Microsoft E3 2009 Keynote Thread

Did they say that the new camera controls will work with any game? Even those already released?

Did I hear well?

With regard to Natal, I was surprised more by the inclusion of microphone & voice recognition. It's more than just motion controls.

The tech seems to be using two cameras, so it should be enough for a rough motion capture app. ILM's been using tech like this for 2 years now called iMocap. It's obviously a lot more precise but that's not important for such a controller. They can add all the processing into the actual device, as the 360 itself probably isn't fast enough to deal with it... so it can work with any console they've sold.

I am surprised by the lack of enthusiasm here though. Guys, this is frakkin' scifi here, I wouldn't have expected anything like this for another five years...

$200? I can't see that. The tech they based this off was demoed at CES last year and the company who was talking about it pitched it as much, much cheaper.

Processing for mocap needs a lot of CPU power. They have to put it in the box, with two digital cameras, and it has to be as fast as possible to reduce latency.

Forzamotorsport.net has new screens of FZ3.

You'll get a clearer picture of the game. It looks quite good, much,much better looking than its predecessor. But even looking at 1280x720 bullshots, I cant say I agree with some of Greenawalt's claims.

those of you doubting... did you SEE it or just hear about it... because if I'd just read/heard about it... I may say... oh, gimmick... but after SEEING it work, I am impressed. Certainly don't see it working for complex game controls like shooters unless there is something I don't know but for a HUGE causal audience that don;t like controllers... this will be an evolution of gaming.

I think that last bit is a pretty big claim, though. An evolution of the WiiMote, sure. A marriage of the wii-mote and the eyetoy, sure, also.

But I'm not sure that this is progress over a regular controller. But then I don't think that appeal to the masses is necessarily the end-target of gaming's 'evolution'.

I did know that MS would make a stronger 'casual' push this year, since last year's was fairly limp, but will they be able to supplant the Wii? MS needs to get more kiddy games on their platform, they need to turn it into a stronger 'family' machine.

@Laa-Yosh: I saw a lot of hardcore gamers dissing this - basically because all the games that have been shown are simple, early Wii-style games. Also, a lot of hardcore gamers couldn't lift their legs high enough to kick someone in the face using this tech. ;)

But my wife is very excited and that's partly what this is about, isn't it? ;) (and by the way, so am I, because while I don't trust Microsoft to come up with good software for it, I expect them to create a good SDK for it that other developers will then put to good use - and I can't wait for a game to replace what I used to do with DDR and gave me a real work-out - I made it to level 8 for most songs).

That's exactly my point: waggle. Waggle is not the future, it failed to make any meaningful imprint beyond something that you did in Wii games in lieu of an actual button press. Nintendo's own efforts in Wii Sports notwithstanding.

Wrong.

It's true that most 3rd parties haven't been able to do anything interesting beyond a few, but what has been done correctly works amazingly well. You thinking of the shovelware crap that uses waggle to replace button presses, but you're forgetting games that uses it in a meaningful way.

FPS aiming now can rival PC, making dual analog even more cumbersome.

Ever played PES08 and 09 on the Wii? The entire game has been completely transformed (hell, the HD versions are considered inferior and not just because of the controls). It redefined team sports games. You can now control the team like never before. Go to youtube and dig up some video tutorials to see what I mean.

Bringing RTS games to console, and once again giving you controls like the PC.

Good interactions like Wiisports.

Now the problem is that the 360 relies on 3rd party support, and 3rd parties -- at least western -- have been unable to really innovate this generation. They're more than happy with recycling 10 year old ideas with tacked on gimmicks while screaming art and other pretentious garbage to grab attention. Small 3rd parties are doing a great job though. This is also the reason you see all the crap on the Wii, because most of them have no idea how to make use of it. Most of the best work's still coming from Japanese studios that aren't afraid to experiment. Sometimes even the most outlandish ideas come from big names companies.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about motion control in any games. I like my controller just fine.

