Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Reached the "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" part, unimpressed by the story but absolutely love the gameplay. I just keep coming back to it, my thoughts are that MGSV is a really, really good game just not a good MGS game. Although you actually get to be Big Boss
(even if it is just his actions and not the actual persona)

Exceptional animations throughout the game as well. I like how they have a comical, stylistic feel to them, gives the game character. That's a staple of the MGS series though.

Last edited:
Update, I've played some of chapter 2. I don't really like how the game is forcing you to play in a specific way in some of the repeat missions... The whole point of the game is the sandbox aspect of it and how you can think of many different ways to solve problems, these chapter 2 missions are the complete opposite of that. Still great gameplay though but i can now see why the game got some deserved flak.

I am just around that point too. I like the that the game is forcing you to play different - but I dislike the rehashing of the game or missions. For example: The mission where you have to take out the enemies communication system receives a whole new dimension by going in "solo" and "naked" without any tools. But to be honest, that came far too late in the game.

What I enjoyed best about earlier MGS games is that the game was very story driven and in that sense also very linear. For example; MGS1-3 - you are that solo infiltration. That is the aim and the objective and thanks to the fact that you are practically going in naked, you have to supply yourself with the tools necessary to accomplish that mission. That was always one of MGS greatest aspects and one of the aspect that is missing in MGS5. I enjoy that you can use hundredths of weapons in every possible combination, but the game has already lost a lot of its atmosphere by going open-world and the overblown weaponry just add to it.

Not that I don't like the openworld aspect. I regard Snake Eater as the best MGS ever (still), but the one aspect where it was missing (due to limited hardware) was that the forests and jungle only created the illusion of being huge and vast, but in reality were quite a narrow corridor in itself. They could have created the perfect game in MGS5 by having the open world, but more tightly confined story driven missions where get to go to unseen places as the game progresses. MGS5 is just far too repetitive in that sense in that you end up in the same places over again but with different missions. I would have enjoyed a more linear game a lot more, but with the occasional "side quest mission" here and there to take advantage of that huge open world they created.

I.e. the mission "code-talker" is one of the best of the game. Epic hike to the mansion, then the infiltration. That really felt like some of the more epic pars of earlier MGS games. The game unfortunately has too little of those missions and landscape in that open world to offer them.

I feel bad for inadvertently rushing the last mission (before the metal gear boss fight); I just got in a tank immediately, drove as far as I could into the base, and killed my way up from there, reaching the helipad triggering the cutscene. i was like: shit, I wanted to actually play/earn this, not rush it! But I just continued afterwards :(

I am just around that point too. I like the that the game is forcing you to play different - but I dislike the rehashing of the game or missions. For example: The mission where you have to take out the enemies communication system receives a whole new dimension by going in "solo" and "naked" without any tools. But to be honest, that came far too late in the game.

What I enjoyed best about earlier MGS games is that the game was very story driven and in that sense also very linear. For example; MGS1-3 - you are that solo infiltration. That is the aim and the objective and thanks to the fact that you are practically going in naked, you have to supply yourself with the tools necessary to accomplish that mission. That was always one of MGS greatest aspects and one of the aspect that is missing in MGS5. I enjoy that you can use hundredths of weapons in every possible combination, but the game has already lost a lot of its atmosphere by going open-world and the overblown weaponry just add to it.

Not that I don't like the openworld aspect. I regard Snake Eater as the best MGS ever (still), but the one aspect where it was missing (due to limited hardware) was that the forests and jungle only created the illusion of being huge and vast, but in reality were quite a narrow corridor in itself. They could have created the perfect game in MGS5 by having the open world, but more tightly confined story driven missions where get to go to unseen places as the game progresses. MGS5 is just far too repetitive in that sense in that you end up in the same places over again but with different missions. I would have enjoyed a more linear game a lot more, but with the occasional "side quest mission" here and there to take advantage of that huge open world they created.

