Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

You prefer the term 'chance'? No one can really predict the next big thing in entertainment and doing it 5 years out is probably as close to luck or chance as anything. Obviously making a killer AAA title takes $ and talent, but being a generational blockbuster is still going to require a bit of lightning to strike.

Maybe do what others have done. Use someone who has done it before. Destiny can be considered the offspring of Halo, Apex the offspring of COD and PD from 007.

Sony could buy Bluehole and begin work on PUBG2 while collecting revenue from the still popular original title.

Maybe do what others have done. Use someone who has done it before. Destiny can be considered the offspring of Halo, Apex the offspring of COD and PD from 007.

Sony could buy Bluehole and begin work on PUBG2 while collecting revenue from the still popular original title.
Sony used to own Daybreak, who made H1Z1, a BR game that predates PubG and Fortnite designed by PlayerUnknown himself, Brendan Green. Sony owned Daybreak until the month after H1Z1's BR mode was released. They used to own the "original title". Woops.

I think after the "luck/talent" stage which gave a franchise its initial push it might be more about mental programming. As long as you deliver the original trigger experience you'll get your customers even if that experience is objectively stale.

IMHO Nintendo's whole business concept is based on catching people in their normative years as a child. Why would adults otherwise continue play kiddie games? Only because they try to reproduce the dopamine rush they had as a kid.

Only a kid would think a game that doesn't include blood or violence is for kids.

Nintendo makes good games that are fun to play. That is why people keep playing them.

Adults play games aimed for younger kids because they have younger kids. I stopped playing mario after 64 as I entered my adult years but when my nephew was 5 we started playing it together.
I dont think it's just kids.
Nintendo games are very appealing for multiple reasons and they manage to stand the test of time.
Because:
  • A lot of old timers know how appealing and friendly their games are by experience and nostalgia so they recommend/buy them for the younger generations who also enjoy them and recommend them to other friends.
  • In general their games arent mentally very tiring for the gamer. They are enjoyable by everyone. Gaming is supposed to be fun and light. An adult comes from work, he/she wants to entertain himself/herself, they can just pop in a Nintendo game and enjoy. No need to get their brains involved with troubling themes of conflict, fear, treachery, existential questions, horror etc which are themes that exist in the majority of AAA games. No need to think about perfect frame timing, reflexes and memorization of complex moves. . Of course some games offer that gameplay too, but you arent forced to go there. Which leads to the next point below
  • They are designed with scalability in mind. And what I mean is that, they are so well made, you can find just the right challenge for you in the same game whether you are a casual, hardcore, adult or adolescent. You can play their games any way you like and have fun

That was totally unexpected

Read the details of the lawsuit. It's a bit comical. It overlooks a basic tenant of all standard corporations, that the board voted for shareholders because they are the most and largest shareholders.

The Zenimax acquisition also had it's share of lawsuits too, I think somewhere around 4 or such.

Microsoft's purchase of Nuance officially closed today.

Also at the state of the union it seems that Biden doesn't want to stop mergers and purchases for american companies so I think it will be clear sailing for Microsoft buying Activision

Also something to watch out for. Discovery and Warner's got clearance and that is expected to close next quarter. So be on the look out for Warner games to get sold

"It was simply a lucky bet."

Buying big stock when they are low, due to poor public perception, is how many serious investors turn a quick profit. That said, they are suspiciously all in the entertainment industry :-|

Activision Publishing and Activision Blizzard Japan as distributors will take over SIE in Japan

Just to add some context, Sony have been publishing Call of Duty in Japan since 2015 - prior to that it was Square-Enix. This will shift to a Microsoft-owned publisher once the acquisition deal completes.

As was expected by anyone who want trying to push their own agenda. This should not be a surprise to any objective person.

Back