Kinect is not required to be plugged into the xbox one

I pre ordered a XBone yesterday after the announcement that Kinect isn't mandatory anymore. Don't get me wrong I still think the whole console is a disappointment and I only chose it over the PS4 because I know I would like the gamepad.

So the PS4 pad isn't good? What a strange way to make a purchase decision, two great pads neither of which is out....

I'm not sure why gamers are particularly averse to new input methods anyway. The most common complaint I hear about games is "sequelitis" or "just another ..." You can't add more buttons to gamepads or increase their complexity in any way. We're not getting the split Move-style controller I was expecting on other console. So what exactly is supposed to enable games to play differently? Without a way to input more commands to the system, you're going to be reduced to doing things like "context-sensitive" inputs, which is more and more like watching games play themselves. Is it really hard to believe that with something like PS Eye or Kinect bundled as a standard attachment, guaranteed to be connected at all times, that someone wouldn't have found a new innovative use for it some time during the 5-10 year lifecycle?

Someone talking about "sequelitis" or "just another..." when using that kind of criticism isn't averse to new input methods, and those two issues aren't mutually exclusive. They just feel that the input method in question should be able to win over an audience on its own merit. Show that it brings something genuinely new to the table that can't be done in any other way.

If the new input method is so revolutionary that it will easily appeal to people, why force it? Why not demonstrate to consumers the benefits and conveniences then let them decide? If MS is sure that this will be easily accepted, then it shouldn't need to be bundled with every XB1 to have a chance of selling in the first place. If it has killer motion-control software that people will be completely comfortable with well after a few months, it will be the kind of peripheral that doesn't need to be a mandated bundle from the beginning.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the new Kinect will be bad, but I don't quite see new advances in camera tech ending anytime soon. So why not wait for the tech to mature to a point where developers don't have to conform what they can or can't do with either control scheme.

So the PS4 pad isn't good? What a strange way to make a purchase decision, two great pads neither of which is out....

It's hardly a strange reason, I can't use a ps2 or ps3 controller for more than 20 minutes without my left hand cramping up. The ps4 seems to have similar ergonomics (certainly the same thumbstick placement) if I ever get a ps4 I don't doubt I'd immediately be looking at a 3rd party controller.

Yes , where was the backlash with bluray in the ps3 that delayed the console a year. Or physical media on the vita that 60% + barely use at this point.

Its just hate for hates sake against the Kinect. Its not even out yet and people don't even know how it will work compared to previous gen.
Okay, that's just overreaching at the least. The PS3 was criticized for BluRay, it was criticized for the cell processor, and I'm pretty sure it was criticized for the $599 price tag.

The Vita's physical media for games wasn't the problem, just the expensive proprietary memory cards needed to use for expandable storage. No microSD or a small amount of built-in storage for game saves at the least.

Both products were criticized quite a bit, so that is no excuse.

It's hardly a strange reason, I can't use a ps2 or ps3 controller for more than 20 minutes without my left hand cramping up. The ps4 seems to have similar ergonomics (certainly the same thumbstick placement) if I ever get a ps4 I don't doubt I'd immediately be looking at a 3rd party controller.

The same ergonomics? The only thing that's remained the same is the thumbstick placement, everything else on the DualShock 4 has changed for the better.

Read other people's experiences with the controller, keep in mind the actual changes, but don't knock the DS4 until you've actually tried it yourself.

But hey, if it comes down to thumbstick placement for choosing either console, then more power to you my friend.

I don't know if Sony's new pad is significant better than previous ones but the stick layout is still the same. I've always thought the xbox felt more natural so I don't expect any negative reaction here. Prefering a console because of how the gamepad feels isn't surely not strange:)

The same ergonomics? The only thing that's remained the same is the thumbstick placement, everything else on the DualShock 4 has changed for the better.

Read other people's experiences with the controller, keep in mind the actual changes, but don't knock the DS4 until you've actually tried it yourself.

But hey, if it comes down to thumbstick placement for choosing either console, then more power to you my friend.

I said similar and other people's experience means nothing especially when a lot of those other people thought the awful ps2 controller was great.

What do people say/think about Crytek stating that they changed Ryse from being a Kinect game to a gamepad based game as they couldn't make it work such that they could deliver a 'hardcore' experience as Cervat said?

