OLED 4K is no joke!

There are a bunch of 3D video players for SteamVR. Pick a file and choose the 3D format in the player.

But I have doubts that you will find watching a movie in a HMD to be enjoyable. That's a lot of face and eyeball time in an uncomfortable heated scuba mask with camera panning horrors and stuff from a traditional movie.

I don't mind it. It's the only way I'll watch a 3D movie as it's a much better experience than watching the same movie on a TV with the ability to play back 3D movies. Even with the low resolution panels of the Quest headset, it's still far superior to a TV.

Regards,
SB

I don't mind it. It's the only way I'll watch a 3D movie as it's a much better experience than watching the same movie on a TV with the ability to play back 3D movies. Even with the low resolution panels of the Quest headset, it's still far superior to a TV.

Regards,
SB

Interesting. In what ways would you say it's superior? I assume there is no cross talk, and you can obviously make the screen as big as you like. Is the sense of depth better too? I'd say there's little room for improvement in that regard on my C6.

I'd honestly be surprised if the overall experience is better than doing 3D up close on a 4k OLED screen but I might give it a try tonight if I can find some material. I only have an original Rift so resolution will be rubbish but perhaps there are other aspects which can make up for it.

Regards,
SB

I thought it was a pretty crappy experience on PSVR, the low resolution made everything look really bad.

Interesting. In what ways would you say it's superior? I assume there is no cross talk, and you can obviously make the screen as big as you like. Is the sense of depth better too? I'd say there's little room for improvement in that regard on my C6.

I'd honestly be surprised if the overall experience is better than doing 3D up close on a 4k OLED screen but I might give it a try tonight if I can find some material. I only have an original Rift so resolution will be rubbish but perhaps there are other aspects which can make up for it.

A lot of things. You're always in the sweet spot of viewing. Little to no cross talk as you've mentioned. The depth is better, IMO. At least for me, yes, it does appear to have more realistic depth than viewing on a TV. Adjustable size of the "movie screen" allows you to feel like you're seeing it on a REALLY large screen (limited to an extent by the FOV of your headset).

Speaking of adjustability, depending on the viewing app, you can manually adjust a LOT of settings WRT how the 3D media is presented. The virtual screen can be moved "closer" or "farther" from your eyes in addition to how large the virtual screen is. You can adjust the separation and thus tweak the "depth" of the 3D, really handy if your IPD isn't exactly the same as what they used when filming the source media. That last is helpful for me as my IPD doesn't fall within "standard" range. And again, depending on the app, you can even make the virtual large screen "curved" versus being a flat virtual screen.

One of my favorite features is you can even pick the setting where the screen is. My favorites depending on mood are "Drive In Theater", "Movie Theater", no setting. I like the Drive In Theater one a lot as it reminds me of when I was younger and used to go to Drive In Theaters with my family and later on with dates. :) It's amazing how your perception of how large the screen is can change depending on what setting you choose to set the virtual screen in.

A little weird at first, but it's kind of nice to be able to lie down on my back in bed to watch a movie. I guess you could achieve something similar with a projector aimed at your ceiling. :p But it's an incredibly relaxing way to watch a movie, IMO.

I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of at the moment, but it's been a few months since I last watched a 3D movie.

It's obviously not VR, but at least for me, the 3D is much better on the Quest than it is on a TV.

The main drawback for me is the FOV.

I thought it was a pretty crappy experience on PSVR, the low resolution made everything look really bad.

Yeah, the Rift CV1 has a similar resolution to the PSVR and that was more of a trade-off versus a TV capable of 3D playback (low resolution, very obvious and large pixels combined with the screen door effect). The Quest has much better resolution (still needs to be better) which leads to a significantly better media viewing experience. PSVR 2 should be even better, assuming it has a good media viewing app with multiple settings to control how the media is presented and rendered.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
A lot of things. You're always in the sweet spot of viewing. Little to no cross talk as you've mentioned. The depth is better, IMO. At least for me, yes, it does appear to have more realistic depth than viewing on a TV. Adjustable size of the "movie screen" allows you to feel like you're seeing it on a REALLY large screen (limited to an extent by the FOV of your headset).

Speaking of adjustability, depending on the viewing app, you can manually adjust a LOT of settings WRT how the 3D media is presented. The virtual screen can be moved "closer" or "farther" from your eyes in addition to how large the virtual screen is. You can adjust the separation and thus tweak the "depth" of the 3D, really handy if your IPD isn't exactly the same as what they used when filming the source media. That last is helpful for me as my IPD doesn't fall within "standard" range. And again, depending on the app, you can even make the virtual large screen "curved" versus being a flat virtual screen.

One of my favorite features is you can even pick the setting where the screen is. My favorites depending on mood are "Drive In Theater", "Movie Theater", no setting. I like the Drive In Theater one a lot as it reminds me of when I was younger and used to go to Drive In Theaters with my family and later on with dates. :) It's amazing how your perception of how large the screen is can change depending on what setting you choose to set the virtual screen in.

A little weird at first, but it's kind of nice to be able to die down on my back in bed to watch a movie. I guess you could achieve something similar with a projector aimed at your ceiling. :p But it's an incredibly relaxing way to watch a movie, IMO.

I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of at the moment, but it's been a few months since I last watched a 3D movie.

It's obviously not VR, but at least for me, the 3D is much better on the Quest than it is on a TV.

The main drawback for me is the FOV.

Yeah, the Rift CV1 has a similar resolution to the PSVR and that was more of a trade-off versus a TV capable of 3D playback (low resolution, very obvious and large pixels combined with the screen door effect). The Quest has much better resolution (still needs to be better) which leads to a significantly better media viewing experience. PSVR 2 should be even better, assuming it has a good media viewing app with multiple settings to control how the media is presented and rendered.

Regards,
SB

Thanks, this definitely gives me hope that I'll be able to go on enjoying 3D films even after my C6 dies (which won't be long I think). I didn't get a chance to try it out last night but will see if I have time today.

If it's a C6 then it's just a matter of time before burn in happens in enough spots to want to upgrade or make viewing unenjoyable. The early oled tech simply wasn't built to last.

I wonder if sticking a bunch of heatsink blocks behind the TV, or running a constant fan behind the TV will prolong the oled life

Question what video player would people recommend for the Rift?

I originally used Whirligig, but I haven't used that one in a while so I don't know what the state of it is.

Currently I use either DeoVR or Skybox VR. You can find them both in the Oculus store as well as on Steam. There's some other ones I've tried, but I can't remember the names of them off hand. Both are free to use. I haven't tried any paid VR media apps.

Regards,
SB

What makes you think your C6 is on the way out?

Yeah as BRiT said, burn in. It has a pretty bad burn in along the bottom of the screen from a news banner, but worse than that, there's a big oval area in the middles of the screen that can't display yellow properly anymore with yellow appearing green tinted. It's actually not noticeable in the vast majority of content but with something like the Simpsons the characters look like they're sea sick whenever they pass through the region.

I assume it'll get worse over time. I'm just not ready to give up my 3d and curved screen yet.

Back