Live TV through Xbox One

Hi

Sorry if this is a noddy question

I've been running my live TV feed through my xbox one since launch and have generally been happy with it. I've bought a new, larger 4K TV a few weeks ago which is working fine but lead me to thinking about image quality through the xbox.

I've been through the HDTV Calibration on the X1 and the picture for both games and TV looks good. However I know that for best results for gaming I've switched on Gaming Made on my TV and switched off a number of other options to help with input lag for gaming (part of the calibration process).

Here's my question. I'm guessing that by switching all of these options off on my TV to benefit gaming, by default I'm not going to be able to benefit from the best picture quality I could get for live TV? Is that right? (i.e. TV / movie and games have differing calibration requirements?)

Any helpful thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Just switch your TV off gaming mode when you are not using the Xbox?

The TV is controlling what you see there, not the Xbox.

The Xbox may be futzing with it's video in feed in some way, I have no idea, but that's a separate issue from your TV settings.

And yes game mode is supposed to make the picture worse I suppose, as pretty much by definition it's reducing image processing. I just got my first TV with a proper and tested to work game mode, but I have not actually got around to using it yet. I want to say it looked fine to me in the .2 seconds I turned it on so far.

Last edited:
A little OT, but I hate the Game Mode setting on my Sammy Plasma. I lose too much control of my picture settings. I get no control over contrast or color or HDMI darkness setting . The picture is so washed out that I refuse to use the setting.
Funny thing is I don't notice any difference in controller latency between normal and game mode.

If it's not easy to switch game mode on and off, you could always try calibrating it without game mode, looking at a couple of movies, then try calibrating it with game mode and see if you notice a difference. Since it's just an eyeball calibration using the built-in tool, you may as well just take a couple of minutes and fool around with it.

Thanks for the comments.

All helpful

If I use the calibration from the X1 and don't stick on the Game Mode option then will that give a decent image? I was assuming the calibration was tied to the Game Mode being on for the X1? Is that wrong?

thanks again for any help

Thanks for the comments.

All helpful

If I use the calibration from the X1 and don't stick on the Game Mode option then will that give a decent image? I was assuming the calibration was tied to the Game Mode being on for the X1? Is that wrong?

thanks again for any help

You can use the calibration tool regardless of how your tv is setup. They do recommend a number of things in the calibration tool, like turning on game mode, but it will work regardless. Just try calibrating it with the setting on and off, and see if you notice a difference. On my tv, I there wasn't much of a difference i could notice, but I had disabled most of the image processing stuff like dynamic contrast etc anyways.

A little OT, but I hate the Game Mode setting on my Sammy Plasma. I lose too much control of my picture settings. I get no control over contrast or color or HDMI darkness setting . The picture is so washed out that I refuse to use the setting.
Funny thing is I don't notice any difference in controller latency between normal and game mode.

Weird. My Samsung LCD still lets me control those things in game mode. I think I lose some of the advanced settings, and you can't change the picture mode (Standard, movie). Otherwise, it's basically the same. Depending on the tv, game mode can make an appreciable difference for input lag, but on other tvs it doesnt' really matter.

Weird. My Samsung LCD still lets me control those things in game mode. I think I lose some of the advanced settings, and you can't change the picture mode (Standard, movie). Otherwise, it's basically the same. Depending on the tv, game mode can make an appreciable difference for input lag, but on other tvs it doesnt' really matter.
My Sammy is an older 50 inch plasma.
Amazing picture, but the game mode is terrible. To turn it on I have to go into setup and turn it on thru entertainment mode. Once on it locks out every picture slider including the cell light. No contrast, brightness, color or sharpness control.
It locks out all detail settings and only allows me to change aspect ratio, digital noise reduction and film mode. I have tested gaming in both game mode as well as normal mode and I find no noticeable deference in controller response time.
So I stick with normal mode when I game.
Also game mode blocks out custum sound ass well. That means no EQ controll. My Sammy is a 2008 model that my father gave me. It even has 3D, but it requires a PC to run the IR controller for the glasses.

My Sammy is an older 50 inch plasma.
Amazing picture, but the game mode is terrible. To turn it on I have to go into setup and turn it on thru entertainment mode. Once on it locks out every picture slider including the cell light. No contrast, brightness, color or sharpness control.
It locks out all detail settings and only allows me to change aspect ratio, digital noise reduction and film mode. I have tested gaming in both game mode as well as normal mode and I find no noticeable deference in controller response time.
So I stick with normal mode when I game.

Damn. Game mode on mine is still annoying to turn off. It's buried a bit in the menus. But the image quality looks pretty much the same to my eyes, so I leave it on.

A bit off-topic, but if you have WiiU it is handy to test your TV's input lag with.
On WiiU browser open
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php
Place the WiiU gamepad beside the TV and take photographs (with a DSLR camera, as your phone camera is probably too slow).
As the gamepad often has less lag than modern TV's you can calculate the difference from series of photos and take an average.
Not a very precise measurement, but this way I was actually able to tell my Samsung plasma has some 10ms difference between game mode and normal.

Back