Crytek guys are the brightest tec heads around, but even they couldn't figure out how to hardcore Kinect. This shows me personally, that Kinect will not contribute to an experience I am looking for, or that substantial development effort is needed to make it happen, which may hinder a lot of devs to consider it.

I think that it might be an intrinsic problem of the device...even if they could reduce the lag to zero: moving your whole arm or body is way slower than just moving your thump or finger (gamepad). Heck, PC people even laugh about gamepad controls because they are so slow compared to K&M.

I really can only think of a boxing simulation game, where the kinect idea attracts me and might add value to the experience. However, we have to wait and see if the tec is really there, even for such a naturally suited application, as we experienced e.g. how people moaned about input lag of Killzone 2.

In conclusion, I am very happy that I do not need to use Kinect. I am unhappy that I have to pay for it and that due to Kinect, the X1 costs 100 more. I would have prefered the Sony approach, where Kinect is not bundled, X1 for 400 and Kinect optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going full motion controls only as was the original idea behind Ryse was always going to be an extremely difficult undertaking for a "hardcore" game experience.

Where motion controls make sense for "hardcore" games is going to be in enhancing controller based play rather than replacing it.

It'll be interesting to see if Crytek has ditched Kinect entirely, ditched only motion controls while keeping voice, or kept some motion controls to enhance the controller based gameplay.

Regards,
SB

Someone talking about "sequelitis" or "just another..." when using that kind of criticism isn't averse to new input methods, and those two issues aren't mutually exclusive. They just feel that the input method in question should be able to win over an audience on its own merit. Show that it brings something genuinely new to the table that can't be done in any other way.

If the new input method is so revolutionary that it will easily appeal to people, why force it? Why not demonstrate to consumers the benefits and conveniences then let them decide? If MS is sure that this will be easily accepted, then it shouldn't need to be bundled with every XB1 to have a chance of selling in the first place. If it has killer motion-control software that people will be completely comfortable with well after a few months, it will be the kind of peripheral that doesn't need to be a mandated bundle from the beginning.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the new Kinect will be bad, but I don't quite see new advances in camera tech ending anytime soon. So why not wait for the tech to mature to a point where developers don't have to conform what they can or can't do with either control scheme.

What?

Yeah, the HDD/online connectivity sales as peripherals burned holes through accessory sales charts forcing manufacturer to add them as standards. Since everybody bought them as peripherals, "why not make them standard" was the motivator factor for manufacturers. I don't remember that happening.

Besides the overall console userbase what userbase is larger than motion controlled enabled userbase? Homes with two controllers? Because its larger than the userbase of any one console platform. Why will 2/3rd of console platform come with motion control as a standard while a third will employ part of their motion control system as a standard on its controllers?

Ohh, poor sales reflect badly on Kinect. By what standard? Is that the standard looking at the historical sales performance of software intimately tied to peripherals? I imagine you won't find too many peripherals in history that sold more software than Kinect.

The decision of including Kinect as a standard is as easy as its ever been for a peripheral gaining standard status.

I'll never understand paranoia

I'm going to guess he never goes anywhere near a smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer with a front facing camera since he can't trust the "pixels in some menu" saying that the camera is actually off and not recording.

Regards,
SB

I'll never understand paranoia

If the international customer and the companies not only in the USA lost control over their own internet connected products due to the NSA's social data mining interests and the political climate paranoia is the only way for people to protect their privacy.

I don't know if Sony's new pad is significant better than previous ones but the stick layout is still the same. I've always thought the xbox felt more natural so I don't expect any negative reaction here. Prefering a console because of how the gamepad feels isn't surely not strange:)

It wouldn't be, if you had actually held both and were making an informed decision. The DualShock 4's ergonomics are by all accounts very, very different from any previous dualshock. That seems quite obvious to me just by looking at pictures. I couldn't say how it feels just going by that, but we also have basically unanimous press accounts saying it is incredibly comfortable and the equal of the Xbox One controller.

There are devs on this board that will tell you that peripherals will not be invested in unless the attach rate is incredibly high. It's a bit of a chicken or the egg problem. Gamers want proof the device is worth it, but devs won't spend much time thinking about it unless gamers buy it. My concern is that even allowing people to unplug the thing and put it away in the closet will be enough of a deterrent to devs making use of it, because they'll now have to mark, "Kinect Required" on the game packaging.

