Kirby: Epic Yarn

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
It doesn't happen often that I feel compelled to make a thread for a Wii game - it may even be the first time, but Kirby: Epic Yarn is amazing. Best graphics / art on Wii so far and awesome on so many levels, combining some of the best Nintendo genius with inspirational innovation in gameplay and graphics of the likes of even LBP and LocoRoco. Pure genius. I may borrow a Wii just to be able to play this (HQ available)

:oops:

Pre-ordered my copy already.

I love the Kirby games. They've never really drawn any attention to themselves (nor recieve any hype for that matter), but most are well designed, and the series is at its best when it experiments with mechanics (Canvas Curse and Tilt N' Tumble for instance, and people who say Air Ride is awful are highly mistaken). It seem from the impression that Jeremy Parish gives that the levels and mechanics are just as excellently designed as the graphics presentation.
[gv]29997[/gv]
Tank gameplay
[gv]29999[/gv]
Co-Op and Boss battle
[gv]30001[/gv]
That said, people who are unfamiliar with the series and have an aversion to the cutesiness should definitely watch this video (major spoilers for one of the games), but it should change your mind about the series just merely being aimed squarely at kids (Kirby did predate Eversion)...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is developed by Good-Feel, although no doubt with assistance and supervision by Nintendo. The last game they made is the DSi game that was mistaken for the 3DS by a few.

http://www.good-feel.co.jp/

The cloth and felt background is very nice.

kirby.png

I guess it was predictable I'd love the look of this! Very clever though, picking a 2D line-art art style that could be rendered supremely well on the platform, with little 3D punctuations.

I laughed out loud several times watching the trailer in the OP. Not my type of game, but it looks quite innovative, with some interesting new gameplay mechanics. Also, the slapsticky humor is great - I can imagine this would greatly appeal to youngsters, and those adults who are still young at heart. :)

Looks like a very slick, polished title.

Looks very nice. Looks like 2D side scrollers are making a return. The new Ray-Man is also a 2D side scroller I think.

Think this has just convinced me to pick a new Wii game. Think my last one was about 2 years ago.

Regards,
SB

God, the aesthetic of this game is simply stunning. I just love everything about it. I think this 'art style' should have it's own genre. Games like Epic Yarn, LBP, Banjo360, and that title Shifty posted a while back (XBLA title I think?). This look where everything in the game world is made out of a very distinct material, things that exist with a very believable look...I can't even describe it, but I'm in love with it.

But Kirby's suppose to suck! Actually, this is the first Kirby game where he can't suck, it seems. He can't fly either.
Wasn't Canvas Curse another game where he can't suck? It's considered one of the best games in the series, too.

More footage. First one is extended gameplay segments of the trailer footage:
[gt]700283[/gt]
[gt]700344[/gt]

Wasn't Canvas Curse another game where he can't suck? It's considered one of the best games in the series, too.

There are lots of Kirby games where he can't suck. They're the spin-offs. Kirby's Dream Course, Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby Star Stacker, Kirby's Air Ride, and god knows what else I'm missing. I don't know if Epic Yarn is really a spin-off, but who cares. It looks awesome.

How did they make the background fold like that?

Its beautiful and natural to behold. I have never seen anything like it and never thought it was possible

There are lots of Kirby games where he can't suck. They're the spin-offs. Kirby's Dream Course, Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby Star Stacker, Kirby's Air Ride
The inhale ability/power is in Air Ride. But I agree that Epic Yarn is something to look forward too.

Its beautiful and natural to behold. I have never seen anything like it and never thought it was possible
I'm vouching a combination of some high-resolution textures, vectors, and some cleaver overlaying. But most importantly talented art directors.

There is some physics involved with the buttons and everything, though. Nice little small details like that.

Yes, what sfried said. I have been watching the videos of this game and it's pure love. It has a lot of the things I like about games; colour, fun situations, original ideas and some clever use of the setting.

I am also wondering how they created that effect, because I don't remember seeing anything like that in any game before. I hope this game comes out for the new Nintendo 3DS the next year, because unfortunately I don't have a Wii.

Hmm, I stand corrected on that. I never played it due to bad word of mouth, and also because I don't like racing games.

It's often cited as one of the most unloved games in the franchise, but it's actually more like "Kirby Super Star Racing".

The developers behind Epic Yarn seem to be responsible for Wario Land: Shake It and Looksey's Line-Up, and in the case of the latter, it's no coincidence the art-style has that similar "pop-up" feel.

Kirby could suck up enemies in Kirby Super Star. That's where you'd see crazy stuff like co-op, gaining enemies powers etc.

Back