Lookin for 42"+ hdtv...

radeonic2 said:
well besides the issues (freezing up mainly) ,the westy 42" 1080p it seems like a good deal.
I'd get it but not sure if my parents will want to go for a bigger unit since my dad has poor eyesight.
my mom also wanted to look at some sets at the navy base.. my grandpa is a vet...
Sometimes too much eye movement is a problem, specially for older people.
I personally dont like much eye movement.
A viewing distance calculator: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

pascal said:
Sometimes too much eye movement is a problem, specially for older people.
I personally dont like much eye movement.
A viewing distance calculator: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
The problem with my dad's eyes are he has diabeties and that (can) screws up your eyes pretty bad.. he has tri focals.
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_rnib003653.hcsp
He has problems with the blood vessels breaking or something so he had laser eye surgery to seal them and that in addtion caused little little pinholes where he can't see.
I think this how bad it is judging from what he's said:
Proliferative diabetic retinopathy

As the eye condition progresses, it can sometimes cause the blood vessels in the retina to become blocked. If this happens then new blood vessels form in the eye. This is called proliferative diabetic retinopathy, and is nature’s way of trying to repair the damage so that the retina has a new blood supply.

Unfortunately, these new blood vessels are weak. They are also in the wrong place - growing on the surface of the retina and into the vitreous gel. As a result, these blood vessels can bleed very easily and cause scar tissue to form in the eye. The scarring pulls and distorts the retina. When the retina is pulled out of position this is called retinal detachment.
Proliferative retinopathy is rarer than background retinopathy.
The new blood vessels will rarely affect your vision, but their consequences, such as bleeding or retinal detachment may cause your vision to get worse. Visual loss in this case is often sudden and severe.
Your eyesight may become blurred and patchy as the bleeding obscures part of your vision.
Without treatment, total loss of vision may happen in proliferative retinopathy.
With treatment, sight-threatening diabetic problems can be prevented if caught early enough. However, laser treatment will not restore vision already lost.
He has trouble recongnizing faces far away...
He has viewed my sisters/ my brother in law's dell 2300Mp projector setup and said he still can't read some of the print so I don't think even huge displays will solve that but being able to see faces and the like more cleary should be atleast improved tho.
My mom wanted atleast a 42" and the westy fits the bit for PQ and price but I asked my dad about big screens and he didn't seem excited.
He does watch tv but I think he may not be really interested in a bigtv for obvious reasons- his eyesight.
Oh and they might want to hang it in the wall when me move and you should be able to do that with an lcd right?
I would personally love the westy.. would be great to hook my pc up and enjoy some high res bigtv widescreen gaming.
and of course watching HD trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about your dad´s eyes.

I think the best thing to do is get him to do some tests in some stores to decide the size/type of HDTV. He may like the LCDs brightness. Also 1080i or 720p will probably not make much difference for him.

Back