It seems fairly obvious that the traditional gamepad is a gameplay limiter. I think Kinect being pushed as a controller replacement was a bad idea. They should have invested more internally in finding ways to use Kinect to augment the traditional experience. I was hoping that is what they'd do this time around, and Kinect would be standard, plugged in and turned on for all consoles.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that Kinect 2 could suck, but it seems unlikely. They seem to have made big improvements on accuracy, and some improvement to lag and the Xbox One has more power to handle a bigger workload. It certainly won't be equivalent to using Kinect 1 on 360.

Between voice control, motion control and facial recognition, I'm sure someone will find useful new ideas, it just might take time. Maybe Kinect is not the killer app, but it's something other than the same dual-stick gamepad we've been playing with for over a decade. $100 is not a big deal at launch. I know price tends to win out, but it's $100 for a device you'll use for the next five to ten years.

Between voice control, motion control and facial recognition, I'm sure someone will find useful new ideas, it just might take time.

Bingo.Why wouldnt people want ANOTHER way to interact with their system? I remember Atari 2600 joysticks that had one button and a tight ass joystick. Now gamepads have ten buttons, two analog sticks and digital pad. Adding in voice and motion is a plus as they are natural activities for all of us.

I can't wait to see what they come up with - but I'm sold just on the media manipulation features by themselves. I watch tv more than I game so anything that can potentially improve both experiences and/or not force me to segregate the experiences is a plus.

"Xbox on. Play Strider. Xbox find Game of Thrones. Xbox find New York Giants. Xbox off" could be an entire Sunday for me.

Wrong thread. Take that talk to the RSPCA thread.

Well, I think this thread was never going to be about games and/or technology (as seen in your sig), but rather about people's opinion on kinect 2 being mandatory to be plugged in or not.

Games and technology won't change, because the kinect 2 is still bundled with every xbone. The only thing that changes is how people will/won't feel more comfortable about being able to play games without the thing being plugged in, and such opinion will not be based on games or tech.
I've been away from this thread because I don't really know how any form of opinion I could post here could avoid being against the console forum's new, tighter rules.
Perhaps the thread itself belongs to another sub-forum?

Yes , where was the backlash with bluray in the ps3 that delayed the console a year. Or physical media on the vita that 60% + barely use at this point.

Its just hate for hates sake against the Kinect. Its not even out yet and people don't even know how it will work compared to previous gen.

I think you have a selective memory my friend, the PS3 had it's share of Blu-Ray hate, and not just from envy 360 owners. But it's apple to oranges. The Kinect 2 was presented as the always on listening and watching device that would react to any voice command and a hand gesture UI to follow suit. Even when the XBOX was turned "off". And we were told there was no way it could be unplugged and i think the "disable in settings" was something that was added later, or at least we weren't told from the get go.

Apart from the pure practical stuff, for example my Kinect sensor is not perfectly placed unless it's needed for games (i have a WII bar at the same position). The Kinect 2 getting dropped and your XBOX1 essential turning into a brick.

And then, add the tinfoil panic that it turns out NSA is listening in on everything we do. Naturally many had a knee jerk reaction when they saw that NSA actually had gained access to Skype and other Microsoft services. And just because Microsoft says they would fight any court order (which might not be needed anyway as snowden seems to suggest) it doesn't help getting confidence in tinfoil people.

And we haven't even started on the games yet, there is not a single Kinect 1 game than imho opinion creates a new lasting gaming experience or genre. I had the PS2 eye, remember this:

I played the Kinect version "happy action theater" by far the best Kinect game i have played, the others are fun, but they are in no way putting me in gamers heaven or pushing me into genres unknown. As i said before, the legimate use for Kinect 2 is the Star Trek/Minority Raport, if it works outside USA, without gold and it's as good as they promise it could turn into the way to control your CE devices in the future. But please allow us to be sceptical, kinect promised things that never really materialized so why should Kinect 2 be different.

To sum it up

Its just hate for hates sake against the Kinect
No it is not..

Well you could have read one of fifty previews of the pad, all glowing. Stick placements, I can't argue with that old canard.

Back