I.e. the mission "code-talker" is one of the best of the game. Epic hike to the mansion, then the infiltration. That really felt like some of the whmore epic pars of earlier MGS games. The game unfortunately has too little of those missions and landscape in that open world to offer them.
I have a similar view on this. The game could have been perfect if the game was directing the player more. Rarely anything interesting happens whereas in the previous MGS games the game directed you from one memorable event to the other
The repetition of missions we already played was annoying. I felt exactly the same as you did for the communications mission. It felt like a real MGS but this is how the original mission should have been, not its clone in chapter 2. Hideo made the sandbox element way too flexible and easy. Too much freedom kills the immersion and the strategic element that was there in previous MGS games is reduced and eliminates the challenge. The game shouldnt restrict what you can do by rule, but by context.

Previous MGS games did this a lot with boss fights and they were brilliant. The player had to discover the boss's weaknesses and strengths and each demanded a completely different approach. What worked on one boss didnt work on another

Instead of breaking up the game into separate missions that feel disconnected it would have been better if there was more coherence and each mission was dense with content and plot progression.
Also some events that could have been super amazing felt too short and too easy which broke completely the immersion.

For example "Cloaked in Science" got many elements right. But you dont feel the challenge much. Quiet builds personality as the game progresses but the boss fight itself should have had more personality. The bosses in previous Metal Gear games demonstrated a strong and unique personality during the fights.

The man on fire, also had many potential to be a great boss. But he doesnt do much except walk and throw fire at you. The boss fight can also finish in a matter of minutes. The game barely gives you enough to interact the the personality of the bosses.

Skull face was an underdeveloped character and died too soon. He was shrouded in mystery in GZ and looked super interesting. When he died in V its like he came, left and never existed. Almost nothing happened with him

The Skulls would have been more interesting if they were a team of extraordinary soldiers each with their own personality and Quiet was a member of their team originally. How great it would have been if they were significantly more powerful than Quiet, that they met again and viewed her as a traitor, battled her and out-powered her but Snake helped her defeat them. How cool it would have been if each Skull soldier was different like the Boss's team in MGS3 (i.e Fear, Pain, Fury etc) and we fought each at different points in the game each revealing new info or secret.

Other differences between V and previous games was the fact that you had a huge amount of interaction with characters through the codec. Optional or mandatory conversations were full of intel or info that developed the characters. Every time we called someone he would give us the information we needed, or comment on our actions or comment on something that the camera was directed at. In V calling the radio gave the exact same comments regardless of what we were doing or what was on screen.

Ground Zeros showed V's missing potential. The main mission was dense with content, Miller interacted more with you through the radio, and he would comment in real time. i.e when we got the cassette from Chico and listened to some audio cues? That was great. Miller would comment on the go as we were moving to the correct direction.

It would have been better if the game had more bases and more things happened in them. Missions in the interior of the bases would have been awesome. With lots of crazy and intense stuff going on.

Then don't replay they mission... You are not forced to replay

Although I admit, the game does really badly in explaining that you don't need to replay mission
We are not forced to replay but they are part of Chapter 2 which without the cloned missions it barely has any. I want to finish the game 100%, but unfortunately a large portion of that completion includes playing the same missions again and they have the same optional tasks. At least if I have finished them in the other missions dont force me to do them again. Or at least have them changed

I feel that a large portion of the time it took to make MGS V includes also the R&D on the Fox Engine. And it really feels like MGS V was a project testing of the engine

This is what it says in wikipedia about the fox engine:

On March 27, 2013, The Phantom Pain was revealed to be Metal Gear Solid V. Kojima explained that Phantom Pain was presented as a project unrelated to the Metal Gear franchise in order to better observe the public response to the Fox Engine's capabilities.[13] In September 2015, Julien Merceron, the overseer of the engine, quit Konami.

And what an engine, some stuff looked absolutely amazing (the hangar stuff? just wow) and it ran at 60 fps on both X1 and Ps4 and PC. Sad that it'll be only used for PES from now on...

Nesh, I couldn't agree more.

As for the engine; I think the engine is fantastic. I couldn't ask for better graphics or better mechanics. It runs so smooth and the visuals are stunning most of the time, even if the geometry and actual texturing is quite limited at closer inspection, the overall picture enhanced by the real time day/night cycle produces exceptional immersive visuals.

