Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard King for $69 Billion on 2023-10-13

Like i said what MS could do outside the deal...is not part of decisions about the deal ...(so no appreciation of how ms can use money in others things or manage better what they have or others blablabla)
I was expecting cloud to be the problem but COD i still don't see it...What count is they see it.

Even buying up Bungie triggered a review from the FTC so any acquisition would have to be significantly smaller in scope than that. Other smaller publishers could virtually be off limits too ...

That would be a really petty move from either party. Just because the UK doesn't agree with the deal doesn't mean that they have to resort to escalatory or retaliatory tactics as a counter measure. A move like that could be potentially harmful to US-UK political/economic relations in spite of the fact that they both share more in common such as being western anglophone-centric democracies and agree to a rules based liberal international order ...

You think Activision or Microsoft stiffing America's closest ally is somehow the right move because they didn't get what they wanted ?
But apparently Sony buying up the industry isn't an issue. So something the size of bungie should be fine for MS also

It's not petty its just business. For Activision if this deal falls through and you are still trying to sell the company why would you continue to do business in a country that is partially responsible for blocking the deal ? I think the UK's current stance on USA tech is already harmful to the us-uk political/ economic relations.

I think Activision and MS should do what is best for them not best for the UK. They are companies and should go and find places where they can conduct business the best.

24% of playstation owners would leave playstation if cod wasn't available. That seems like a plus if you want a stronger market. Sony would still be market leader but MS would be more competitive.

Seems like MS is still going to try and get it through

Like i said what MS could do outside the deal...is not part of decisions about the deal ...(so no appreciation of how ms can use money in others things or manage better what they have or others blablabla)
I was expecting cloud to be the problem but COD i still don't see it...What count is they see it.
I'm the opposite. I think the cloud thing BS and COD is the problem that needs to be resolved. The cloud thing barely exists right now.

24% of playstation owners would leave playstation if cod wasn't available. That seems like a plus if you want a stronger market. Sony would still be market leader but MS would be more competitive.

Abandon deal and use 69 billions to get life time exclusivity on COD then :D

Microsoft should never be allowed to buy companies for their xbox devision. Using money from other parts of the company (like Windows) and creating unstable market conditions should be a no go.
I think they are to gentle on Microsoft. If they want to be a software publisher they should be forced to spin off their console business.

I'm the opposite. I think the cloud thing BS and COD is the problem that needs to be resolved. The cloud thing barely exists right now.

I agree that the cloud thing is BS. Sony has been in the market longer and has a subscriber advantage along with an exclusive ip advantage. Sony can simply go day and date on cloud if they wanted to be more competitive.

But I also think the COD thing is BS. MS has been releasing all their games day and date on steam. COD would be there also. MS has offered a 10 year contract to Nintendo for COD , right now there is no cod on nintendo's console. MS has also offered a 10 year contract to Sony. For sony this would add on to the existing contract. So we are talking about the end of the ps6 generation. Sony would have 10 years to make a cod competitor or purchase one. They purchased bungine already.

The CMA also saying that prices will rise , well sony already raised prices. Sony doesn't need COD or activision to raise prices. If anything MS being more competitive could trigger price wars instead of price increases.

Microsoft should never be allowed to buy companies for their xbox devision. Using money from other parts of the company (like Windows) and creating unstable market conditions should be a no go.
I think they are to gentle on Microsoft. If they want to be a software publisher they should be forced to spin off their console business.
How is that enforceable and why only MS ? Should Sony exit the video game industry because they used money from their electronic divisions and other divisions to create the playstation ? Should Nintendo exit the market because they used playing card profits and love hotel profits to launch the nes ?

Or is it okay because you like those companies,.

The CMA also saying that prices will rise , well sony already raised prices. Sony doesn't need COD or activision to raise prices. If anything MS being more competitive could trigger price wars instead of price increases.
Yeah, Sony has been the leader at raising prices this generation. I'm hoping in the findings they explain why they think the deal raises prices.

How is that enforceable and why only MS ? Should Sony exit the video game industry because they used money from their electronic divisions and other divisions to create the playstation ? Should Nintendo exit the market because they used playing card profits and love hotel profits to launch the nes ?

