LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Sony announced their SIXAXIS motion controls, most of us considered it "me too" technology. When we first tried them in games like Motorstorm, we went back to analog sticks after about 30 seconds of ass-handing. But with Lair? Lair nails the motion control.

I literally picked up the controller, jumped on the dragon and flew around the rich environments with ease. And I'm not talking flight simulator, floating around without a sense of speed flying. I'm talking barreling under arch bridges, twisting around castles and skimming the water to take out boats.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/impressions/sloppy-seconds-+-lair-292997.php

Yap ! I saw the numbers and were surprised that Warhawk only got a 6.5 despite great beta experiences. Meanwhile the testers @ GAF laughed at the review. Lair is again rated low, will have to see for myself. There seems to be a wide gap between the reviewers, the consumers and the game. :)

Well I dont know how biased this site is but it gives it a 9.6.

What I find important though is this comment

*Please note that this is a multiplayer game at its core, so for fans of singleplayer gaming, this title may not be for you!*

http://www.nextgenireland.com/warhawkreview.html

To a certain degree, game play mechanics (controls) are just as subjective as graphics. What teh suxors for one person, maybe “OMGTEHBESTGAMEPLAYEVER1111!!!!” too another.

My brother and my wife totally hate Gears of War controls/mechanics behind it. Too me its rocks; it was something new and exciting to learn.

Some people just refuse to learn anything new; so they bad mouth things they don't take time to learn.

The answer is "No one knows yet". Average is 6.83 so far.

5/10 (PSM)
5.5/10 (EGM)
6/10 (GamerTV)
7.5/10 (GamePro)
8/10 (PSW)
9/10 (PLAY)

I will still get it to experience the flight and vista points in Lair. Haven't played a single Rogue Squadron game in my life.

And I doubt you're the only one. :)

Even if the game doesn't turn out all that, the mere fact of being able to play this game flying dragons in a huge environment with the sixaxis, is worth it for me. I have so many different non-gaming (i.e. they don't have a console themselves, only play the occasional game at friends) guests and they all take to Motorstorm's sixaxis controls immediately. Yesterday evening again, I handed the sixaxis to a mom and dad (40s) and they had no problems whatsoever. I have yet to see anyone take more than 30 seconds to totally nail it. The guy yesterday told me that he usually took about 20 laps in 'regular' games before he stopped overcompensating for the steering and crashing all over the place. This however he nailed immediately and he kept up with the AI for a while in his first lap.

Of course, I do always give them the Coyote track (which is also gobsmackingly beautiful, the lighting is just :oops: )

Anyway, I want more of those games and Lair looks to be one, where you can also just replay your favorite level. True, a good demo in that case could be enough if the game itself isn't up to snuff. But we'll see.

I for one embrace our motion-sensor overlords (but I'll have them with some gobsmackingly beautiful graphics please thank you ;) ).

Well I dont know how biased this site is but it gives it a 9.6.

nextgenireland said:
Warhawk is easily the best purchase any Playstation 3 owner will make. With titles like this, Heavenly Sword and Haze all exclusive to Playstation 3, we really can see no other outcome than Sony winning this round of console wars or at least give Nintendo a bit of friendly competition.

I'd say fairly biased...

Although Warhawk looks like a fun multiplayer game to me.

edit: Whoah! just took a closer look on that website and well it ain't pretty... What a joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
will still buy it regardless. im gonna trust my own experience with lair and if the control does bother me then at least i'll b enjoy the ultra cinematic graphics and sound, im sure alot of ps3 owners will make up their own minds and do the same.

I think the controls should be fine (1UP Podcast admitted so), but people seem to have some concerns over the larger gaming elements (e.g., piecemeal game structure, some issues with ground camera, plays like Rogue Squadron, etc.).

The answer is "No one knows yet". Average is 6.83 so far.

5/10 (PSM)
5.5/10 (EGM)
6/10 (GamerTV)
7.5/10 (GamePro)
8/10 (PSW)
9/10 (PLAY)

I will still get it to experience the flight and vista points in Lair. Haven't played a single Rogue Squadron game in my life.

I wonder if prior experience with Rogue Squadron games is a factor in how a game critic approaches this title.

If they have played those games and they rated them highly it may cause this game to suffer by comparison. They may take strengths of the game that also appeared in those games for granted while things that may not work as well in Lair vs. the prior games would stand out. And if there are not enough things that Lair does better than the prior games (in the opinion of the reviewer) to swing the balance it could result in a lower score than someone with no prior experience with Factor 5 games might give.

It is possible but I will play the game to find out more regardless. There has been pretty polarized feedback about Lair.

I also observed that the gaming audience has widened but the gaming media hasn't really changed much (or has it ?). They still take a pretty traditional approach to game reviews (i.e., "hardcore" gamer centric). Sometimes, there seem to be some history involved (e.g., prior experience with Rogue Squadron is worth noting but irrelevant to many).

I hope they will devote more effort to segment, service and expand the increased market/potential readership.

Nexgenireland pretty much gives any game that usually gets 80ish% on gamerankings a 9.X

True - if you've read their little speil then it is slightly scary!

ANyway back to Lair:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=lair&thread.id=5167

Have a wee gander

"The reviewers are totally wrong.
I mastered the controls after doing the 5 minute Tutorial.
After that, it was amazing.
Graphics: Amazing
Storyline: Great
Everything is great!
Ask me questions, because I will be on this topic all day."

He answers lots of questions and gives proof.

I have to say I'm both intrigued and confused. Different things rock different boats I suppose.

dude could use a lesson or two on photography. aside from that it does seem authentic with all the pics and everything. im about to burst with excitment, it's so close, why there're always some lucky person on this planet who gets things unfairly than the rest??

ANyway back to Lair:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=lair&thread.id=5167

Have a wee gander

"The reviewers are totally wrong.
I mastered the controls after doing the 5 minute Tutorial.
After that, it was amazing.
Graphics: Amazing
Storyline: Great
Everything is great!
Ask me questions, because I will be on this topic all day."

He answers lots of questions and gives proof.

I have to say I'm both intrigued and confused. Different things rock different boats I suppose.

It's always encouraging to hear someone likes (and enjoys !) the same game as you. Sony should empower the beta testers to build a Lair Home clan room asap to help these people connect.

If the magazine sites can't (or choose not to) address the secondary markets, these community tools will allow Sony and the userbase to service themselves... like how Resistance grow its userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back