Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by swaaye, May 15, 2011.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

starting a new thread because the others are so negatively titled...

Anyway who else has played the DLC? I picked up Kasumi, Arrival, and Shadow Broker the other day. Other than only taking about an hour to beat they were quality productions. Actually I havent gotten to Arrival yet. About $25 for all 3. I got the whole Digital Deluxe edition of the game for $20 though lol.

2. PixResearch

Regular

Yeah - played them all through on insanity recently.

Lair of the Shadow Broker is a truly excellent extension to the original game. Better than a lot of the main game missions IMO.

Kasumi's mission was pretty cool.
    Zaeed's mission's a bit average.

I actually really liked Arrival, perhaps because it felt like it brought ME3 forwards a bit and set the scene but after Shadow Broker it was my favourite.

3. nightshade

nightshade Interwebz Hijacker !
    Veteran

How many here have read the novels?

I recently finished the third one and I just can't wait for the 4th one, hopefully the new writer William Dietz is just as good as Drew Karpyshyn

4. swaaye

Legend

Hmmm novels? Might have to check them out.

Zaeed's mission comes with the DD edition and I thought it was ok. Kasumi's was cool but it did feel like a simplistic Deus Ex / Hitman experience. Shadow Broker is indeed probably my favorite at this point but I need to do Arrival still. The Hammerhead DLC missions were rather dumb though I thought.... Just weird, like a vehicle platformer or something. ;)

5. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Zaeed comes with every new copy along with the hammerhead missions. :p

I'd skip The Arrival unless you're really desperate. It's not very good. I think it was done by the EA Montreal folks. I understand that the reaper tech could easily explain all the weird shit going on, but they don't even reference the indoctrination. I thought it was also a missed opportunity not to reference the first game's DLC, Bring Down the Sky, which involved the humans and batarians and dealt exactly with the extermination of a world's population via asteroid. It just feels poorly thought out, and maybe it should have served as the opening for ME3 instead (i.e. big event at the end of The Arrival then cut to the title card or something).

Dietz's attempt should be neat since he won't be completely constrained by game events. I thought he did a decent job on the Halo: CE stuff that wasn't in the game; I guess it's just that people are making some rather unfair comparisons to Nylund who had a lot more creative freedom (and it's not like he's perfect either). *shrug*

6. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I've got all DLC before playing ME2 and they all seemd well integrated into main storyline. Maybe expect Arrival, which is not the best.
    Shadow Brocker is a must! That ship is awesome!

I'm ready to jump through Omega Relay, but want to scan every single planet (silly my) before doing so :razz:! I hop to finish ME2 in couple of hours so I can devote spare time to Witcher 2 :wink:

7. swaaye

Legend

Yeah I think the DLCs mostly work best if you do them before beating the game because they occasionally reference the primary storyline as if you're in it yet.