"Linger In Shadows" PS3 demo by Plastic

What would be the native res?

Hard to say... but I would be guessing 640x480 with some AA (4x?) based off of resizing some bitmap captures from several scenes. Even then... there's a bunch of bloom, blur etc going on.

My PC isn't up to playing this, but I thought 'never fear, the PS3 can play it!' Well not so. Copying the file 'blahblahblah..._h264.avi' to the [PS3/VIDEO] folder on a USB drive, it's not found. Is there an easy peasy way to get this video detected and played? By easy I mean renaming it to .mp4 or something. If it involves downloading software I've lost interest!

download mkv2vob, I am not 100% sure, but I think it accepts all input types not just mkv as it's name suggests.

output to a vob file and you should be fine. Only takes a few minutes to do a full movie as long as it doesn't need to reencode the video it should take a minute or so.

Aint as easy as renaming, but try this: Download MP4Box
put MP4Box and the video in the same directory, open a cmd-window and change into that directory. Then copy-paste that into the cmd-window (adjust filename if needed, note that you need to omit the .avi extension):

Code:
set FILENAME=plastic_lingerinshadows_partyversion_nosoundfx_h264
MP4Box -aviraw video "%FILENAME%.avi"
MP4Box -add "%FILENAME%_video.h264" -add "%FILENAME%.avi#audio" output.mp4

Watched the demo and its nice. But it certainly is no technical showcase for the PS3.

Aint as easy as renaming, but try this: Download MP4Box
put MP4Box and the video in the same directory, open a cmd-window and change into that directory. Then copy-paste that into the cmd-window (adjust filename if needed, note that you need to omit the .avi extension):

Code:
set FILENAME=plastic_lingerinshadows_partyversion_nosoundfx_h264
MP4Box -aviraw video "%FILENAME%.avi"
MP4Box -add "%FILENAME%_video.h264" -add "%FILENAME%.avi#audio" output.mp4

Watched the demo and its nice. But it certainly is no technical showcase for the PS3.

Agree. Artistically its very similar in lots of way to MGS4, though i think you have to watch the high quality version to draw direct comparisons. Framerate seemed at points to be dipping in the mid teens. Best thing of course was the cat and dog fur! Very nice indeed.

It must be remembered that this is not a professional production. Of course it isn't a showcase for the PS3, we're talking about a very small team whom Sony gave a devkit and told "make something cool". For a demoscene production it's got some very high quality stuff, and kudos to Plastic for learning the architecture well enough to be able to make this run as well as it does. Bonzaj himself said it was a nightmare and it's to be expected when big professional gamedev studios can't use it properly yet as well.

Despite inane comparisons in some gaming blogs when word of this started spreading, it would never be a match for state of the art engines like Guerrilla's or ND's or Insomniac's. The demoscene has lagged behind the gamedev community, technically, for many years now, since huge amounts of money started pouring in at the game studios in an effort to improve, mostly, graphics.

That said, the demo has _awesome_ music and a very good atmosphere, and the obvious continuity problems should be resolved in the final version, or explained at least for, as one of Plastic's members said at the pouet.net boards, "trust me, there is a reason for everything" and something on the lines of "it's not exactly a demo, but it's not a game either".

Anyway, despite the original spirit of the demoscene being one of maxing the hardware and eye/ear candy, eventually design became as much or even more important, and so, I seize this opportunity to continue my demoscene evangelization saga by linking to what I believe to be the best demo ever made (to this day), called Lifeforce by the demogroup ASD. They have made technically more impressive demos, and other groups too, but the design of this thing is just awesome, and it's getting much love from the demoscene community since it's release at the Assembly 07 demoparty last year, where it won the demo competition. It was also recently awarded the scene.org Best Demo award for 2007. Check it out here:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=31571

It runs fine on my p4 2.8 with 512 MB and an nvidia 5900xt at 1152x864 and probably higher, but there's also a link to a video.

This represents for me the best of what the demoscene has to offer and offers perhaps a new light under which to look at Linger in Shadows, and demoscene productions in general, instead of comparing demos to commercial, professionally developed games, and expecting them to break graphical boundaries.

