Kameo comparison shots

DeanoC said:
However is much more complicated with skinned animations. In a skinned animation, the matrices that determine the pose you see is encoded in the constant state. Which isn't effected by instancing at all. I.e. in other words instancing a skinned character would produce N EXACT copies just in N different places.

Provided the constant register file is large enough to hold dozens of pose datas, you can provide each instance a different offset to the constant register in the per instance data, that effectively enables you loop through the constant as you draw each instance of the character.

However is much more complicated with skinned animations. In a skinned animation, the matrices that determine the pose you see is encoded in the constant state. Which isn't effected by instancing at all. I.e. in other words instancing a skinned character would produce N EXACT copies just in N different places.

Wasn't there an ati paper on heavy instancing based on skinning the object space normalmap ?.I haven't read it ,but a co-worker just told me 2-3 things about it yesterday.

edit :found it.
http://www.ati.com/developer/shaderx/ShaderX3_DrawingACrowd.pdf

Interesting bits inside for everyone (occlusion maps for one)

Back