Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay trailer @ TGS

I'm still not understanding how anyone can expect in-game animation to be on-par with a sripted motion capture sequence that is directed to match a specific cutscene in a game.

Blind allegeance to an hardware manufacturer could be an interesting lead...

I mean, this whole low-res CAM trailer 'it sucks' thing, to be followed up shortly by the high-res feed 'it's awesome!' thing has happened so so often before... yet there's always a cadre of people ready to make all their decisions based on HandyCam footage. ;)
Yeah, that's sooo deja vu :LOL: Hence the warning in the OP. Can't believe someone already judges texture quality out of it. Besides, some enemy animation in the first movie stream are obviously done like that for Kojima's jokes in the same tone as his jokes in his old trailers, so it's almost a fan service. Before you criticize them you should see how Snake crawls in mud, because that's the real gameplay point of this trailer.

Lastly, please respect the new TGS forum rules!
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/announcement.php?f=35

Don't people feel sort of...

:runaway:

I mean, this whole low-res CAM trailer 'it sucks' thing, to be followed up shortly by the high-res feed 'it's awesome!' thing has happened so so often before... yet there's always a cadre of people ready to make all their decisions based on HandyCam footage. ;)

I'm going to highlight this post of mine.

Now please, let's all learn a lesson (for the tenth time!) ;)

Thanks One - this trailer is *awesome!*

My mind was blown at the ending to the trailer. Why do you play such tricks Kojima?

yeah I know, i was like whoaa....young snake? I was thinking it might be otacon, but otacon doesnt smoke. and he looks nothing like raiden. Kojima playing tricks indeed. and why the hell was he grabbing there. :LOL:

Probably to mask himself more, As its common for artist to cover up erm..privates with something (leaf, etc). Or perhaps his suit needed more samples, and it was the first thing he could grab? XD

Wow, cool trailer. The bio-suit is going to be so much fun. All the sneaking and ambushing makes me grin already.

Man, talk about a system seller. Even if the final game sucked, based on MGS history and the trailers alone, people will be lining up to get this, especially in Japan.

I love some of the camera direction in the trailer, overhead shot of the bridge, under head shot of snake in soft focus to hard focus.

On the "10 most anticipated games of TGS" movie on gametrailers.com..

It says Snake has an arch enemy possessed by his dead cloned twin brother.

I didn't make that up.

Honestly, this game doesn't look any better than all the X360 games at all. The Ruliweb images show quite lowpoly models, enviroments and low-res textures, some are actually looking too bad even for COD2. Contrast is pretty low, too, giving the images a wahsed out look.

Gameplay might end up cool but it certainly won't be the nicest game on the PS3 or in the next gen...

Honestly, this game doesn't look any better than all the X360 games at all. The Ruliweb images show quite lowpoly models, enviroments and low-res textures, some are actually looking too bad even for COD2. Contrast is pretty low, too, giving the images a wahsed out look.

Gameplay might end up cool but it certainly won't be the nicest game on the PS3 or in the next gen...

It's about the total package. MGS series are known for their direction and atmosphere. You can pick any old FPS and it might have better rendered graphics, but the plot, cinematics, camera angles, music, and other things combine to make the MGS series a favorite. ID's games show you how leading edge engines can still lead to a dry user experience.

I mean, really, what other game has half-mechanical half-BOVINE? tanks walking around? Even if you don't think those cow-tanks are as detailed as enemies in Lair or GOW or other titles, they are far more exciting to watch in movement IMHO than what I've seen in other game trailers and the n'th spider/tripod alien.

MGS4 may not be the game with the best rasterization of PS3 games, but when you combine direction, music, plot, atmosphere, game play, enemy design, cinematics, it will outclass many games designed purely with a focus on rasterization quality.

(I tried to not mention specifics for comparison, alas, I need alteast one or two concrete examples. I'm also not sure why Laa-Yosh needs to bring up XB360 at all. I mean, from a GPU point of view, I would expect Laa-Yosh to assume rendering capabilities will be on par between the consoles)

Looks so-so IMO. The animation is a bit robotic. They need some of that Euphoria. Graphics are quite epic in scope but not stellar in quality. I think more contained environments will be looking better no matter the game. I think things needed to be taken more in consideration this gen than last is both seeing games in motion and game scope. No-one expects GTA to look as good in a screenshot as any other PS2 game because they need to cover a lot of environment. When it comes time for making comparisons (not during TGS unless you want to get strung up ;) ) people will need to compare like games with like environments. A close-corridor FPS versus a ruined city FPS would not be a fair comparison, for example.

I'm also not sure why Laa-Yosh needs to bring up XB360 at all. I mean, from a GPU point of view, I would expect Laa-Yosh to assume rendering capabilities will be on par between the consoles

I'm sorry about bringing up the other console, I haven't seen the TGS rules at that time; and I've only done this because previously I've seen MGS4 mentioned as the forst real nextgen game, looking better than anything on competing consoles (remember the '60 thousand polygons in the moustache only' stuff?) and now I think it's not any better than other competing games ready for release in the next 6 months.
I think it is unfair not to state that this is the case, that the two platforms do offer very similar possibilities and that it's the talent of the development teams, and the size of their budget, that will make good games and not the hardware. And that Sony's talk about 'nextgen won't start until the PS3' is bollocks.

Back