Kinect Games

Another Microsoft Store demo. It's in HD & has Dance Central with freestyling & Kinect Sports Bowling. Guy dancing was really good. I think Dance Central will be the killer app this holiday. From what little I've seen of Kinect Sports I'm not real excited about it being included with the camera.

Well my biggest fears are coming true so far. The comments say that he choose 'Hard' but he had no trouble. Now not to take away from his skill, because there are obviously plenty of people for which this would probably be 'Hard', but for me personally I don't think this will have the depth I'm looking for. :( Will be keeping an eye on this as a one-time big DDR fan, but so far? Hmm.

EDIT: re Yoostar 2: good! Clearly they expect to have more use of the Camera thanks to that being a part of the new push for Motion controls. I like the idea quite a bit, even if I have no idea if it really works, but I think it should be a lot of fun. They have some good titles in there, but big props in particular for getting CSI Miami in there. Very good choice! :p

Noting though that the background removal on the show floor footage when Nemoy was playing really didn't look that hot. But I'm sure it'll clean up eventually.

Just to clear up any confusions, but Kinectimals does not use any Milo tech from Lionhead...

Frontier Development's Chairman said:
"I'd like to address some stories that are currently circulating, that Kinectimals from Frontier is somehow related to Milo and Kate from Lionhead,
Kinectimals has been in development since before we saw Milo. It is built using Frontier's own technology shared with other Frontier games in development, and ideas evolved from earlier games like "Dog's Life". There has not been any involvement in the technology or design by Lionhead. Milo and Kate is a completely separate (and intriguing) development from Lionhead."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=20807

Tommy McClain

BTW, here's one of the plush toys that were given out at the Cirque du Soleil event & E3...

screenshot_14895.jpg

ms_tag_instructions.jpg

As you can see from the tag around its neck, it has a specially designed bar code that can be scanned by Kinect that will unlock the animal in the game. This is similar to what Rare did with the collectible cards in Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise.

You can buy them on eBay.

Tommy McClain

Looks like Kinectimals is getting a tie-in with Burger King. Burger King announced during E3 that they were going to collaborate with Microsoft on the Kinect launch, but never did say what that meant(a game, etc). Looks like it's going to be code like on the above plush toy, but instead on a play toy that your virtual cat will be able play with in game...

Burger King is partnering with Microsoft to target children and offer a free toy in Kiddie Meals that will also act as a virtual toy within Xbox games. The physical toys will come with a tag, which is used to scan the toy into an Xbox Kinect game called Kinectimals. The launch is expected before Christmas this year.

Speaking at the Cannes Lions Festival, Microsoft senior vice president Mich Mathews used the deal with Burger King to explain the branding opportunities made possible by Microsoft’s controller-free technology, Kinect. The Kinect technology will work by linking up a motion and voice sensitive camera to the Xbox 360. The Kinect add-on is already available for pre-order and will be officially released sometime in the autumn.

The Kinectimals game is targeted at children and allows players to bond with five different animals by teaching them new tricks, playing together and completing challenges. After the Burger King toy is scanned into the game, the virtual toy can be thrown around and the pet animal will fetch it and bring it back to the player.

Source: Mad.co.uk

Really disappointed we're not getting Sneak King 2. :(

Tommy McClain

So a possible line of Kinectimal plushies you can scan into the game. And a possible line of Kinectimal pet toys you can buy and scan into the game? If so, potential for revenue is high IF Kinect and Kinectimals takes off.

But I'm not sure how enthused people would be with buying toys for their virtual pets, although if Freerealms is anything to go by there's certainly people willing to spend lots of money on virtual pets and virtual pet accessories.

Regards,
SB

Well, I'm not sure if the pet toys will be available for sale separately through the Live Marketplace. It would make sense, but Burger King could have an exclusive there in their BK Kids Meals. However, Microsoft has said that the plush toys will be available for sale at launch. My wife really wants one of the plush toys. I will probably end up buying one off eBay. As for the pet toys, she's not real keen on eating at Burger King, but she'll do it since I want them and I love their food. ;)

Tommy McClain

Well, I'm not sure if the pet toys will be available for sale separately through the Live Marketplace. It would make sense, but Burger King could have an exclusive there in their BK Kids Meals. However, Microsoft has said that the plush toys will be available for sale at launch. My wife really wants one of the plush toys. I will probably end up buying one off eBay. As for the pet toys, she's not real keen on eating at Burger King, but she'll do it since I want them and I love their food. ;)

Tommy McClain

Hehe, I kinda miss Burger King while in Japan, there's only a few here and hard to find. Damn, but you just made me start craving a whopper. :p

I wonder if they'll come out with a Dog plushy or do a free DLC for canine pets. I'm really starting to want this, but I just don't like cats. :p

Regards,
SB

Dogs would be great. They seemed kind of cagey about the adding dogs question in a video I seen. It would make sense to add it later as DLC though. Really craving a Whopper too, will have to have one this weekend. I'll tell you how it goes. LOL j/k :)

Tommy McClain

So a possible line of Kinectimal plushies you can scan into the game. And a possible line of Kinectimal pet toys you can buy and scan into the game? If so, potential for revenue is high IF Kinect and Kinectimals takes off.

