MGS2:Substance hangs on PS2

Reverend

Banned
Okay, having recently just bought a PS2, I've spent countless hours playing MGS2:Substance and have encountered what I can only describe as a bug.

In the Plant mission, after battling the MGRays, there's a cutscene where it starts with Raiden saying "it's useless" and goes on to the Rays being hit by the virus and Solidus kills Olga and then wreaks the Rays himself. After that, we have the scene where Solidus tries to suffocate Raiden with his tentacle. Now, I can hold my breath and survive the choke-hold but after Solidus says something (in reply to Fortune saying Raiden's of no use) like "He's not the one I'm after", the scene ends/darkens and... nothing happens. The TV remains dark. Nothing appears to be happening. The DVD sounds like it's still spinning in the PS2 but nothing happens. I assume after the above scene, there should be another cutscene but nothing happens. It's like the game has hanged.

Anyone knows anything about this?

First, put a BIG "Spoiler Warning" on your description of what is the end of the game. ;)
Or some guys who were expecting to play MGS2 on GCNext will be angry.(j/k)

Two, more seriously, no i have never experienced such a bug, do you have a "used" copie or a new one? Because it could be some scratch on the disc!

IF the game still hang there , lete me tell you that's "almost" the end of the game, there's just one fight with solidus and then "THE END"...so at least you can go and check Gamefaq.com to read the end of the scenario.

I know, it's not a great solution i giving you here. :oops:

The TV remains dark. Nothing appears to be happening. The DVD sounds like it's still spinning in the PS2 but nothing happens. I assume after the above scene, there should be another cutscene but nothing happens. It's like the game has hanged.

Sound like a faulty disc. So exchange it.

Before you exchange the disc, make sure to try it with another PS2. Preferably a new PS2 model (the one with integrated IR sensor, and with + mark on the packaging cardboard box)

MGS2 Substance is pressed on the DVD9 discs, and some older PS2s sometimes have problems with those. As dust collects on the DVD lens, those discs become more prone to errors. So basically, if the disc works on another PS2, just buy a DVD lens cleaner and use that with your PS2. That should help.

Back