Kinect Games

Miranda cosgrove huh. Interesting as her co star was at a MS celeb event as a host with some mtv guy (sorry but her show comes on after a bunch of shows my 15 month old nephew watches on nick) Wonder if they are going to get this on alot of nick shows. I carley is apparently bigger than any other show including the cyrus show.

Anyway it seems to work fine. They were in a studio with crazy harsh lights . You can see whenthe girl jumps she does it after him and the characters reflect it. So It looks real time to me. I hate that laugh track they put on this show tho. I thought these were filmed live.

Okay Jimmy is going. If he beats the guy the Roots get the new 360s. To bad its not for everyone at the taping. They do the hurdles and it looks real time to me.

Looks to be alot of fun tho.

The Konami dance game is more like traditional "dance" games where you just have to "touch" certain points on screen while playing.

I think Dance Central is the only one that attempts to see if your body position/motion matches the move you are supposed to be doing.

Regards,
SB

My problem with that is that it might alienate the casual gamers/non dancers - at least with the 'traditional' dance games you can blag the moves...hopefully this will be as forgiving as just dance.

But that's kind of the advancement it's promising, ey?
Just Dance felt like a waste of time to me - could be great but that would be with 8 wiimotes strapped to my limbs :LOL: I'm not saying that full precision is needed, but rather devs should never give gamers the sensation that they can "get away with it" cheaply. That seriously devalues the gameplay experience itself.

And given it's Harmonix... NO FAIL MODE! :devilish:

oh if you're talking about Dance Masters... personally I don't think vertical planes for relation would be that interesting. Konami has the ParaParaParadise franchise which I love, why can't they do something like that instead? Kinect has proper depth perception and PPP seems to make more sense as you can chain/freestyle your way through while avoiding looking like a doofus :p

But that's kind of the advancement it's promising, ey?
Just Dance felt like a waste of time to me - could be great but that would be with 8 wiimotes strapped to my limbs :LOL: I'm not saying that full precision is needed, but rather devs should never give gamers the sensation that they can "get away with it" cheaply. That seriously devalues the gameplay experience itself.
We experienced Wii at a party with various reactions. Cow racking with the lean was enjoyed by a lot of non-gamers, while Tennis saw one guy vaguely flicking his wrist, not even looking at the screen, and he'd still return serves. He wasn't trying to cheat the game, only he noticed what he did didn't really matter and there was too much autopilot. There has to be a degree of challenge, and this typically needs to be scalable if you want to appeal to a wider audience and cater for different levels of ability.

It's a very good point, it's very easy for people to 'cheat' the Wii's control scheme, then it just becomes a typical optimisation problem - how to succeed with the least effort. Not satisfying and certainly not fun. Kinect is interesting in that in theory it'll be very hard to cheat the system.

If Just Dance is any indication, then Dance Central could potentially be huge. JD has sold nearly 3 million copies, if I recall.

Some people seem to like the fact that you can "cheat" the Wii. It allows them to play sitting down. It would be hard to sit and play tennis if you really had to swing your arm like you were swinging a racket.

It's a hard thing to predict, because some people seem to be very offended by the idea of standing and being active to play games, where some people are very excited about the prospect of standing and being active, or even making use of non-games like the fitness trainers.

I do agree that a limitation with sitting will damage Kinect's usefulness because it will not be able to augment traditional style games like shooters. Performance characteristics may hinder that anyway.

I think the fitness trainers and the dancing games will probably be a big success and might carry the product if other games are not doing well. Maybe they can have a Sing & Dance game. A pop star type thing. Combining Lips and dancing seems like it could be huge.

Evidently "Get Fit with Mel B" was announced at E3, but I never saw it announced. Anyway, here's the press release.

BTW, the only Xbox 360 screenshots I've seen have been of Mel B & not the actual game. Didn't see any Xbox 360 videos either, only the Move. Weird considering it's scheduled for a Q4 2010 release.

Tommy McClain

Figured I would post this from the other thread...

AzBat said:
Couldn't find the Engadget Show on YouTube. So, I went with the source...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/t...a-microsoft-k/

Kinect Demo
32:50 Kinect Adventures - Obstacle Course - 2 player
35:15 Kinect Adventures - River Rush - 2 player
38:47 Kinectimals - 1 player
44:44 During Kinectimals demo the full body/sitting down question is answered
46:40 Kinect Joy Ride - 2 player

The more I watch Kinectimals the more I think I might want to try it as much as the kids will. :p Hope they put in dogs, I hate cats. :p

Hehe, and the shooting mechanics for the paintball game is pretty ingenious. Point your arm like a gun, raise it up to shoot (simulating gun recoil), lower it back down to aim again...

If nothing else, it sounds like Microsoft will end up with the most fit players of all the consoles. :D Virtually every game shown so far (except Child of Eden) provides some good excersize often emphasizing cardio.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinect Demos at Microsoft Stores...

Dance Central

Kinect Adventures - Complete demo run

Liking River Rush & Adventures the more and more I see it. :)

I want one of those Kinect t-shirts too! If anybody knows where I can get one, let me know. I wear a 2XL :)

Tommy McClain

Haha, that freestyle part of Dance Central was awesome, especially when it got played back at the end. :D That's going to be very popular at parties I think.

And River Rush looks like it would be right at home at a Chucky Cheese. I have a feeling any kid with that game will be very very popular around the neighborhood. If I end up getting that I'm going to have to get some of mist or spray machine to put in front of the players so they can feel water hitting their faces. :D

Regards,
SB

Another Microsoft Store demo. It's in HD & has Dance Central with freestyling & Kinect Sports Bowling. Guy dancing was really good. I think Dance Central will be the killer app this holiday. From what little I've seen of Kinect Sports I'm not real excited about it being included with the camera.

Tommy McClain

Updated a lot of the developers & publishers with links. Also added additional videos.

One title in particular now has some new videos: Yoostar 2. Click here to visit their web site to watch a 3 videos that they have. Couldn't find them at YouTube. It shows that you can put video of yourself in the game and it does remove the background. Can't tell if it's better than You're In The Movies, but at least it's using real popular movies to inject yourself in.

Tommy McClain

It shows that you can put video of yourself in the game and it does remove the background. Can't tell if it's better than You're In The Movies...
It's bound to be vastly superior as YITM's was rubbish! Optical background removal is tricky, whereas Kinect's 3D makes it a cinch, as long as you're standing clear of background. Interestingly this title is coming out for PS3 too, so it'll be one to compare techniques. just investingating, Yoostar 1 turns out to be a PC game with a portable green-screen!

As for the game, checking out Yoostar, it looks very bland. I can see the novelty wearing off very quickly.

Back