Kinect Games

Oh absolutely. But it should be able to work well enough eventually though. And anything that can bring back that freedom of typing anything that comes into your head into a textbox in games like the Sierra adventures (Larry, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, etc.) is a big, big win in my book. God I miss those days - it's one of the type of experiences I miss most currently on consoles, and I liked that kind of freedom much more back in the day than the Lucasarts style of adventures where you click/choose one of the available options. Just much more fun to try and see what works (causes less clutter on screen as well)

Not only that but sometimes the humor invested in responses to non-gameplay related terms was absolutely hilarious. At least in the Infocom games. Sierra games had it to an extent but not as much as Infocom.

I spent hours just trying all kinds of word combinations just to see what the response from the games would be.

Regards,
SB

Are there any more expected but unannounced titles for Kinect? Or is the OP list pretty much the line-up for launch and a fair while after? Edit: Rumours abound of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows being Kinect enabled.

Other than Harry Potter, I haven't seen any other rumors. Even that one is a stretch. The only "evidence" is that it's an optional game for the Walmart pre-order.

Here's some video from Joystiq on the football(soccer) game inside Kinect Sports...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/14/p...o-see-kinect-sports-soccer-footage/#continued

Tommy McClain

Not only that but sometimes the humor invested in responses to non-gameplay related terms was absolutely hilarious. At least in the Infocom games. Sierra games had it to an extent but not as much as Infocom.

I spent hours just trying all kinds of word combinations just to see what the response from the games would be.

Yes, me too. Each game responded to cursing completely 'in character'. Loved it.

hmm, with milo & kate technology, (the cloud AI data being told at TED)
maybe Xbox 360 will sell a lot in japan. They need to work together with konami to make "Love Plus 360" with Natal support.

or release a nanami-chan (windows 7 mascot) xbox 360 game with kinect.
we can say things to nanami like ask her to play the music collection etc etc...

hmm

maybe just make @NUDE.2 with natal

Sega's Mike Hayes was interviewed by CVG and he mentioned challenges with Kinect & their plans to release a "sophisticated" title for the hardcore late 2011 or early 2012.

You mentioned your Sonic Kinect game. Do you think that might help you stand out - because you've got that ability to draw the eye of more experienced gamers?
I hope so. You and I talked about this before with Sonic; we've got this big segmentation opportunity, although it's also a real challenge.

We've got to make games that appeal to the 7-to-12-year-old which is exactly what Colours will do - and then we need to appeal to the core gamer, which is what Sonic 4 is doing.

Riders, funnily enough, is actually where the boundary is grey, and we like to say it will appeal to both. The feedback we're getting from retailers is that because it's branded is very popular both in America and Europe, it's an easier sale when they're talking about Kinect to consumers - "look you've got Sonic".

So whether it's the core gamer that wants Kinect titles that are more gamey or whether it's the animals game-type [type of consumer] I think Sonic fits in between.

So I'm hoping we get a bit of both on that but until we see where Kinect ends up in terms of who is going to buy it, and the price point is interesting, it's difficult to call.

What did you make of Kinect and Microsoft's presentation at E3? Generally, our audience seemed to be disappointed with it in comparison to the Sony and Nintendo showings...
By the 360 presentation?

By the 360 presentation.
Why was that?

Not only because it was Kinect-focused, but because the games MS showed for Kinect perhaps didn't live up to the hardware revolution that was hinted in 2009...
Right, because they showed dance and because they showed keep fit stuff.

In the year before we saw something that looked like it was going to be a massive step forward for technology...
I think that's probably a bit harsh. The dev kits we've had to work on have been exponentially improving over the period we've had them. The amount you can do out of the blocks is actually made pretty tricky.

I think what Microsoft have got is a vision of where that's going to go, I think when we're here this time next year Kinect will have more of the features that will be and are available on it.

My guess is when we're at E3 next year, more of the features of Kinect will be in use by developers. I think you'll find more clever and sophisticated applications then.

It is a reasonably complicated piece of kit, therefore it's going to take us longer to use all of those aspects in a game. We're not going to be able to develop something [for the hardcore] in under a year, which is frankly what we've had.

As developers, we understand that. [PlayStation] Move is probably slightly different because we've been involved with that kind of motion control with Wii and to be honest what we did with EyeToy etc. before, so it's probably easier for Sony to show and deliver more right now.

As I say, this time next year I think there will be more intuitive uses of Kinect which will probably appeal to a more sophisticated audience.

Is that something Sega is interested in? Creating a more a sophisticated title or titles for Kinect that may appeal to a hardcore gamer?
Yeah. We want to do more clever things on it - create original ways of using it, rather than just taking existing ideas and not just doing the same thing. Having said that, of course, with the success that we've had with Wii, there are a lot of motion games we would like to reinvent for Move and Kinect.

We've got a tech group based in England, in Southall [Middlesex]. We took them from the Racing Studio when we closed that as it was actually a very good team - we just couldn't find something for them to do. They're sat with their test tubes and Bunsen burners and that's exactly what they're doing - using the new devices to see what we can do in an original way.

We've got one good idea and hopefully something will be out the back end of next year, perhaps early 2012, which we think will use the aspects of Kinect a lot more originally and in a more sophisticated way.

Tommy McClain

I'm looking forward to your observations. The closest the Kinect Tour is getting to me is Dallas, but that's in the middle of October. :(

EDIT: Here's the Kinect Tour locations I put in the other thread...