But did I read somewhere that if you have this camera thingy, and you start your 360 it automatically recognizes you, logs you into live, you can navigate the menus, etc without EVER picking up a controller?

So I could just turn the 360 on, sit on my couch, scroll through all the menu options and say start a neflix movie (that I just added to my que, YEAH!), without picking up the controller?

If so, now THAT'S awesome. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Rough start the conference, but buy the end I was amazed with the games (Halo: ODST, Forza 3 - looks unbelievably good-, Splinter Cell, Alan Wake) and the motion controller has the potential to be completely revolutionary.

So I could just turn the 360 on, sit on my couch, scroll through all the menu options and say start a neflix movie (that I just added to my que, YEAH!), without picking up the controller?

If so, now THAT'S awesome. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

correct

Wrong.

It's true that most 3rd parties haven't been able to do anything interesting beyond a few, but what has been done correctly works amazingly well. You thinking of the shovelware crap that uses waggle to replace button presses, but you're forgetting games that uses it in a meaningful way.

FPS aiming now can rival PC, making dual analog even more cumbersome.

Ever played PES08 and 09 on the Wii? The entire game has been completely transformed (hell, the HD versions are considered inferior and not just because of the controls). It redefined team sports games. You can now control the team like never before. Go to youtube and dig up some video tutorials to see what I mean.

Bringing RTS games to console, and once again giving you controls like the PC.

Good interactions like Wiisports.

Now the problem is that the 360 relies on 3rd party support, and 3rd parties -- at least western -- have been unable to really innovate this generation. They're more than happy with recycling 10 year old ideas with tacked on gimmicks while screaming art and other pretentious garbage to grab attention. Small 3rd parties are doing a great job though. This is also the reason you see all the crap on the Wii, because most of them have no idea how to make use of it. Most of the best work's still coming from Japanese studios that aren't afraid to experiment. Sometimes even the most outlandish ideas come from big names companies.

Note that I'm referring to waggle, and not the IR pointer. IR hasn't really lit the world on fire either, most people seem to forget it too, but it's a net positive. My objection is to waggle. To the idea that mapping some action to some sort of motion control and that it's a positive thing, and doesn't end up with folks flailing wildly. If you still want to defend pure waggle, then fine, but I strongly disagree.

Note that I'm referring to waggle, and not the IR pointer. IR hasn't really lit the world on fire either, most people seem to forget it too, but it's a net positive. My objection is to waggle. To the idea that mapping some action to some sort of motion control and that it's a positive thing, and doesn't end up with folks flailing wildly. If you still want to defend pure waggle, then fine, but I strongly disagree.

the conference showed some girl sitting on her couch, mimicking holding a steering wheel with her hands up, driving a race car in a game.

that's cool :cool:

I am surprised by the lack of enthusiasm here though. Guys, this is frakkin' scifi here, I wouldn't have expected anything like this for another five years...

Logan's Run is also frakkin's sci-fi. Doesn't make me look forward to it. But yeah, more seriously, for gadget freaks it's interesting. For people who actually play games? I don't really understand everyone's enthusiasm.

Well, that's what the MS conference presenter (Don Mattrick?) said.
I'll wait for the final product and see how well it performs, if it's too slow or unprecise, it'll feel just like another Eye Toy clone, no matter if it can differentiate between open and closed fist.

Call me sceptical, but the presentation videos for previous cam based tech (MS Live Cam, Eye Toy and PS3 Eye) have all looked soooo much better in PR videos than what they've been in real life.
Lionheads presentation was just that, a polished up PR video, not a finished product or even some beta.
Of course MS might actually got it right and it will be as good as shown, we'll see...

best news for me... CRACKDOWN 2!!! bad news... I have to wait until Feb 2010

what's your Best news of the show?

Great show overall I thought.

I dont know where "natal" is going to go, but I definitely think it is interesting. I've thought it was worth a try to grab that Wii market. I mean if it fails, no harm really. So I'm just wait and see on natal.

My biggest disappointments were no MMORPG (though none was expected, I still hoped), and no Rare FPS.

Back