jupiter engine 10K

used for NOLF2. (lithtech)...anyway how long till this engine is considered obsolete...and when that happens will you be able to pick up a develop license for say $500 or so?

i've come to enjoy games of this 'era' as much or more than alot of newer titles.

or will they just pull it, so small time developers can't make chip away cheapo game niches from the overall market (eg their FEAR engine)

No idea to any of your Qs. I guess if the engine does not have the feature set you need for your game then its obsolete?

As far when a low cost version may become availble not sure if it will. ID has opened up some of the olders Quake engines under GPU.....

was quake used for halflife1? a hybrid? is it available cheaply? sorry i've only been gaming about 3 years. spose i could google for it, but hey this is sorta like that.

what good cheap engines, capable of a halflife1, NOLFish type experience are there? i suppose around a year 2000 vintage?

HL1 was based on the Q1 engine but modifed.

Not sure what other engines are around but I am sure you can search and find few that should work out!

well i found this list of engines:

http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html

gonna take a while to sift through. i didn't realize there were so many.

im thinking i could do a game maybe using an older engine, but assuming the pc running it is alot more powerful than games of that era did. (reduce loadtimes, or eliminate, provide more interactive options, puzzles)...may be interesting. may be beyond my grasp, but it'll be educational at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cartoon Corpse said:
used for NOLF2. (lithtech)...anyway how long till this engine is considered obsolete...and when that happens will you be able to pick up a develop license for say $500 or so?

http://www.touchdownentertainment.com/licensing.htm
We offer two licensing programs for Jupiter. The Developer Edition enables licensees to purchase Jupiter on a per seat basis for $10,000 per user. The Developer Edition, which includes software upgrades and technical support for two years, includes source code to each of Jupiter’s technology components. This per seat model enables licensees to make a smaller purchase initially and then buy additional software as their teams expand. With the Developer Edition license, we charge a second fee of $10,000 for product distribution.

The Enterprise Edition allows an entire team to use Jupiter on a per project basis for $50,000. The Enterprise Edition also includes source code to Jupiter's technology components and content tools. Each Jupiter Enterprise Edition licensee receives software upgrades and technical support for five years as well as a three-day training session at our office in Seattle, Washington.
You can always ask, though: mailto:sales@touchdownentertainment.com

Druga Runda said:
wasn't Q3 source released already?
Nope. Sadly, no.

vysez. yeah i found that much. (10K topic). as for contacting them..."when is your $10K dollar engince gonna be $500 dollars, i want to wait till then" wouldn't get much attention. lol.

Cartoon Corpse said:
vysez. yeah i found that much. (10K topic). as for contacting them..."when is your $10K dollar engince gonna be $500 dollars, i want to wait till then" wouldn't get much attention. lol.

Have you considered using the Torque engine put out by Garage Games? $100 US for a source ditribution as I recall. There are caveats on how you distribute the game you make with it but it sounds like it fits the bill for what you are after.

Cartoon Corpse said:
as for contacting them..."when is your $10K dollar engince gonna be $500 dollars, i want to wait till then" wouldn't get much attention. lol.
You can always ask for an evaluation version.

As banksie pointed out you still have the Torque Engine solution:
http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=1
Note that it's a DX6 class type of engine.

Or the Power Render:
http://www.powerrender.com/2005/homepage.htm

Or ask Humus if you can test his engine.;-)

banksie said:
Have you considered using the Torque engine put out by Garage Games? $100 US for a source ditribution as I recall. There are caveats on how you distribute the game you make with it but it sounds like it fits the bill for what you are after.

thanks i'll check it out. are there some games around where i can see it in action?

i think it'll be a neat experiment to see what kinds of goodness one can get from these older engines, given your rig is way beyond the specs of the rigs it was written for.

If it's anything like the old Copperhead and Talon stuff, once it's obsoleted, it'll likely just disappear and be replaced by FEAR. In my experience, Lithtech Jupiter isn't too bad of an engine for formulaic projects. Just beware that out of the box, its throughput is pretty lousy (a move to indexed trilists could probably double it). While I did that myself, I only did that much later on my own machine, so I have no baseline against modern GPU hardware.

BTW, the newest version of Torque is DX9 at last, and doesn't look too bad, though I haven't actually seen anything other than the demos. The old Torque is DX7 (GL, really, but it has a translation backend for DX7), and my biggest problem with it (aside from the complete LACK of polygon batching) is just the art pipeline, which was full of hassles.

Why not just make a mod? That way you got your very recent engine (how about source engine of HL2?), got lots of resources to use, have tried and tested tools. And it's all free!

Mendel said:
Why not just make a mod? That way you got your very recent engine (how about source engine of HL2?), got lots of resources to use, have tried and tested tools. And it's all free!

i dunno, something about modding seems creatively limiting. besides, depending on how initial ideas/concepts work out, it may become slightly commercial (so need a license)...it's good to dream. i don't need anymore lawsuits against huge corps. (at&t)

and i'm thinking i may be able to squeeze something new out of an older engine assuming it's running on a more powerful basic rig than it was written to accomadate.

and of course the cheapness, which is required.

funny i have sound mixing/effects/recording equip. (ex musician)....rig to dev on. dev skill (generic) (job in IT), ideas i think may be novel, creativity (used to draw alot), even blueprints (dad, gdad were architects to help with bldgs), im a batchelor (so no one to bitch at me no matter how much time i spend on it)

so i have this pile of situation, why not try to make a 'cake'?

thanks i've saved the link for later. i don't want anything new and wizbang that milks a new box. at least till i utterly fail at my 'idea' with an older engine on an assumed nice rig. something that would be used to generate a game circa 1999 or 2000 i guess.

i confess i really like some of the textures in those games (campy?) than i do the slick stuff in newer games. maybe im starting to fossilize.

you might look into amp II. it has a solid feature set and it's cheap, but i can't speak for the dev tools since i've never used it.
http://www.4drulers.com/amp.html

what type of game are you looking to make? a FPS in the vein of NOLF might be easier on one engine than another, for example.

it would be an FPSish...(little RPGish too) i suppose. i enjoy a mix of puzzles, multiple paths, hidden benefits, a variety of locales (and not the same ol ive been seeing), humor along a douglas adams vein (if possible), groovy (not pop or rock or hiphop) music., i also appreciate the 'capabilities' i've learned through playing, to be reliable (if i can jump on that thing there (or smash or move or throw, etc), i can jump on this thing here (not just because it's part of the game, but even when it makes no sense whatsoever)

puzzles would be mixes of site gags and optical (though not cheap tactics) illusions.

anyway i have a list of priorities that seem to be hit or miss in most games today.

moreso than im getting in todays games.

I really dont see any reason why you shouldnt just make a mod using an engine like Source.

I dont see how you would be held back in anyway, and in all honesty I really dont think you'd be selling this to the point where you'd be making a lot of money. And it really sounds like you're just learning and may not want to try starting out so big.

Back