Kinect technology thread

What have you got with it to play with? Any chance of YouTube vids (I suppose you're under NDA)? Would be nice to see the voice control in action, as we've seen next to nothing of that demo'd.

I don't know if this automatically gets him the new dashboard beta too? Otherwise he'll have to wait for that update to hit his 360.

thats hardly stress testing it. let me at it doing some boxing + see how good a 30fps camera picks that up :D
(also we cant see how much lag there is)
i.e. most movements the guys are making are quite slow + minor (it looks as if they're embarrassed)
the thing I dont understand (+ it was also in some of the early demos) but I thought they would of fixed it by now.
why on earth do they position the avatars in impossible positions?
eg the head being at 180 angle to the body
OK yes its a misread by kinect, but surely the software is checking the data, and any readings where eg the player has broken his neck, should be flagged as a misread + ignored.

thats hardly stress testing it. let me at it doing some boxing + see how good a 30fps camera picks that up :D
(also we cant see how much lag there is)
i.e. most movements the guys are making are quite slow + minor (it looks as if they're embarrassed)
the thing I dont understand (+ it was also in some of the early demos) but I thought they would of fixed it by now.
why on earth do they position the avatars in impossible positions?
eg the head being at 180 angle to the body
OK yes its a misread by kinect, but surely the software is checking the data, and any readings where eg the player has broken his neck, should be flagged as a misread + ignored.

The pose estimation are done by software, kinect only provides the data.

Hopefully that absurd estimations are only there while they are still in beta, since visualizing that errors help improving them.

But at least, judging by that video, the depth resolution seems enough all the time... On the BGR image you can even see the fingers when the left guy test if they are visible, so there's hope that to make this work really well all its needed is to improve the software, not the hardware.

The pose estimation are done by software, kinect only provides the data.
yes, thats exactly what I said

Hopefully that absurd estimations are only there while they are still in beta, since visualizing that errors help improving them.
The scary thing is, like I mentioned at this stage of the game ~2 months until launch for a major piece of hardware/software (like kinect is for the xbox) they should not be making the same basic mistakes as they were when they first showed it ~14months ago. Talk about leaving it to the last minute :idea: beta at this stage :cry:

What have you got with it to play with? Any chance of YouTube vids (I suppose you're under NDA)? Would be nice to see the voice control in action, as we've seen next to nothing of that demo'd.

. I believe kinect adventures , sports and animals will be with it. I don't think we get it till the first week of october however. No NDA however. I'll try to film when it comes in. I'm off to florida for a week. So you guys have a good time without me.

The red skeleton guy is a mess! I've watched it a few times now, and in some cases he's making things hard for Kinect, and during those times the girl avatar is stable and well tracked, but other occassions he's just bouncing around in a natural dancy way but is not being tracked at all well. The video feed is too dark to see well, but he has bare arms at least. Is he wearing black against a black background? Actually that's not going to be influencing it. The depth data is clean and his pose clearly identifiable. Thye just haven't got the skeleton tracking working well enough to cope in these situations.

I want someone to do some proper scientific, progressive tests to try an identify what the limiting factors are!

Hmm, new interview with Tsunada at Eurogamer http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-07-kinects-kudo-tsunoda-interview

Two interesting things,

The future of Kinect won't be entirely controller-free, either. While Sony has taken shots at the Kinect's lack of button input, Tsunoda says that "it's not like we're trying to take controllers out of the equation." While the current library is focused on an entirely controller-free experience, Tsunoda says that "games that involve both controllers and Kinect as well are totally possible."

One of the cooler features Microsoft touted in its first Project Natal (now Kinect) video was the ability to scan objects and use them in your games. Unfortunately, that feature is nowhere to be found in any Kinect game announced so far, and Microsoft has been mum on the subject ... until now. Kinect mastermind Kudo Tsunoda told Eurogamer that although current games may not utilize it now, it's something we can expect in future titles. "Being able to digitise real-world objects and take them into the virtual world ... I think we're going to see a lot more games start using that as well as we go forward."

Hmm, shifty had told me that wasnt possible due to the low resolution of the camera...:p

Two interesting things,
yes interesting, theyve done a flip-flop (as bush jr would say)

Im betting what will happen is what I predicted, theyll come out with a single handed controller after discovering "controller free" (c) msft gaming doesnt work well with most genres, who'ld of thought it :)

Hmm, shifty had told me that wasnt possible due to the low resolution of the camera...:p
Hmmm, you'll have to quote me on that! I've said finger tracking isn't an option, but don't know why I'd say object scanning wasn't a possibilty. I'm sure I said it's something I wanted to see. We've also seen larger objects appear in the 3D. They'd have to address issues of noise and low signal resolution, but that's achieved with filtering or moving the object fairly slowly.