Wow... this post is bigger than I expected. Hope I didn't bore you. Ha! :)

I saw the GT small version and was totally not blown away! After the internet hype I was pretty shocked to see next to nothing of technical excellence going on. Apart from the cat fur, everything else looked conventional. For example the smoky thing was just a cloud of rotating 2D sprites rather than some clever smoky system. The artistry echo'd Team ICO, in an interesting, surreal world, but demo's, real demos, aren't about artsy-fartsy nonsense save as a lose dressing for hardcore coding. Overall I don't get what the excitement was. And how could this be linked to the supposed 'BBC game'? If this is the 'BBC Game', that reporter got overly excited over absolutely nothing!

I see no need to try getting this to run on PS3 now, although seeing how Npl went to all the trouble I'll give it a shot - may prove useful ;)

I was pretty shocked to see next to nothing of technical excellence going on.

Plastic only has 1 coder. One guy who has never developed something on the PS3 before released this. I don't know what you were expecting.

But then if your PC is not even capable of playing back a video of this demo, you probably have not been able to watch several years of scene demos. And understandably your expectations will be totally off the mark with regards to technical excellence.

Plastic only has 1 coder. One guy who has never developed something on the PS3 before released this. I don't know what you were expecting.

But then if your PC is not even capable of playing back a video of this demo, you probably have not been able to watch several years of scene demos. And understandably your expectations will be totally off the mark with regards to technical excellence.

I have to say that I agree about not not being impressed... the problem is that people made too big a deal of this and claimed that this is the title that the BBC reporter was blown away by. With that in mind when I saw the video, I certainly was not impressed either. Now that I know it was just one programmer and am pretty sure this is not the same thing the BBC reporter saw I guess my expectations are more in line and I am suitably impressed.

Expectations were set by comments like :
Original Post: A website known as 4Sceners have uploaded an image gallery of screen caps they received when they viewed an amazing in-game demo on the PlayStation 3. They said the game's graphics were truly in-game and looked better than Crysis, KILLZONE 2, and Metal Gear Solid 4.
and...
News has just hit the internet about a “in-game” demo that is “amazing” running on the PS3. This game seems to be the game that had a BBC reporter blown away.
I trust you don't need to be reminded of the BBC reporter's comments regards a game that outclassed all other games.

Some people who claimed to have seen the demo said it looked fabulous, so I was expecting something to look fabulous.

And understandably your expectations will be totally off the mark with regards to technical excellence.
And years of following game engines, not least seeing real PS3 games, means I've no idea what a PS3 can achieve either, right, and actually this demo really is amazing and i just don't appreciate it? Technically this is nothing special. You wanna argue about the polygon amounts, lighting methods, texture qualities, particle densities, IQ, and novel algorithms, sure thing - point out what's so great about the demo. As it is, what I'm seeing is a standard set of normal graphical functions, not really pushing the bar. Perhaps that's all the demo-scene is these days, but the demoscene origins are back in making hardware do things it wasn't supposed to do, and the demo-sceners were the pioneers of incredible thinking and innovation techniques. I would expect a demo, one being trumpeted as fantastic looking, to showcase something that's doing something impressive.

That's not to take away from the work done - Plastic weren't reporting this as the greatest thing ever seen on a PlayStation. It's the 3rd party hype that set expectations, and its sadly those expectations that aren't being met.
Likewise mention of the demo scene sets expectations of foul-mouthed Scandinavians writing mind-numbing code!
What we really have here, internet misreporting aside, is an interesting artistic creation using computer hardware that's not really rivalling any game engine out there and isn't doing new, amazing things with a PS3 either.

Expectations were set by comments like :

and...
I trust you don't need to be reminded of the BBC reporter's comments regards a game that outclassed all other games.

Some people who claimed to have seen the demo said it looked fabulous, so I was expecting something to look fabulous.

And years of following game engines, not least seeing real PS3 games, means I've no idea what a PS3 can achieve either, right, and actually this demo really is amazing and i just don't appreciate it? Technically this is nothing special. You wanna argue about the polygon amounts, lighting methods, texture qualities, particle densities, IQ, and novel algorithms, sure thing - point out what's so great about the demo. As it is, what I'm seeing is a standard set of normal graphical functions, not really pushing the bar. Perhaps that's all the demo-scene is these days, but the demoscene origins are back in making hardware do things it wasn't supposed to do, and the demo-sceners were the pioneers of incredible thinking and innovation techniques. I would expect a demo, one being trumpeted as fantastic looking, to showcase something that's doing something impressive.

