Kyle throws a [H]issy fit about CrossFire shipping late

Status
Not open for further replies.
jb said:
Dave should know we are all just gonna to "flip" to the pages with the numbers first....then come back later and read the rest, thus he should put up those first :)
Yeah Dave, just post up your intro and conclusion page for me and I'll be a happy camper. ;)

I have had a sample Xfire board for nearly two months now.

Nope, not even powered it on yet.

nelg said:
I believe the general consensus is that Kyle has a soft spot for nV and is more forgiving towards them. Part of me thinks that it pains him a little to have to give a good review to an ATI product and declare a new performance champion (if the rumours are correct). Perhaps this is a way for him to add one of his editors notes, wrt availability, at the end of the upcoming review to take some of the wind out ATIs sails.

For the record I write the video card reviews and I have a soft spot for no one. As long as NV or ATI deliver the goods, I'm happy, so far ATI has not... R520 availability is yet to be seen.

Reactions: Geo
Brent said:
For the record I write the video card reviews and I have a soft spot for no one. As long as NV or ATI deliver the goods, I'm happy, so far ATI has not... R520 availability is yet to be seen.

Does that mean it is no where in sight? Or just that you've heard no details one way or the other?

Brent said:

Brent, you're a hardware reviewer, not a market or financial analyst. Aside from a sentence or two that would basically read, "Bear in mind that X1800 XT is not yet available and may remain as such for X amount of time," this really shouldn't factor into your review of the hardware. The desire and/or need to make availability a salient point in a review is because most *reviews* these days have become hardware round-ups/comparison pieces. IMO, naturally.

nelg said:
I believe the general consensus is that Kyle has a soft spot for nV and is more forgiving towards them. Part of me thinks that it pains him a little to have to give a good review to an ATI product and declare a new performance champion (if the rumours are correct).

I remember that Kyle had a big fallout with Burke many moons ago, and he did seem to show a fair bit of bias until it came and bit him in the butt (guess he felt used :p ). Don't know what side of the fence he stands on now, but most likely it's a bit off kilter from the center.

Xenus said:
Does that mean it is no where in sight? Or just that you've heard no details one way or the other?

Major retailers are anticipating X1X00 stock on Thursday morning, but no one will solidly confirm this to be a sure thing as of this afternoon.

FrgMstr said:
Major retailers are anticipating X1X00 stock on Thursday morning, but no one will solidly confirm this to be a sure thing as of this afternoon.
Speak of the devil :D

John Reynolds said:
Brent, you're a hardware reviewer, not a market or financial analyst. Aside from a sentence or two that would basically read, "Bear in mind that X1800 XT is not yet available and may remain as such for X amount of time," this really shouldn't factor into your review of the hardware. The desire and/or need to make availability a salient point in a review is because most *reviews* these days have become hardware round-ups/comparison pieces. IMO, naturally.

Brent will stay focused on the gaming experience the hardware provides. I will be commenting on other aspects of the launch.

Reactions: Geo
FrgMstr said:
Brent will stay focused on the gaming experience the hardware provides. I will be commenting on other aspects of the launch.
Good boy.
Want a chocolate chip cookie?
Homemade big guy ;)

FrgMstr said:
Yeah, "ripping them a new one" eh? :rolleyes:

It gets old, and you're a bit late to the bashfest no matter how loud you shout; if you really meant what you said you wouldn't be posting the X800 review until it was available, but I think we all know you won't be doing that....cost you too many hits to have that kind of integrity, right?

FrgMstr said:

I will bet dollars to doughnuts that your comments wrt 'other aspects of the launch" are negative.

nelg said:
I will bet dollars to doughnuts that your comments wrt 'other aspects of the launch" are negative.

On the flip side, should ATI not receive any flak if they paper launch, albeit however briefly, their high-end parts, the parts most hardware enthusiasts are most interested in? I don't know, while I don't think availability should factor very strongy in the reviewing of the actual hardware, once you start discussing the part in light of its competition (and all that entails: relative price and performance, and availability) then some colorful commentary may indeed be required.

Again, just MHO. :p

Diggie, simmer down. No need to try to bait a little flame war here.

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, "ripping them a new one" eh? :rolleyes:

It gets old, and you're a bit late to the bashfest no matter how loud you shout; if you really meant what you said you wouldn't be posting the X800 review until it was available, but I think we all know you won't be doing that....cost you too many hits to have that kind of integrity, right?

it's easy to take cheap shots from the high moral ground when you aren't the one with a business to run...pretty lame comments digi.

John Reynolds said:
On the flip side, should ATI not receive any flak if they paper launch, albeit however briefly, their high-end parts, the parts most hardware enthusiasts are most interested in?

Well, these things are a matter of degree, both in period of time and the implement (ruler vs BFG) used to apply the flak.

Frankly, I feel a little silly now for my comment near the top; if newegg is really going to have parts to sell between now and the 10th. That's two weeks from launch (Sep 26th). By historical standards that's pretty good, and does not by any standard I understand deserve the kind of flail used on them at various sites the last week. I had jumped to the conclusion that these sites now had reason to understand there was going to be a significant delay. My only question would be how effective was ATI PR in getting that message out, and did any of these sites query before they unholstered the BFG.

To me it's more about accuracy of what these sites are asked to communicate to the community, and I understand their concern about not being made to lie by proxy and thus damage their own credibility. I'm cool if ATI and NV want to paperlaunch R600 and G80 tomorrow. . .as long as they give an expected availability date that is relatively accurate and specs that are accurate --and I'll be quite happy to give them a two week grace period on their expected availability date every time.

John Reynolds said:
Diggie, simmer down. No need to try to bait a little flame war here.
He was pretty rude and trying it when I was on his turf. I'll be good but don't expect me to be nice.
bleh2.gif

^eMpTy^ said:
it's easy to take cheap shots from the high moral ground when you aren't the one with a business to run...pretty lame comments digi.
Gosh, I guess the almighty dollar excuses hypocrisy. :rolleyes:

FrgMstr said:

Heh...;) At least to you they won't confirm it, right?

Seriously, if the retailers are anticipating delivery what possible reason would you have to doubt it since it's the retailers themselves telling you this? I mean, since they haven't yet received the product "this afternoon" it's a bit difficult for them to confirm receipt of the product this afternoon, isn't it?

My suggestion is that you check back with them on Thursday for confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back