OLED 4K is no joke!

I don't get the obsession with 4k. On any tv set that is going to fit in a normal sized living room with people looking at it from a normal viewing distance its not going to make much, if any difference. Especially not with the pretty low bitrate offered by the likes of Netflix and Youtube. I rather have prettier pixels than more pixels in this case.

That depends on how much view angle you want to fill with your TV. For example, the 42" TV in my living room is ~5m from the sofa. People used to think that's big, especially when compared to my old 29" CRT TV, but now it looks small. Now, if you are going to double the view angle with a, say 80" TV, then you'll see why 4K makes sense in this situation.

From 5 meters away you cannot even resolve a 720p image on a 42 inch set no matter how great your eyesight is. Sitting 5 meters away from an 80 inch tv is comparable to sitting a little less than 3 meters away from a 50 inch display. That is just about the maxiumum distance from where you can still reap the benefits of a 1080p resolution (though by no means to their fullest extent). 5 meters is quite a lot.

Last edited:
From 5 meters away you cannot even resolve a 720p image on a 42 inch set no matter how great your eyesight is. Sitting 5 meters away from an 80 inch tv is comparable to sitting a little less than 3 meters away from a 50 inch display. That is just about the maxiumum distance from where you can still reap the benefits of a 1080p resolution. 5 meters is quite a lot.

Actually, for a 42" TV @ 5m, 1080p gives roughly 0.33 arc minute per pixel, which is also roughly the limit of a human eye's resolution (normally thought to be ~0.3 arc minute). That's why I'm saying that when you double the size (a 84" TV) you'll want to double the resolution as well.
This is not just some theoretical calculations either. I have a 24" 4K monitor for my gaming rig. Playing a 3D game in 4K looks much more lively than in 1080p (or "2K"). Apparently when you are above a certain resolution it tricks your eyes into believing it's real, at least that works for me.

Yeah that's why I said it's not a bad thing at all for monitors but for tvs I'd say resolution isn't that important. Sure, if you have a 80+ inch tv you'd probably want 4k or higher but how many people can fit a 80 inch tv in their living room? That's the real issue. I think for the majority of consumers anything above 50 ~ 60 inch is probably getting too big to fit.

Not saying 4k isn't needed, I'd buy a 4k tv over a 1080p model if the price difference was within 100 ~ 300 bucks but if today I were to spend 1000 ~ 2000 bucks on a tv I'd take OLED at 1080p over a 4k LCD screen.

I'd say for anything around 50 inch you are probably better of with prettier pixels than more pixels and until high bitrate 4k content becomes readily available 4k isn't really that useful for tv's anyway.

Yeah that's why I said it's not a bad thing at all for monitors but for tvs I'd say resolution isn't that important. Sure, if you have a 80+ inch tv you'd probably want 4k or higher but how many people can fit a 80 inch tv in their living room? That's the real issue. I think for the majority of consumers anything above 50 ~ 60 inch is probably getting too big to fit.

Not saying 4k isn't needed, I'd buy a 4k tv over a 1080p model if the price difference was within 100 ~ 300 bucks but if today I were to spend 1000 ~ 2000 bucks on a tv I'd take OLED at 1080p over a 4k LCD screen.

I'd say for anything around 50 inch you are probably better of with prettier pixels than more pixels and until high bitrate 4k content becomes readily available 4k isn't really that useful for tv's anyway.

Again, that's why I said that depends on how much view angle you want to fill. If you want a real "home cinema" experience you'll want a large view angle and then you'll want 4K. For example, when I'm watching a movie on my 24" monitor, it actually fills a much larger view angle than my 42" TV (probably even larger than if I have a 84" TV in my living room).
If you compare between high dynamic range and larger view angle I think you'll find that larger view angle will have more profound immediate effect. After all, that's why most people still go to movie theatre (and the dynamic range of a movie projector is not great).

When I go for the home theatre experience at home, I move the couch forward to about 1-5-2.0m in front of my 50" 1080p Plasma. I must say though at that distance I can see a very pronounced difference in the sharpness of regular 1080p content and active 3D 1080p content (the 3D is much sharper and nicer looking). I'm assuming the sharpness is coming from the fact that 2x 1080p feeds are being fed to my brain at the same time. I can only assume a 4K feed of the same content in 2D would look as good or better so for that reason I must admit I'm very keen on 4K.