Ahh, found my own post :
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1444516&postcount=52

I said it wasn't a consumer level experience if you have to present the object for scanning slowly and carefully. The technology for actually getting point data is there. I guess a lot depends on what level of 'scanned' we're talking about.

yes interesting, theyve done a flip-flop (as bush jr would say)
Not really, I don't think. The use of buttons wasn't prohibited by Kinect's tech, but was a message MS avoided with their 'controllerless gaming' slogan. That interview is a PR campaign, "Kinect does everything," which is true of course, but doesn't convey what will happen. Like PSEye, Sony said, "it can do this, this, and this," but none of that stuff ever happened. Here we have an MS spokesperson saying, "Kinect can do this and that," which are real possibilities, but that's not a flip-flop from what they are actually bringing to market which is a controllerless experience. Maybe a 3rd party will introduce a combination of Kinect and controller, but at this point you have to wonder why they haven't. And even more surprising, why hasn't MS allowed Kinect to be incorporated into its flagship titles to help move Kinect units.

So really, nothing new. We covered that MS could combine controllers and props with Kinect in their technology, and we still haven't heard of anyone actually doing this.

flip-flop cause I believe this is the first time (though Im perhaps wrong) someone from MS saiz actually this tech that we've been promoted for the last couple of years as "controllerfree" goto their website + thats all they mention, and now theyre talking about having controllers as well to improve gameplay. Which completely destroy's the notion of controller-free. Its like being pregnant you either are or not, you cant be a little bit pregnant.

And even more surprising, why hasn't MS allowed Kinect to be incorporated into its flagship titles to help move Kinect units.
Well I think theres a car racing game which is the closest to a non party/fitness game for it sofar.
now apparently you can only steer the car + also push your hands forward for a speedboost (I assume youre not steering at the time)
i.e. theres no brake or acceleration!

What this results in is a "controller-free" experience where the player has less actual control of the car than the first car videogames back from the dawn of videogames!

Thats the main reason, a minor secondary reason is if the title is CPU expensive then you dont want to surrender ~10% of the CPU on kinect

flip-flop cause I believe this is the first time (though Im perhaps wrong) someone from MS saiz actually this tech that we've been promoted for the last couple of years as "controllerfree" goto their website + thats all they mention, and now theyre talking about having controllers as well to improve gameplay. Which completely destroy's the notion of controller-free. Its like being pregnant you either are or not, you cant be a little bit pregnant.

I'm stuck at work with horrible filters so I can't really do a good search, but I know for a fact that someone has mentioned the possibility of using the controller with kinect before.

MS ahve mentioned it before as a possibility, and gone on to say that at the moment they are targeting a different audience.

Perhaps we are for a moment forgetting the problems Microsoft have had with playing Kinect and sitting. So yes, we're definitely going to get Kinect with controller, but the games for this need some very specific 'training' or programming that currently Microsoft hasn't been ready for yet.

They've mentioned it before in other interviews that nothing precludes using Kinect with a controller. So there's no flip flopping around.

I think you're far too caught up in the initial marketing push for Kinect which is focused on the controller free message.

I'm not sure MS will come out with a one handed controller. It would certainly make sense. But it's far more likely that the first games requiring a physical controller will just use the standard X360 controller.

Either way, they still haven't diluted or deviated from their launch marketing push of controllerless gaming. It still remains the main focus. They are still targetting non-core gamers. Mixed control methods will come into play when they start going after the core crowd also. Something else that's been mentioned here and there from not only Microsoft but also from other publishers (Capcom for instance has a core game for Kinect in the works).

So hopefully, MS won't be accused of flip flopping when that happens also. :)

Besides, how does using a controller with Kinect make all the games that are controllerless suddenly not controllerless games? :p The pregnancy analogy fails horribly. :) Perhaps eating soup would be better analogy. Soup straight out of the pot (casual controllerless game) is probably best eaten with a spoon (controllerless) but if you say added enough rice (like I do) such that it's no longer soupy (less casual game) you can now eat it with either a spoon or a fork. :p It's still a horrible analogy. :D But the point is, that adding a controller doesn't suddenly make it impossible to play without a controller if the game is designed that way.

Regards,
SB

see http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/xbox/
3 recent press releases about kinect (i.e. not initial)
All 3 talk about "Controller-Free Entertainment", i.e. in not one press release do they talk about kinect with a controller

Which is still the initial marketing push, not too hard to understand. I'd imagine sometime next year is when they may or may not start to push Kinect to the core crowd with Kinect + controller.

But the initial push (read: this year) is all about the controller free message. And that marketing push has remained pretty focused and undiluted.

Regards,
SB

0001463315849_500X500.jpg

capture.jpg

Harry Potter is just the start. You'll see more in the next year.

Tommy McClain

Back