Kinect Games

Got an email from MS about kinect. They mention 15 games at launch on Nov 4th

On November 4th, Xbox will launch KINECT™ for Xbox 360® along with more than 15 exciting controller-free games. With full-body, voice, and multi-player play right out of the box, KINECT is the most complete and affordable way for everyone to have fun—no controllers, wands, or balance boards required. Read on to receive a special pre-order offer and be among the first to experience the future of entertainment.

Yes, so no news there I think because that's exactly the same as what they announced at E3, isn't it?

You do understand the definition of a launch game don't you? Quit being so obtuse.

Tommy McClain

"Lewis was quick to point out that although Kinect won't appeal to hard-core gamers out of the gate, Microsoft is still fully aware of its need to appeal to those players."

New songs for Dance Central announced at Comic-Con...

• Snoop Dogg – "Drop It Like Its Hot"
  • Salt-N-Pepa – "Push It"
  • Young MC – "Bust A Move"

Source: Press Release

Tommy McClain

Posts deleted. It's not like there's a lack of Kinect threads elsewhere to discuss the tech and business side!

Looks like Kinect is going on tour in the UK & Ireland afterall...

Kinect for Xbox 360 is taking to the road, so you can try the magic of controller-free gaming for yourself!

Kinect will be travelling all over the UK and Ireland visiting a host of theme parks and events between now and December. Alongside the tour, Kinect will also have a summer home in London’s Covent Garden – the Kinect Galleries.

And your Kinect experience isn't over once you've finished playing... You'll get a 25 second video clip of your Kinect play session that you can share with family and friends. Take a look on www.kinect.me to see who's already tried Kinect!

The Tour!

Dates and locations confirmed so far are…

Alton Towers – 31st July– 31st August
London Zoo – 7th – 22nd August
The Thames Festival in London – 11th – 12th September
Chessington World of Adventures – 21st – 31st October
Clothes Show Live in Birmingham (NEC) – 2nd – 8th December

MORE DATES IN THE REST OF THE UK COMING SOON!

Kinect Galleries

The Galleries will be open to the public on Saturday 31st July 2010, and will be open daily between 10am and 8pm at 4-6 Russell Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2E 7BN. We’ll have more info soon on how you can book a slot, so watch this space!

http://www.facebook.com/KinectforXbox360

Tommy McClain

Nice to see they aren't completely ignoring Europe. England is one of the few countries in Europe where the X360 sells better than the PS3 right?

Regards,
SB

Great gameplay video of Bowling at Macy's in Atlanta...

Looks fun. Not sure it's worth buying Sports just for it though.

Tommy McClain

I watched the live Engadget Show and saw Peter Molyneux get grilled about Kinect support in Fable 3. I figured they wouldn't be able to ship the game with Kinect support as it's coming out before Kinect, but he response seemed like that might not ship as an update later. Here's Engadget's sister site Joystiq report about it...

Joystiq said:
Lionhead boss and Microsoft Game Studios Europe director Peter Molyneux has revealed on the Engadget Show that Fable 3 will not ship with any Kinect functionality, despite past confirmations to the contrary. Joystiq spoke with Molyneux following his appearance on the show and learned that some form of Kinect content may be available post-launch, and that whatever was initially planned to be built into the game just wasn't up to snuff.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/04/molyneux-fable-3-will-not-include-kinect-functionality-at-launc/

I think I'll leave the game on the OP for now, but once we get a clearer answer about it not coming I'll remove it lickity split.

The archived Engadget Show video goes up tomorrow. I'll add a link to it then.

Tommy McClain

I think peter M wants fable 3 to be as bug free as possible.
Didn't he admit that Fable 2 had over 2000 bugs and would almost not pass cert if they didn't cut away content. And with kinect being new it would certainly introduce some more bugs too worry about.

Great gameplay video of Bowling at Macy's in Atlanta...

Looks fun. Not sure it's worth buying Sports just for it though.

Tommy McClain
In the bowling game, how does it know when you let go of the ball, by guessing? Magic? Also, it seems to need very exaggarated movements to put a spin to the ball.

I think a killer app for Kinect (and Move) would be a MMOG (MMORPG preferably) where the avatars mimic player movements. That would make each avatar truly unique, and make some group activities really funny :p
Imagine that you'd no longer be restricted to pre-canned animations to express yourself in the virtual world. No longer you'd need to limit yourself to just rude words and cussing but you'd actually be able to add body language to it too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a killer app for Kinect (and Move) would be a MMOG (MMORPG preferably) where the avatars mimic player movements. That would make each avatar truly unique, and make some group activities really funny :p
Imagine that you'd no longer be restricted to pre-canned animations to express yourself in the cirtual world. No longer you'd need to liit yourself to just rude words and cussing but you'd actually be able to add body language to it too!

Unless they did something to limit certain types of actions that would pretty much make it a mature rated game. Which would be a problem with MS marketing more to families, kids, and females for launch.

Right now people awkwardly try to do "humping" and "tea bagging" animations in MMO's. Imagine how much worse that and other things would be where player movement is virtually unlimited.

I'm sure people will try that out in some of the launch games, but those aren't MMO's and easier to limit to non-online or just people on friends list.

Regards,
SB

Back