"Linger In Shadows" PS3 demo by Plastic

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
http://kotaku.com/371645/first-tiny...ows-a-mysterious-real-time-playstation-3-demo
German site 4Sceners.de published this weekend the first captured images of a demo for a mysterious commercial product known as Linger In Shadows, created by demoscene group Plastic. Details are virtually nonexistent on Linger In Shadows, a title Sony Computer Entertainment trademarked in November of last year. Members of the Plastic team said of the demo, which was shown at the Breakpoint 2008 gathering this weekend, that it would be released publicly on the PlayStation 3, possibly as a graphical showcase for the system, but that it was not a game in the conventional sense.

Other Breakpoint attendees teased via the Pouet.net forums that it would be somehow playable and that Linger In Shadows was one of multiple demoscene projects commissioned by Sony. We're looking into it further to learn more about the project.

Other demo by Plastic

Final Audition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udU9zaZrtJk
195/95
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNfyElySe0

Looks great, can only hope for a actual demo / 720p video of the demo though.

I've been a big fan of the demo scene for a while now.

I saw it on the stream-feed from Breakpoint, looked very nice!
Hower the stream was rather low-res/bitrate so it was hard to say anything about details, like how good the fur shaders on the cat and the dog were etc.
I heard that a 720p video might be released later today, so we might study it in detail!

I have no idea how trustworthy this guy is, so take with a tad of salt.

News has just hit the internet about a “in-game” demo that is “amazing” running on the PS3. This game seems to be the game that had a BBC reporter blown away.

4Sceners has uploaded an image gallery of screen caps of the video they were shown.

Not much is known yet about LingerInShadows. Hit the jump for a scoop you will ONLY read at Sev1512…

As many of you know Sev1512 has some friends on the inside…

Earlier this month I noticed a dev, on my friends list playing a game that I didn’t recognize. This game was LingerInShadows… I know its a game, because it had a PS controller/game icon, next to the title. I asked this dev what the game was, but never got a response.

So you heard it here first. LingerInShadows is not just a technical demo. Its a game, and I am being as bold as to say its the game that had a BBC reporter “speechless“

http://sev1512.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/lingerinshadows-not-just-a-demo/#more-15##zber-15

A proper console demo-scene would be awesome. Have prizes, float demo's on the networks, attract key talent and develop cutting-edge algorithms while showcasing your platform.

I saw it on the stream-feed from Breakpoint, looked very nice!
Hower the stream was rather low-res/bitrate so it was hard to say anything about details, like how good the fur shaders on the cat and the dog were etc.
I heard that a 720p video might be released later today, so we might study it in detail!

58343-bild.jpg

Is that 3d or art, if its 3d and real time i will shit bricks.

There is short video clip of it here during a seminar this guy from Plastic gave during BP 08.

http://breakpoint.untergrund.net/download.php?dir=2008/seminars/&file=BP08_Seminar_Bonzaj.mp4

It's a pretty cool seminar overall. It shows the kinds of tools they developed to create their demos. There is short looping video of the demo at about 24:50. He is running it on his PC in a tiny window within his editor. Naturally runs very poorly. But he says the PS3 one runs smoothly. He mentions SPU optimizations for the physics simulation.

He mentioned toward the end that the presentation that porting to the PS3 was a real PITA. He says it only took a week or two to port the code over but it ran at 8 fps. Getting it running at full speed was a "nightmare"

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture is just static art, the title pic before the demo started.

Seems so, looks like painting with no real depth unless DoF is used (but it's so small!).

There is short video clip of it here during a seminar this guy from Plastic gave during BP 08.

http://breakpoint.untergrund.net/download.php?dir=2008/seminars/&file=BP08_Seminar_Bonzaj.mp4

It's a pretty cool seminar overall. It shows the kinds of tools they developed to create their demos. There is short looping video of the demo at about 24:50. He is running it on his PC in a tiny window within his editor. Naturally runs very poorly. But he says the PS3 one runs smoothly. He mentions SPU optimizations for the physics simulation.

He mentioned toward the end that the presentation that porting to the PS3 was a real PITA. He says it only took a week or two to port the code over but it ran at 8 fps. Getting it running at full speed was a "nightmare"

Interesting link, I wonder though if they will release it for PC to, runs quite good for being rendered in Maya. The end is gold!

Though he never mentioned in the "Linger in Shadows" part about current state framerate.

I actually wasn't too impressed. I've seen (and worked on) a few demos and intros that looked amazing on a fairly weak PC. A while back I saw a demo that was optimized up the wazoo for a Windows PC on a 2.8Ghz CPU with 1GB of ram and a 6600GT. Even now, that demo rivals some of the latest demos/PC games. I actually expected better from the Playstation 3. Granted, the ram on the PS3 was probably very limiting.

I actually wasn't too impressed. I've seen (and worked on) a few demos and intros that looked amazing on a fairly weak PC. A while back I saw a demo that was optimized up the wazoo for a Windows PC on a 2.8Ghz CPU with 1GB of ram and a 6600GT. Even now, that demo rivals some of the latest demos/PC games. I actually expected better from the Playstation 3. Granted, the ram on the PS3 was probably very limiting.

Do you have a link to that demo, i am a demo freak since the years of C64 and especially the Amiga

To me, demos were coolest when expression was predominantly constrained by technology. Each clever exploit and special effect was nearly itself an expressive statement. Nowadays, it seems that the artistic talent of the demo group is more the limiting factor.

To me, demos were coolest when expression was predominantly constrained by technology. Each clever exploit and special effect was nearly itself an expressive statement. Nowadays, it seems that the artistic talent of the demo group is more the limiting factor.

agreed .I think too, it was much more interesting when it was software only.

To me, demos were coolest when expression was predominantly constrained by technology.
Exactly, which is where demo's on another closed platform would be awesome, and the demosceners start squeezing every ounce of juice from your console, pushing the hardware's performance up a generation in achieved results.

Edit : The movie linked to by Vitaly is listed as 4.4 MB in size, but it's actually about 400 MBs!

Well they made it on PC and ported it to PS3. So I doubt they used spu's much to inspire them...

Back