That's not to take away from the work done - Plastic weren't reporting this as the greatest thing ever seen on a PlayStation. It's the 3rd party hype that set expectations, and its sadly those expectations that aren't being met.
Likewise mention of the demo scene sets expectations of foul-mouthed Scandinavians writing mind-numbing code!
What we really have here, internet misreporting aside, is an interesting artistic creation using computer hardware that's not really rivalling any game engine out there and isn't doing new, amazing things with a PS3 either.

Agreed..

Whils't i'll commend them on what they did do given the time & resources, I don't see much in there that i'm sure I couldn't do given a few months, a good artist & a copy of XNA GSE..

Thats the problem Shifty, hype hype hype and hype. A couple of persons candy coat and trim words, release microscopic small images and then it all lights up. Like the grass a warm dry sunny summer day! :Cracked face:

And that Crysis part sure was liquid nitroglycerine.

Obviously some people think it looks "amazing" so have themselves made the link between this and what the BBC reporter saw, that doesn't mean it is though.

It must be remembered that this is not a professional production. Of course it isn't a showcase for the PS3, we're talking about a very small team whom Sony gave a devkit and told "make something cool". For a demoscene production it's got some very high quality stuff, and kudos to Plastic for learning the architecture well enough to be able to make this run as well as it does. Bonzaj himself said it was a nightmare and it's to be expected when big professional gamedev studios can't use it properly yet as well.

Despite inane comparisons in some gaming blogs when word of this started spreading, it would never be a match for state of the art engines like Guerrilla's or ND's or Insomniac's. The demoscene has lagged behind the gamedev community, technically, for many years now, since huge amounts of money started pouring in at the game studios in an effort to improve, mostly, graphics.

That said, the demo has _awesome_ music and a very good atmosphere, and the obvious continuity problems should be resolved in the final version, or explained at least for, as one of Plastic's members said at the pouet.net boards, "trust me, there is a reason for everything" and something on the lines of "it's not exactly a demo, but it's not a game either".

Anyway, despite the original spirit of the demoscene being one of maxing the hardware and eye/ear candy, eventually design became as much or even more important, and so, I seize this opportunity to continue my demoscene evangelization saga by linking to what I believe to be the best demo ever made (to this day), called Lifeforce by the demogroup ASD. They have made technically more impressive demos, and other groups too, but the design of this thing is just awesome, and it's getting much love from the demoscene community since it's release at the Assembly 07 demoparty last year, where it won the demo competition. It was also recently awarded the scene.org Best Demo award for 2007. Check it out here:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=31571

It runs fine on my p4 2.8 with 512 MB and an nvidia 5900xt at 1152x864 and probably higher, but there's also a link to a video.

This represents for me the best of what the demoscene has to offer and offers perhaps a new light under which to look at Linger in Shadows, and demoscene productions in general, instead of comparing demos to commercial, professionally developed games, and expecting them to break graphical boundaries.

Wow... this post is bigger than I expected. Hope I didn't bore you. Ha! :)

Dang that takes the prize graphically and artistically. It really runs smooth on a Geforce 5900xt? :oops:

Nice post BTW, not boring at all. :smile:

Dang that takes the prize graphically and artistically. It really runs smooth on a Geforce 5900xt? :oops:

Nice post BTW, not boring at all. :smile:

From time to time there's a bit of tearing and near the end, in the underwater part, there's a bit of slowdown for some moments, but nothing that detracts from the experience. I'm not sure if when running in newer hardware it's any better visually, from what I saw it was pretty much the same as in the video capture.

Oh and thanks :)

And this one here, 195/95 by Plastic, was probably the reason why Sony gave them a devkit: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=16351

Goes to show how hard it must be to code for the PS3, if they did that in 2005 and had trouble to get Linger in Shadows running in 2006 hardware. If I remember correctly, I wasn't able to run 195/95 in my 5900xt (i think it has 128MB), probably the 512MB ram didn't help either, so I just saw the video, and in 2005 it was pretty state of the art, demoscene or not.

Back