That said, when I looked at the 4K sets in the shop recently, the images actually looks too sharp to the point of feeling unrealistic. I know that's a strange thing to say but it was similar to the feeling I get when watching a high frame rate movie. It may of course have been that the content they were using actually was high frame rate and thus that was the cause of the unsettling effect. I must admit I didn't try to work it out at the time.

I has no such issue with the OLED 4K TV though (which was showing different content), so perhaps it was purely a content issue.

I think the primary reason for the 4K wow-factor isn't the resolution anyway. It's the fact that manufacturers put their top of the line panels into the things. On top of that you have the big electronics department stores with their sponsored tv show rooms clearly designed to make these shiny things look as magnificent as possible compared to the little guys vying for your attention back in the peanut gallery.

Last edited:
@pjbliverpool you realize you're contradicting yourself, in the other threads its 'realism = good, nonrealistic = bad' but here you're saying 'realism = bad, nonrealistic = good' :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I go for the home theatre experience at home, I move the couch forward to about 1-5-2.0m in front of my 50" 1080p Plasma. I must say though at that distance I can see a very pronounced difference in the sharpness of regular 1080p content and active 3D 1080p content (the 3D is much sharper and nicer looking). I'm assuming the sharpness is coming from the fact that 2x 1080p feeds are being fed to my brain at the same time. I can only assume a 4K feed of the same content in 2D would look as good or better so for that reason I must admit I'm very keen on 4K.

That said, when I looked at the 4K sets in the shop recently, the images actually looks too sharp to the point of feeling unrealistic. I know that's a strange thing to say but it was similar to the feeling I get when watching a high frame rate movie. It may of course have been that the content they were using actually was high frame rate and thus that was the cause of the unsettling effect. I must admit I didn't try to work it out at the time.

I has no such issue with the OLED 4K TV though (which was showing different content), so perhaps it was purely a content issue.
I think what you saw was some 4K footage with a lot of sharpening filters and the TV settings kept at "ridiculous mode" which is what shops do, because we all know that The People see differently to us, the average B3D forum dweller...
That's my experience so far anyway.

Nope, in the console threads you're going about, realism uber alles, agreed? and here in this thread its like
Oh nos, 4k is too realistic, me don't like, higher framerate is too realistic, me don't like

In the other, completely unrelated computer graphics thread I said I prefer the photorealistic look of one game over the less photorealistic look of another game (in one particular setting no less).

In this thread I said; quote: "I looked at the 4K sets in the shop recently, the image actually looks too sharp to the point of feeling unrealistic." I also pointed out that "I has no such issue with the OLED 4K TV" and that "perhaps it was purely a content issue".

So how you've managed to draw an equivalencey there is beyond me.

Also, thanks for the thread de-rail.

So how you've managed to draw an equivalencey there is beyond me.
Because of your statement, mate have another read
That said, when I looked at the 4K sets in the shop recently, the images actually looks too sharp to the point of feeling unrealistic. I know that's a strange thing to say but it was similar to the feeling I get when watching a high frame rate movie.

'4k looks too sharp that it feels unrealistic' taken with the following statement 'high framerate movies are unrealistic' (but in fact their framerate is actually closer to reality than 24fps)

if you breakup you statement as a mathematical equation you will see what I have said is correct, you're implying when something is closer to how it actually is it doesnt look as realistic

you even hint at it its 'illogicalness' yourself and I quote you 'I know that's a strange thing to say'

If thats not what you're implying then I apologize

Because of your statement, mate have another read

'4k looks too sharp that it feels unrealistic' taken with the following statement 'high framerate movies are unrealistic' (but in fact their framerate is actually closer to reality than 24fps)

if you breakup you statement as a mathematical equation you will see what I have said is correct, you're implying when something is closer to how it actually is it doesnt look as realistic

you even hint at it its 'illogicalness' yourself and I quote you 'I know that's a strange thing to say'

If thats not what you're implying then I apologize

You're right, whatever it was that you think I was implying, it had absolutely nothing to do with Uncharted 4. So we should probably leave that game out of this TV thread. Because they are completely different things.

Last edited:
DOOM comes with a UI opacity setting that when you mouseover it for info it states can be useful for color retention on OLED TVs.

DOOM comes with a UI opacity setting that when you mouseover it for info it states can be useful for color retention on OLED TVs.

Nice. I wish every console game had that setting. I had image retention issues (not the same thing as inage burn in) after playing thousand hours of Gears of War and the nonalterable HUD. Fortunately, the image retention was fixed after several hours of running image sweeps.

In perfect world, I want a customizable UI where not only can you alter the transparency but you can alter where exactly they are and even turn off individual items.

Back