't see playing a game that way where there is a delay. To me it would ruin the whole immersion deal which is what they are trying to sell.

Side note regardless of manufaction's design (MS or Sony) I'm wondering what sort of compute power is needed to put it all together and then display it to screen? Is there that much processing power available in either console to do that? Or will this get better over time?
Watching it on video and actually using it are worlds apart. We don't notice the controller lag with normal controllers in demos because we can't see them pressing the buttons. A well constructed Kinect game is about the same lag as a 30fps controller based game. When using gestures instead of 1:1, it's larger because you have to wait for the guesture to end to identify it, and body gestures tend to be larger and take longer than thumb gestures. (Compare it to a fighting game, for instance, you're doing the controllerless equivalent to L,R,L,R,U,D,Punch.)

It's interesting to me what _wasn't_ announced (which is all I can say). They definately cut stuff out to be more focused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see the hardcore games (exclusives):
MW3
Tomb Raider
Ghost Recon
Mass Effect 3
Gears 3
Ryse
Forza 4
Fable 4
Halo 4

That's plenty of stuff, and there's certainly going to be a lot more material from all these games until the end of the week.

Let's see the hardcore games (exclusives):
MW3
Tomb Raider
Ghost Recon
Mass Effect 3
Gears 3
Ryse
Forza 4
Fable 4
Halo 4

That's plenty of stuff, and there's certainly going to be a lot more material from all these games until the end of the week.

I was just coming in to say that I still saw a lot of guns and metal ... I missed a few bits, but personally I liked some of the Kinect stuff actually, the 3D drawing and object creation, avatar creation and voice recognition used a little more comprehensively (though note that it's only basically catching up to phones, but they're still at least doing it). Unfortunately we'll be stuck in this house for a while yet (as we have no other complaints), so Kinect is out of the question for a good while yet.

Watching it on video and actually using it are worlds apart. We don't notice the controller lag with normal controllers in demos because we can't see them pressing the buttons. A well constructed Kinect game is about the same lag as a 30fps controller based game. When using gestures instead of 1:1, it's larger because you have to wait for the guesture to end to identify it, and body gestures tend to be larger and take longer than thumb gestures. (Compare it to a fighting game, for instance, you're doing the controllerless equivalent to L,R,L,R,U,D,Punch.)

It's interesting to me what _wasn't_ announced (which is all I can say). They definately cut stuff out to be more focused.
You speak of the details of the deals with tv channels or is it something secret they did not say a word of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back