MGS5 to me feels like the team tried a bit too hard to produce a game that tried to be too many things, attract too many different tastes. You can play it like an action game, full on assault, but when you do, you quickly realize that the soldiers are a bit too stupid and that you have too powerful weapons to create any real challenge. Play it totally stealth and a large portion of the teams effort - the buddies, the tools, the weapons - all go to waste because you are all CQC. And a pitty; once you are spotted, the whole stealth gameplay goes out the window and you are reduced to being practically forced to play it as an action game. How often did I infiltrate a camp, make it 80% through to my objective, then being seen only to then being forced to take out my machine gun, kill them all and after 2 minutes be greeted with my iDroid saying "Outpost secured". Then there is the critique that the past games were too much story driven, "boring" to some because the games features hours and hours of complicated dialog and cutscenes. So what do they do? They completely get rid of them (more or less) and put the stories into cassettes that most people never listened to. Even I never did, until I realized their importance, but at that point, I had to many of them to get immersed in what should have been a much larger focus to begin with. At the end of it, MGS5 still feels like some of the best "games" I played in years from a mechanics and gameplay perspective, but the game itself is hollow and empty without substance. Certainly compared to the earlier games.

What made MGS the series it is and with it, perhaps my favorite series of all time, is that it wasn't this mindless shooting game, but that it influenced to play it in a way it was intended: a tactical infiltration game. Run in ill adviced and you will be spotted which will create an impossible task of surviving it. Hence; the focus always more or less forced you on playing the game realistically, hidden, sneaking. And the past games were so polished that nearly every second of them were memorable. The characters amazing, especially the boss fights because there was always some build-up, so that when you ended facing them, you were afraid, on-edge, unsure on how to beat them.

Yet at the same time, MGS5 does so many things well too. The open world is stunning. The gameplay so good, I actually enjoy being able to jump right into a past mission and do it again. I like the freedom of modifying your weapons to adapt your game slightly and I also like how the game got you to want to build up Motherbase. But some of the best parts of earlier games is missing; Rarely do you get to infiltrate indoors. That *last mission of chapter 1* is an excellent example: I wish it was actually bigger and that it actually was a huge complex, a bunker of sorts, or headquarters and you then infiltrate it.

Oh another disappointment: Reflex mode. I hated it from the beginning and if you play it with it turned off, you do get the feeling the game was actually designed with reflex mode in mind. Case in point: In earlier games, like MGS2, I feel that when you were actually spotted, you actually had a bit of time to intervene with that soldier. He was only human, so there was a bit of latency and the first move he'd usually do, is engage you or run for cover and/or grab his radio to call for support. That gave you crucial seconds to tackle him, shoot his radio, but the point is, the game wasn't in "alert mode" until he actually made that call. In MGS5, I feel with reflex mode turned off - this tolerance level is far lower making it extremely hard to play without it. I actually tried playing it at the beginning without reflex mode and quickly gave up because it just felt far too difficult, so in the end I turned it on which then made the game far too easy. Spotted? Easy as pie - you have about 3 seconds that feel like 10 to take your gun, aim, headshot and problem is solved. Then the next soldier comes running; rinse and repeat. Peanuts. But at the same time, nearly no challenge too. So no, I don't particularly like reflex-mode.

Maybe now that I have a kick-ass sniper rifle with suppressor and tranquilizer ammo can I attempt to play it without reflex mode. I'll just tranq them all before entering the base. Might be fun a few times until that gets boring too. But that's just it, isn't it? If there were more closed buildings where you actually had to go in, you wouldn't be able to do that. But because most bases are open, well, the game just becomes that bit easier and more repetitive.

It's a pitty, I really really like MGS5 on so many levels, but as a MGS fan, it's not quite the MGS game I was hoping for. It's a pitty also because with Kojima no longer being at Komani, perhaps this was the last MGS game ever. But I can say one thing; If they ever remaster Snake Eater using this engine and perhaps make the game more "open-world" in combination with that story driven aspect, it would be IMO the greatest game ever.

Last edited:
I never used reflex mode, not once.
I never used awareness arrows either.

:runaway::runaway::runaway:

I should have used them though.
So many frustrating moments could have been avoided.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, congratulations. I am more or less half way through chapter 2 (so no idea what is yet to come), but I just realized something else that I really really miss.