Code:
Kinect Experience Mobile Demo Tour (Dates subject to change)			

East Coast			
July 17–18	Manhattan	NY	Macy’s
July 20–22	East Falmouth	MA	Barnstable County Fair
July 24–25	Manhattan	NY	Seaport-Lower Manhattan Entertainment Area
July 28–Aug. 1	Washington	DC	Six Flags America
Aug. 4–6	Canton		OH	Football Hall of Fame – Rib Burnoff
Aug. 7–8	Canton		OH	Football Hall of Fame Festival Weekend
Aug. 11–15	Chicago		IL	Air Show/Navy Pier
Aug. 19–21	Detroit		MI	Woodward Dream Cruise – Auto Festival
Aug. 26–30	St. Paul	MN	Minnesota State Fair
Aug. 30–Oct. 24	Tampa		FL	Westfield Citrus Park Shopping Mall
Sept. 3–6	Indianapolis	IN	Rib America Festival
Sept. 10–13	Nashville	TN	Tennessee State Fair
Sept. 15–16	Atlanta		GA	Atlantic Station – Entertainment Plaza
Sept. 18–19	Atlanta		GA	Atlanta Arts Festival
Sept. 23–26	Charlotte	NC	Festival in the Park
Oct. 1–2	Orlando		FL	Disney Wine and Dine Marathon
Oct. 8–10	Valdosta	GA	Wild Adventures Theme Park
Oct. 14–17	Dallas		TX	Texas State Fair
Oct. 21–24	Shreveport	LA	Louisiana State Fair

West Coast			
July 15–Aug. 22	Minneapolis	MN	Mall of America
July 25–26	San Diego	CA	Youth Surf Cup – Soccer
July 28–Aug. 1	Sacramento	CA	California State Fair
Aug. 6–8	Portland	OR	Bite of Oregon Food Festival
Aug.10–11	Seattle		WA	Woodland Park Zoo
Aug. 13–15	Seattle		WA	Taste of Edmonds – Food Festival
Aug. 19–22	Vancouver	BC	Summerfest
Aug. 27–Sept. 1	Pueblo		CO	Colorado State Fair
Sept. 3–6	Denver		CO	Elitch Gardens
Sept. 9–12	Albuquerque	NM	New Mexico State Fair
Sept. 16–19	Salt Lake City	UT	Utah State Fair
Sept. 24–26	Los Angeles	CA	Universal City Walk
Oct. 1–3	San Diego	CA	Miramar Air Fest
Oct. 7–11	San Francisco	CA	Fleet Week – Military Ship and Air Festival
Oct. 15–17	Phoenix		AZ	Arizona State Fair
Oct. 20–24	Las Vegas	NV	PBR World Finals

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:

good news

Remember those leaked videos showing the horrible latency of Kinect Adventure's Rally Ball; Jonathan Ross swiping what seemed like seconds before his on-screen avatar did the same?

Forget them - each and every limb flick or gesture I pull is represented on the TV in front of me with no perceptible delay. Heck, the experience of kicking the rubber spheres in the title even feels cutting edge - if only fleetingly. River Rush is the same - my gangly hopping and leaning instantly affecting the water boarding action.

...But the kit works. Like, really works. It's much more than a shonky Eye-Toy - and fears of lag have been wildly overplayed. Believers in Kinect's long-term potential for providing unconventional, breakthrough experiences finally have something to smile about.

Oh, and what of MTV's Dance Central? Well, it's the slickest, most sophisticated piece of software I've seen on Kinect - and boasts surprisingly next-gen visuals. For abashment-free jigglers in 'Juicy'-branded buttock warmers, it's probably the best game of its type ever made.

Old? Or did I only read this on Gaf? Anyway, I've seen a fair few videos of someone playing where the lag was still considerable. Look for instance at the bowling game. Not that it's very important there, but if you hold the ball in front of you, and then pull back to throw, you see the ball follow you about 200-400ms later. I have not seen much better than that anywhere so far, to be honest, though a game like Dance Central does, as we already discussed, hide the lag very well among others by not making your own movements prominent on screen. Same for the hurdle game, that blinks green to suggest when you should jump, which is well in advance to help you account for lag.

The bowling game has some cool physics stuff though, as you can throw the ball almost any way you like; overhand, underhand, rolling it, etc.

Anyway, I've seen a fair few videos of someone playing where the lag was still considerable.
Yes, there's contradictory evidence both ways. Trying to consolidate it into what's really going on, the fact we can see lag in videos shows it's present, so I guess reports of no lag from users is because in the thick of it, they aren't perceiving it. And at the end of the day, that's the main thing. If lag isn't affecting the game, its presence isn't an issue. The experience is clearly enjoyable.

Yes, there's contradictory evidence both ways. Trying to consolidate it into what's really going on, the fact we can see lag in videos shows it's present, so I guess reports of no lag from users is because in the thick of it, they aren't perceiving it. And at the end of the day, that's the main thing. If lag isn't affecting the game, its presence isn't an issue. The experience is clearly enjoyable.

Oh I agree. I just felt a need to be precise, since we're on beyond3d. ;) The bowling game is a good example I think where the lag really doesn't matter much. In a sense it gives you a chance to look at your throw better. If they had told me they'd done it on purpose for that reason, I may have believed them outside of the context of everything I know about Kinect.

Back