"Linger In Shadows" PS3 demo by Plastic

Just watched the video now..

It's good but there are a few things which jarred me..

The city in the background is a skybox..
The animations seem a bit choppy & clunky..

& finally what's wrong with the colour range??? there seems to be alot of banding all over the place & it makes alot of the detail just look wierd..

Anyone else notice this?

I like what I see. I think it's pretty impressive for their first PS3 venture. The scenes they chose to go with do seem to have the advantages of a CPU like cell in mind.

The video itself seems to be chopped up badly. The full version should have more artistic flow. It's not the best scene demo I have seen. But it's not bad at all.

I heard Plastic was not the only demo group to get dev kits from Sony. I can't wait to see what else is going to be coming. Something from Andromeda or Farbrausch would be fantastic to see.

Yeah the skybox looks quite bad, they should used DoF as other techdemos use to achieve a better background effect. But they need to up the texture res, sprite blending and perhaps better color/lighting since it did look a bit strange. But this is their first techdemo so things will improve. Cat did look really good aswell as the dog with the fur.

Last edited by a moderator:
& finally what's wrong with the colour range??? there seems to be alot of banding all over the place & it makes alot of the detail just look wierd..

Anyone else notice this?

I haven't yet seen the video, just Nebula's screenshots. The banding seems more like the artistic direction seen in certain paintings.

edit: ah... at about 2:40 in the video, I see banding on the uh... green... blob... thing. Nevermind!

I haven't yet seen the video, just Nebula's screenshots. The banding seems more like the artistic direction seen in certain paintings.
Are those pictures showing any of archangelmorph's banding? i can't see it. There's colour blocking, as it were, but as you say that's an artistic effect, in combination with compression. The screenies seem to be upscaled too.

As a demo (haven't watched it yet), it's actually a damp squib because it wasn't designed for and on the hardware it's supposedly demoing. It's more a port from PC of an artistic creation. Unless a PS3 demo is being written from the ground up to use the SPEs, it's not really demoing the machine.

Here's a photo of the banding I saw (and I think the only instance I noticed in particular that wasn't part of the non-photorealistic rendering):

edit:

Btw, it's not that I'm complaining or anything. It's probably just part of the post-processing they're doing being more noticeable on objects with greater contouring.

Are those pictures showing any of archangelmorph's banding? i can't see it. There's colour blocking, as it were, but as you say that's an artistic effect, in combination with compression. The screenies seem to be upscaled too.

As a demo (haven't watched it yet), it's actually a damp squib because it wasn't designed for and on the hardware it's supposedly demoing. It's more a port from PC of an artistic creation. Unless a PS3 demo is being written from the ground up to use the SPEs, it's not really demoing the machine.

Nah, they are direct captures of the 720p H.264 video.

I saw that in a low-res vid but assumed it was from compression. I guess it could be a form of averaging to create that paint-ish look. I can't off the top of my head think of any reason to use such low-quality colour data except for deliberate effect.

Back