One of the most memorable things about earlier MGS games was the unforgettable moments. Infiltrating the two hostages in MGS1 in that closed complex but also later in the game when you had a room full of hostages (actually I think that was MGS2) where you had to use your directional microphone to figure out which one it is. Heck, there are so many memorable parts of earlier game. Nearly every single infiltration is one - moments where you infiltrate deeper and deeper into that huge unknown military complex only to then find that MGS at the end. Huge, deadly, powerful. The anticipation that build up resulted in was amazing. And in MGS3 (Snake Eater) the greatest moments were also its survival aspect: Hunt animals, but also be weary of the wild life in the jungle. And I still rate 'the End' as one of the greatest bosses of all time. That sniper duel was never quite surpassed. The part with Quiet is just too open and the problem there is that the open environment doesn't give you the opportunity to actual move from one place to the other without actually being visible. That jungle in MGS3 certainly did and it made for an amazing battle. Also the fact that that battle actually included for the most part taking your directional mic and listening for the snoring of your enemy. In MGS5, either the laser beam or the reflection of the scope is just far too obvious.

Sniper battles are about patience. And Snake Eater captured that essence perfectly.

Heck, I miss Snake Eater. If it wasn't a PS2, I think I'd go back to it far more often

PS: Sorry for all the ranting.

I feel that a large portion of the time it took to make MGS V includes also the R&D on the Fox Engine. And it really feels like MGS V was a project testing of the engine

This is what it says in wikipedia about the fox engine:

On March 27, 2013, The Phantom Pain was revealed to be Metal Gear Solid V. Kojima explained that Phantom Pain was presented as a project unrelated to the Metal Gear franchise in order to better observe the public response to the Fox Engine's capabilities.[13] In September 2015, Julien Merceron, the overseer of the engine, quit Konami.

Hm. Didn't they ship 2 soccer games, Ground Zeros (which was a distilled version of the main game basically) and P.T. using Fox before MGSV? That's an awful lot of field testing for just about any engine.

Hm. Didn't they ship 2 soccer games, Ground Zeros (which was a distilled version of the main game basically) and P.T. using Fox before MGSV? That's an awful lot of field testing for just about any engine.
A football game cant show much of the capabilities of an engine. P.T was a demo taking place in one room and was going to be a full fledged game.
Ground Zeros was basically Phantom Pain and it was the only game to ever try to show most of the engine's capabilities. To me it does appear that it was a testing ground of the engine and a demonstration of its scaleability on different platforms farther limiting what could have been done

Wow, congratulations. I am more or less half way through chapter 2 (so no idea what is yet to come), but I just realized something else that I really really miss.

One of the most memorable things about earlier MGS games was the unforgettable moments. Infiltrating the two hostages in MGS1 in that closed complex but also later in the game when you had a room full of hostages (actually I think that was MGS2) where you had to use your directional microphone to figure out which one it is. Heck, there are so many memorable parts of earlier game. Nearly every single infiltration is one - moments where you infiltrate deeper and deeper into that huge unknown military complex only to then find that MGS at the end. Huge, deadly, powerful. The anticipation that build up resulted in was amazing. And in MGS3 (Snake Eater) the greatest moments were also its survival aspect: Hunt animals, but also be weary of the wild life in the jungle. And I still rate 'the End' as one of the greatest bosses of all time. That sniper duel was never quite surpassed. The part with Quiet is just too open and the problem there is that the open environment doesn't give you the opportunity to actual move from one place to the other without actually being visible. That jungle in MGS3 certainly did and it made for an amazing battle. Also the fact that that battle actually included for the most part taking your directional mic and listening for the snoring of your enemy. In MGS5, either the laser beam or the reflection of the scope is just far too obvious.

Sniper battles are about patience. And Snake Eater captured that essence perfectly.

Heck, I miss Snake Eater. If it wasn't a PS2, I think I'd go back to it far more often

PS: Sorry for all the ranting.
MGS 3is my greatest game ever too, but I am very happy with MGSV. Engaging gameplay wins everything for me !

That reminds me I have still not finished this game, because its the last MGS and I don't want it to end T_T ! Silly me !

Back