Or is it okay because you like those companies,.
The first xbox was released 20 years ago. Why hasnt Microsoft bought these companies 18 years ago?! They have learned that this market isnt huge enough for Sony and Microsoft. Thats the reason why they are buying game companies like no one other to create a vertical concentration - making consoles and buying independent publisher and developer to bind their games onto their own plattform.

The first xbox was released 20 years ago. Why hasnt Microsoft bought these companies 18 years ago?! They have learned that this market isnt huge enough for Sony and Microsoft. Thats the reason why they are buying game companies like no one other to create a vertical concentration - making consoles and buying independent publisher and developer to bind their games onto their own plattform.

Why has sony bought 12 video game companies since 2019 ? Why didn't they buy them 25 years ago when they entered the market ? Please at least be consistent.

Abandon deal and use 69 billions to get life time exclusivity on COD then :D
I think selling off the COD IP might be worth it. Hopefully, they can convince the regulators of a less drastic remedy, but if push came to shove, Microsoft and ABK could work with that. Hopefully, they won't have to.

But apparently Sony buying up the industry isn't an issue. So something the size of bungie should be fine for MS also
Possibly but they could use this deal as an outline against any future acquisition by Microsoft even for smaller sizes unless conditions immediately change thereafter in the near future. Basically Microsoft's gaming business would need to go sour again so that regulators can let them have a chance at another acquisition ...
It's not petty its just business. For Activision if this deal falls through and you are still trying to sell the company why would you continue to do business in a country that is partially responsible for blocking the deal ? I think the UK's current stance on USA tech is already harmful to the us-uk political/ economic relations.

I think Activision and MS should do what is best for them not best for the UK. They are companies and should go and find places where they can conduct business the best.
UK's stance is not all that different to the American progressives like Sanders or Warren which holds significant political clout in the US ...

If they think forgoing participation in the UK is what's truly best for them then more power to them but the choices that they do have in alternatives won't be very good. Western liberal democracies are getting suspicious of tech corporations in general so that leaves other regimes that don't share the same values as they they do while not being able to make as much money from them ...

I think selling off the COD IP might be worth it. Hopefully, they can convince the regulators of a less drastic remedy, but if push came to shove, Microsoft and ABK could work with that. Hopefully, they won't have to.
It be interesting if its just the IP. If they keep the teams then they can just slap a new name on it and call it a day ?

Seems like MS is still going to try and get it through
I have a feeling bullet 2) count on datas of the subpoenas Sony is trying hard to avoid.

Sony is not a monopolist. Microsoft is a totally different company.
Of course Sony is a monopolist. If they were able to have all of console gaming to themselves they would. They continue to buy up music rights and continue to increase their size in that market. They are the second largest as of 2020 and in 2021 they bought Som Livre , awal/kobalt neighboring rights , human resources and in 2022 they bought ultra records. So they continue to grow and are closing the gap between them and universal
Possibly but they could use this deal as an outline against any future acquisition by Microsoft even for smaller sizes unless conditions immediately change thereafter in the near future. Basically Microsoft's gaming business would need to go sour again so that regulators can let them have a chance at another acquisition ...

UK's stance is not all that different to the American progressives like Sanders or Warren which holds significant political clout in the US ...

If they think forgoing participation in the UK is what's truly best for them then more power to them but the choices that they do have in alternatives won't be very good. Western liberal democracies are getting suspicious of tech corporations in general so that leaves other regimes that don't share the same values as they they do while not being able to make as much money from them ...
That's why I said they could just have activision go the negative route. close their shops in the UK and when they go looking to be bought again there is one less regulator with say.

Sure the UK's stance is not much different than the american progressives but the FTC doesn't really have teeth because the federal courts would ultimately rule on the outcomes and what the ftc using to try and stop this deal wont hold up in court.

MS can reduce foot print in the UK and still sell into the UK market. There are plenty of territories that MS has little to no presence in but still sell their product too.

I don't think that is wise, but keeping those studios is paramount, IMO.
why wouldn't it be wise ?

The ip would be all but dead if the studios stay with MS , it would take years to get a game out and it be by different teams so the quality could be a lot less. Ms can then just put on another ip over the products the cod teams are making and call it a day.

Back