But I'm not sure how enthused people would be with buying toys for their virtual pets, although if Freerealms is anything to go by there's certainly people willing to spend lots of money on virtual pets and virtual pet accessories.

Think of it as DLC you buy in a store and can actually hold :mrgreen:
I imagine they are going after the webkins market, which is pretty huge from what I understand.

I posted the story about the Burger King toys on Frontier Developments own Kinectimals forum and asked if the toys were exclusive to Burger King and what other kind of animals we'll see. I got the following reply from Michael Brookes, a producer:

The toys are currently exclusive to Burger King, you will need the tag from the meal to unlock the toy.

Kinectimals is a variety of wild (but lovely :) ) cat cubs, there's no word on other animals at the moment.

Michael

Speaking of Michael, looks like the Michael Jackson game will be a combination of singing, dancing and singing and dancing at the same time. There will also be DLC available. They're still planning on releasing this fall, but why so secretive on what's in it or what it looks like?

http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/02/interview-michael-jackson-the-games-felicia-williams/

Tommy McClain

Not sure how well the Michael Jackson game will do in the US. His popularity has been a bit of a roller coaster here, although his death sort of sparked a revival of interest in him.

In the rest of the world though, I think he's remained quite popular over the years, especially over in the Orient. I wouldn't be surprised to see a small spike in X360 sales in Japan when it releases despite the 360 being almost dead in Japan, for example.

Regards,
SB

Not sure how well the Michael Jackson game will do in the US. His popularity has been a bit of a roller coaster here, although his death sort of sparked a revival of interest in him.

In the rest of the world though, I think he's remained quite popular over the years, especially over in the Orient. I wouldn't be surprised to see a small spike in X360 sales in Japan when it releases despite the 360 being almost dead in Japan, for example.

Regards,
SB

he is big again. They are opening his ride back up in disney

Burger King toy demonstration...

Looks like we get giraffes & elephants pet toys. Wonder if that means those animals will join the cats too?

Tommy McClain

Looks like we get giraffes & elephants pet toys. Wonder if that means those animals will join the cats too?

Tommy McClain

my nephew who will be 2 when this comes out is going to friggen flip out over this game.

Tommy McClain

Kinectimals can be huge. MSFT needs to figure out a way to have an "IT thing" bundle for the holiday that is NOT $300 (at least as a display price)...and maybe work on the "immediate..." scanning :LOL:

I imagine the tag scanning will be entirely optical.
Which probably explains why she was having so much trouble. The stage is really dimly lit and has very high contrast - absolute hell for optical pattern scanners.
[edit] it also appears she was holding it outside the field of view of the camera :D

Little tiger is soo cute :mrgreen:

Kinectimals can be huge. MSFT needs to figure out a way to have an "IT thing" bundle for the holiday that is NOT $300 (at least as a display price)...and maybe work on the "immediate..." scanning :LOL:

I'm not sure 300 wouldn't be an attractive price for a Kinect bundle. After all Wii released at 299 and required another 100+ USD to support multiple players.

249 USD would certainly be more attractive than 299, but I'm not sure how many more consoles it would move.

I think far more important is whether at least one or two launch titles becomes such a hit that everyone is telling everyone that they MUST have one after trying/playing it either in store or at a friends or relatives place.

It's pretty much guaranteed that there's going to be large Media exposure in addition to a large MS advertising push.

But even with that, it's all going to come down to there being at least 1 or 2 killer games that can make people feel like they HAVE to have one.

Regards,
SB

I'm not sure 300 wouldn't be an attractive price for a Kinect bundle. After all Wii released at 299 and required another 100+ USD to support multiple players.

249 USD would certainly be more attractive than 299, but I'm not sure how many more consoles it would move.

I think far more important is whether at least one or two launch titles becomes such a hit that everyone is telling everyone that they MUST have one after trying/playing it either in store or at a friends or relatives place.

It's pretty much guaranteed that there's going to be large Media exposure in addition to a large MS advertising push.

But even with that, it's all going to come down to there being at least 1 or 2 killer games that can make people feel like they HAVE to have one.

Regards,
SB

Except it didn't launch at $299...and it does currently exist and at $199. I don't want to beat "the economy" to death but the suggestion that what occurred in 2006 holds true for 2010, well, I take exception to that.

EDIT: I think I am leaning towards EA Active for my fitness "game" of choice but that could all change a few months from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops you're right it launched at 249 USD. For some reason I thought it had gone down to 249 from 299. I probably just remembered it that way because you couldn't find it online at many places for under 299 USD for a long long time.

Regards,
SB

Back