Mass Effect 3

I think it will be different. All the various parallel storylines like the genophage, the geth-quarian conflict and such will reach their breaking point in this episode, and Shepard will have to try to push them towards the best possible conclusion. You could say it's just another "recruitment" mission for a race, but even a lot of ME2 missions were a lot more than that, advancing the larger story threads (like Tali's trial exposing the internal debates of the Flotilla).

Most of the previous team members will only appear in missions associated with the conflicts they're involved in, and so maybe even their survival - or lack of it - will play a role in how things turn out in the end. They will probably remain non-playable for the most part though, like Mordin in the Salarian home world mission - he won't become a team member but you'll be able to talk to him, see him in action and so on.

In the end it's still just a series of a few basic mission types, different from open world RPGs like the Witcher, but I agree that the context does matter. And there's probably going to be a lot of revelations, an inevitable visit to the Reaper's home world and so on. Bioware listened to almost every other bit of criticism, so why wouldn't they pay attention to this one? The added RPG elements will also help to bring it closer to an ideal version of ME, see here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/715589

So I have great hopes for this game.

I'll be happy as long as Conrad Verner is on the team.

I dunno if the Q&A part is included in the video I've linked to, but IIRC the guy said they do want to include the Hanar Spectre. Not sure if he'll be playable though.

I want Khalee Sanders in here, would be very odd to see only Anderson but not Khalee after the events of Retribution.

Apparently Microsoft has accidentally leaked a prerelease version of the public beta due in January. GAF has images and movies, people who played it seem to like it even if it's far from finished.

I managed to play it. I was checking in on the Xbox Live Preview Forums when all these people kept talking about Mass Effect 3. Went to the pre-release tab and there it was. Got to play the RPG mode. And yeah, it was pretty unpolished. Characters would freeze in place or they would disappear during a cinematic.

RPG mode?

Yup, there are 3 modes now:

Action Mode: For those who want to emphasize action and combat and minimize story management. Action mode will set automatic replies in conversation and a normal difficulty.

Story Mode: For those who want to emphasize story immersion and minimize combat pressure. Story mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a minimal combat difficulty.

RPG Mode: For those who want to explore both realms of story and combat. RPG mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a normal combat difficulty.

I played a little bit of the beta before EA locked us out of it last night. :cry:

They're basically trying to sell to 3 audiences at once, from the Gears crowd to the text adventure one.
Okay, the later one is a little bit of a stretch ;)

And RPG mode was the only mode I got to play only because I wanted to play Red Dead a little bit and take a break from the beta. At first I thought the beta was a little 'gift' for those who participated in the preview program... Guess not. But after hearing that this was an internal/private beta, I feel lucky I got to play it a little.

Fine by me. It's a good idea IMO. Appeal to those who aren't so gamer crazy and just want to see the story whilst not neglecting the gamer. I wish witcher 2 had that.. :p

I might do story first time around maybe... I do my more difficult runs in new game+. :p

It really would make sense for every RPG to have the option of skipping/simplifying the combat. For me, the shooting was stupidly easy on my first playthrough on Normal but when my friend got the game and started it up, he had to hand the controller to me to get past the tutorial level since he kept on dying. Some people just have no hand-eye coordination.

It really would make sense for every RPG to have the option of skipping/simplifying the combat. For me, the shooting was stupidly easy on my first playthrough on Normal but when my friend got the game and started it up, he had to hand the controller to me to get past the tutorial level since he kept on dying. Some people just have no hand-eye coordination.

Isn't that the reason we have easy modes ?

Maybe easy isn't easy enough? :p

Maybe they have feedback from a female population regarding the story taking precedence. Would be interesting to know whether more casuals would like the story mode. Changing face of gaming? At least expanding the audience is nice. :) Everyone can win as long as bioware holds up on all fronts of story telling and game play. :p

RPG mode is there, nothing's going away. They're not taking away from the game, they're only adding new functionality to increase its appeal.

AlStrong said:
Maybe easy isn't easy enough? :p

Maybe they have feedback from a female population regarding the story taking precedence. Would be interesting to know whether more casuals would like the story mode. Changing face of gaming? At least expanding the audience is nice. :) Everyone can win as long as bioware holds up on all fronts of story telling and game play. :p

I've suggested this multiple times, so I definitely applaud the move. But to be effective for my wife, the combat should basically have a press x/a to skip :) That could very well do it though!

Gameplay is the essence of a game... no gameplay no game...
I don't want to go back to early CD games, which were nice videos with QTE ever so often.
Why not watch a serie/movie then ?

Gameplay is the essence of a game... no gameplay no game...
I don't want to go back to early CD games, which were nice videos with QTE ever so often.
Why not watch a serie/movie then ?

So you are saying that the only gameplay aspect in Mass Effect is the combat?

Back