Microsoft E3 2009 Keynote Thread

I don't believe they said anything about it being included in SKU. Just that it would be supported by every Xbox 360 console & every console going forward.

Not particularly excited about Facebook or Twitter on my 360 account. I hate twitter with a passion, and I'd prefer to keep my Facebook separate.

Yeah, seriously. Why the hell would anyone care about it? It seems pretty damn pointless to me. I can get excited about games and controllers, but Facebook and Twitter? No.

If the camera is bundled, it can be a moderate success.

If it is given out for free to everyone who already owns a 360, it can be a much larger success.

Otherwise, it's essentially meaningless to this console generation outside of enthusiast gamers.

That's exactly my point: waggle. Waggle is not the future, it failed to make any meaningful imprint beyond something that you did in Wii games in lieu of an actual button press. Nintendo's own efforts in Wii Sports notwithstanding.

yes and this is an evolution of that tech concept, perhaps bringing it to fruition.

of course my point was .75 million people/month thought enough of waggle to buy one for the last 3+ years. ;)

If the camera is bundled, it can be a moderate success.

If it is given out for free to everyone who already owns a 360, it can be a much larger success.

Otherwise, it's essentially meaningless to this console generation outside of enthusiast gamers.
The Wii has demonstrated that peripherals can sell if the applications are there to back it up.

No mention of it being bundled so far. I imagine it will be at some point, otherwise there's no point. Of course, they could go the Wii Fit approach and have a bundle for every single title that uses the camera. In that case, MS will have to be very persuasive to convince 3rd parties to support it. They've shown that they can be, though.

The camera tech presentation sounds very much like last year Sony's Eye Pet, and even the very first PS3 eye presentation with augmented reality... drawing an image and letting the cam scan it, and the game character then interacts with it, a bit more advanced obviously, as a year has passed... but can't help the feeling that MS has copied, and just improved what Sony showed last year.

Interested to see what the Kojima MGS game turns out to be.

Other than these two, the conference didn't show much to be excited, in my opinion.

That's exactly my point: waggle. Waggle is not the future, it failed to make any meaningful imprint beyond something that you did in Wii games in lieu of an actual button press. Nintendo's own efforts in Wii Sports notwithstanding.

yes and this is an evolution of that tech concept, perhaps bringing it to fruition over time.

of course my point was .75 million people/month thought enough of waggle to buy one for the last 3+ years. ;)

yes and this is an evolution of that tech concept, perhaps bringing it to fruition.

Well, fine, point taken. But we're on B3D, we're gamers, I'm talking about us, not my mom.

I don't believe they said anything about it being included in SKU. Just that it would be supported by every Xbox 360 console & every console going forward.

No mention of it being bundled so far. I imagine it will be at some point, otherwise there's no point. Of course, they could go the Wii Fit approach and have a bundle for every single title that uses the camera.

Ah... then it depends on the actual deal and the software. Hopefully, developers use this to help foster/improve Wii game development too (Crack developer whip). Now I only need Sony to throw in their equivalent. And waggle basically defines this gen. :devilish: Amazing what a "toy" could do.

Well, I think my write-up is as good as any. ;) Any questions from people who haven't seen this live?
Good conference for Microsoft, they can be happy.

The Wii has demonstrated that peripherals can sell if the applications are there to back it up.

Nintendo has proven that peripherals under $100 can sell well if the applications are there to back it up.

This thing is rumored to cost $200 (NY Times). Granted, costs may come down, but if it's a dime over $60, it will fail terribly.

There is simply no market for it. The folks who want simple motion control have Wii. They understand that they have a controller, they swing it. This gesture based system simply cannot succeed in a market where the Wii has already been a success, especially not if it's price is high.

It's nice, I'm excited for the technology, but the timing is wrong. This project would have been better off getting more development time and waiting until the next console cycle. As it stands right now, it's just a giant "me too". A joke, if you will (as much as the Sixaxis controller is).

Milo does seem a lot like a probably more advanced EyePet. Have to wonder what is more appealing: the dead eyes of a replicant or the dead eyes of a monchichi.

Yeah, seriously. Why the hell would anyone care about it? It seems pretty damn pointless to me. I can get excited about games and controllers, but Facebook and Twitter? No.

If you are on facebook and also Live you dont have to disconnect your experiences... not logging off to facebook.. you just facebook through live there are people who essentially live on facebook.. that plus face recognition opens alot of avenues to an MS based interactive web lifestyle... makes sense to me...

those of you doubting... did you SEE it or just hear about it... because if I'd just read/heard about it... I may say... oh, gimmick... but after SEEING it work, I am impressed. Certainly don't see it working for complex game controls like shooters unless there is something I don't know but for a HUGE causal audience that don;t like controllers... this will be an evolution of gaming.

Nintendo has proven that peripherals under $100 can sell well if the applications are there to back it up.

This thing is rumored to cost $200 (NY Times). Granted, costs may come down, but if it's a dime over $60, it will fail terribly.

There is simply no market for it. The folks who want simple motion control have Wii. They understand that they have a controller, they swing it. This gesture based system simply cannot succeed in a market where the Wii has already been a success, especially not if it's price is high.

It's nice, I'm excited for the technology, but the timing is wrong. This project would have been better off getting more development time and waiting until the next console cycle. As it stands right now, it's just a giant "me too". A joke, if you will (as much as the Sixaxis controller is).
$200? I can't see that. The tech they based this off was demoed at CES last year and the company who was talking about it pitched it as much, much cheaper.

If you are on facebook and also Live you dont have to disconnect your experiences... not logging off to facebook.. you just facebook through live there are people who essentially live on facebook.. that plus face recognition opens alot of avenues to an MS based interactive web lifestyle... makes sense to me...

between this an the motion control I may actually be able to get my GF to sit down to another game and may even be able to convert her. :LOL:

Back