LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Factor 5 are any better than the main Tecmo team, if both where to be given the same budget.

I disagree. Tecmo has yet to show they can produce a modern graphics engine, one that allows free camera roaming inside a virtual world the entirety of which is much larger than available RAM. All their games contain the typical compartmentalized level design, in which the game world is divided into distinct areas each of which is tailored to fit within memory.

Credit where credit's due, pic three there has the best parallax mapping ever (assuming it is, and isn't just modelled for the cut-scene. Any way of knowing?). The ground looks superb. It'll probably look very awkward when people are walking on it as though it's flat, but it looks excellent.

Play Magazine has eccentric taste in games. By "eccentric" I mean "crappy".

I've seen them rave about some real stinkers. They gushed over Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness for two pages.

There is a US Play magazine and a UK Play magazine. They are completely different companies, not just regional editions.

You're talking about the US Play, who has a deserved reputation for handing out scores.

This Lair review came from UK Play.

Credit where credit's due, pic three there has the best parallax mapping ever (assuming it is, and isn't just modelled for the cut-scene. Any way of knowing?). The ground looks superb. It'll probably look very awkward when people are walking on it as though it's flat, but it looks excellent.

It looks about on par with Kameo's Parallax mapping IMO.

It looks about on par with Kameo's Parallax mapping IMO.

Lets remind ourselves for a sec of how Kameo really looked like:

516505_20051114_screen002.jpg

:rolleyes:

Lets remind ourselves for a sec of how Kameo really looked like:

Kameo had excellent Parallax mapping. Try grabbing a shot that actually shows it, if you want to make your point.

As for LAIR, it's really startin to look gorgeous. I've seen parallax mapping as good or better before, but as a whole the game is really starting to impress me.

Kameo had excellent Parallax mapping. Try grabbing a shot that actually shows it, if you want to make your point.

Check the other screens (and not some PR bullshots) in the link posted by my predecessor, they all look like that because that's actually how Kameo looks like.

I guess some of you were too impressed and didn't play it for a very long time, but that's the same for every other game which was impressive in the past - it's just not as impressive anymore after you didn't play it for some time.

How about folks talk about Lair and not make it a versus thread? We just had a multi -page discussion about this stuff and the same people who were calling foul are not doing it...

another topic was raving about kameo's textures so i went + had a look

heres 20 screenshots
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kameoelementsofpower/images.html?tag=tabs;images

whilst not terrible theyre certainly not the best textures ever, not even close

Most of those shots are not in areas with cobblestones, so they're really not comparable to what we're alking about.

This shot shows it fairly well, though it really needs to be seen in action.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/317/reviews/516505_20051114_screen005.jpg

Both Kameo and PD0 has sick parralax mapping in certain spots.

How about folks talk about Lair and not make it a versus thread? We just had a multi -page discussion about this stuff and the same people who were calling foul are not doing it...

Well the first person to post a screenshot(Jesus) is a Sony troll. So, try and be a little more objective when casting blame.

Chef simply replied to Shifty's claim of the best mapping ever. I actually thought the exact same thing when I read the post, i.e. "I saw stuff that good in Kameo", but didn't bother to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back