Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Digital only future will still happen. Difference being you'll download the digital copy of the game, and download the optional collectibles to 3D print in your own home. Or unlock in the game as real collectibles instead of virtual items.

I sense collectible piracy which will eliminate the point of collectible

@RenegadeRocks

Blue barrel!?
Also are those the names of your PMC, can you have more than one?

Blue barrels+ Stun guns : non lethal rubber rounds that put ppl to sleep. So I shoot from my AR and SNiper but they aren't Killed, just stunned(Cos I am Batman) and I can extract them later like a Boss !
And its the emblems I made. You have only one, I keep changing as I unlock words and symbols ! Love them :love: !

@RenegadeRocks how do youbable tonuse long text? Im limited to 2 digits

Press R1 on that screen and see the magic happen ;) . You can use unlocked words.

I find elements of the main story complete nonsense (the wacky stuff) but I'm thoroughly enjoying the grounded gameplay. I hate being forced to play stealthily in games and really like that you don't have too in MGS V which oddly makes taking out a facility completely stealthily so satisfying. Yes, I know that makes no sense!

I like the lack of hand holding and I love the fact that it's so damn hard to completely fail a mission because there are so many ways to tackle things.

This is it ! Loving the gameplay so much that I have no idea what all the story is doing ! The world reacts to me and plans work and fail very naturally! In fact I am so immersed in the gameplay world that I forget if the game even tells me any story , lol ! although I am still listening to all casette tapes, they are the new radio, and mind you ALL THE STORY is in there ! Very cool if u listen to them and u must as all th emajor story stuff is in the tapes. I listen to them between missions to cool off!

I can't figure out if Kojima is a genius or a lunatic. This game like other MGSes before it is an exercise in conflicting extremes.

The biggest being you are rewarded for stealth and being non violent while your priority outside of the main missions is operating and growing one of the deadliest PFCs known to man (the Motherbase isn't guarded by tranquilizers and rubber bullets). Its like owning Tyson and annually farming billions of chickens for consumption while being a hardcore vegan.

The game grates my sensibilities to no end with its nonsensical logic. I hate (and when I say hate and mean hate) this game for some of its choices in story and game design but I love the main gameplay like an addiction and can't put it down, which is something no other franchise has ever managed.

I can't figure out if Kojima is a genius or a lunatic. This game like other MGSes before it is an exercise in conflicting extremes.

The biggest being you are rewarded for stealth and being non violent while your priority outside of the main missions is operating and growing one of the deadliest PFCs known to man (the Motherbase isn't guarded by tranquilizers and rubber bullets). Its like owning Tyson and annually farming billions of chickens for consumption while being a hardcore vegan.

The game grates my sensibilities to no end with its nonsensical logic. I hate (and when I say hate and mean hate) this game for some of its choices in story and game design but I love the main gameplay like an addiction and can't put it down, which is something no other franchise has ever managed.
Speaking literally about Big Boss's background he does have blood in his hands. When it is necessary he would kill. When he is in the player's hands its the player who is in the battlefield and Kojima rewards YOU, not Big Boss. Missions dont fail if you go violent. You can go for a killing spree and still finish the game. It gives you an option. It just rewards you better for not killing and being skillfull,
It is a genius move because the game has self knowledge and knows when to separate the player and the character's story for the best gameplay possible.
Regardless, Big Boss was always trying to create a powerful army that cannot be easily eliminated by current or future enemies despite that he is not a mindless killer. A deadly army is a good deterrent.
If I recall this is why he wanted Metal Gear Zeke too.

The only thing I don't like in this game is that Snake doesn't speak even when spoken to! It feels as if he is mute as he just keeps looking at people and won't speak , even when ocelot or Miller directly ask for his opinion ! It feels so jarring in every way !

And What's the point of all teh Sutherland stuff if he ain't gonna talk! Sutherland anyways misses the gravity when he speaks, be sounds jaded and bored, maybe it's how Snake feels at this age and after the coma, but Hayter could have made each dialogue resonate more.

And What's the point of all teh Sutherland stuff if he ain't gonna talk! Sutherland anyways misses the gravity when he speaks, be sounds jaded and bored, maybe it's how Snake feels at this age and after the coma, but Hayter could have made each dialogue resonate more.
It's not bothering me, perhaps because I'm I never played enough of MGS4 to get used to Hayter but also I think because I'm ignoring the mental story and playing each mission like I'm Jack Bauer :yes:

Started my MGS run yesterday. Must say, even though I had watched my son play thru it the prologue
The only thing I don't like in this game is that Snake doesn't speak even when spoken to! It feels as if he is mute as he just keeps looking at people and won't speak , even when ocelot or Miller directly ask for his opinion ! It feels so jarring in every way !

This!! Esp. about being spoken to and not answering, its like my wife trying to talk to me.....

It's not bothering me, perhaps because I'm I never played enough of MGS4 to get used to Hayter but also I think because I'm ignoring the mental story and playing each mission like I'm Jack Bauer :yes:
These mental stories end up very touching and memorable so do pay some attention :) ! MGS3 is like the strongest landmark on my memory roads of my life. MGS makes unforgettable moments.

Listen to those tapes, they hide good stuff about characters. For example, there is info about who brought Snake to the hospital after the blast, something not mentioned in any cutscene.

@RenegadeRocks

Blue barrel = stun ammo.
Ok got it tanks.

Most likely Snake is semi-mute because Sutherland has been paid per word; I disliked Sutherland voice acting in GZ so to me the less he speaks the better it is anyway.

4 days left till I get my ahds on MGS V

Last edited:
The reason Snake doesn't speak much is probably because Keifer was too expensive and...

(Don't open unless you've beaten the game and this is only my theory)
Venom Snake is not Big Boss.

Last edited:
Opening few hours of the game are amazing.

And I'm very glad this was not removed from the game [it was first shown in GDC 2013 demo]:
osbirokepm.jpg

It is a poster advertising Kojima Production's new Metal Gear Game (the one we are playing now) despite that it no longer exists ;)

BTW, DD is the best buddy ever ! I ditched the D-walker and keep my DD around, guarantees no surprise alarms and use stolen vehicles for those long treks !
Keep petting him, lol ! He is so good at his job :D !

Back