Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Can we start a new thread next week please ? Because more than 500 posts here already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we start a new thread newr week please ? Because more than 500 posts here already.

Actually I personally would prefer a single thread than having gazillion seperate threads every week. It's just more organized that way.

Yes SONY's last generation console is back...at least for one week. I predict they'll get clobbered next week just like all the other previous weeks.

It's never a great idea to take the top 20 sales as an indication of platform sales as a whole. If the DS gets 100 great games and sales are distributed among them equally, and the PS2 gets 20 and they are distributed likewise, it will take the DS 5x the sales to own the top 20. Now that's obviously just an example. In this case you'll see that fewer good PS2 titles are released, but when they are then they can still get very good sales. But in terms of total sales during that month, you'll see much less of a difference. This is like the one PS2 game last week (or before, not sure) that sold as many as all the other titles together, even if there was only one other PS2 game in the list (400k). This month, the best selling title is only doing 75k ...

Actually I personally would prefer a single thread than having gazillion seperate threads every week. It's just more organized that way.

Thanks Stefan! :p

We should probably start an NPD thread as March's NPD is almost out (5-6 days or so)

I think we're probably good with the standalone NPD threads since they're monthly; Media Createis weekly so whenever this thread gets bumped, I basically know that it's the latest 'snapshot' of the action.

Is it me, or do people in Japan buy the DS just for the sake of it being the DS? The success of the DS on a per capita basic is the strongest of any console in history in Japan. How long can such a run be sustained? It clearly must end soon since they're running out of people to sell them to.

Is it me, or do people in Japan buy the DS just for the sake of it being the DS? The success of the DS on a per capita basic is the strongest of any console in history in Japan. How long can such a run be sustained? It clearly must end soon since they're running out of people to sell them to.

That is the beauty of a handheld it can sell to everyone in the family. Instead of 1 console a family might have 2-4 hand held systems 1 for each child and maybe 1 for parental unit. I think the limit is about 40-60 million in japan or 2-3 times the PS2 if the craze lasts. The DS is a money printing press for nintendo.

Wow is the PS3 really sinking getting closer each week to sub 10k. I wonder how many units nintendo could see of the Wii and DS if they were not supply constrained.

Could only get worst for the next few months... like the Wii increasing while the PS3 drops to 10k or below. That's if you go by the software release schedule posted at gaf for the 2 consoles. The Wii has some good Japanese titles, while the PS3's list looks xbox-ish.

[Lists ripped from gaf]

Upcoming for PS3:

04/26 Madden NFL 07 (English Version)
05/24 NBA Street Homecourt
06/07 FolkSoul: Ushinawareta Denshou
06/14 Call of Duty 3
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
06/28 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas

Upcoming Wii:

4/19
Super Paper Mario (Nintendo)
Furu-Furu Park (Taito)

4/26
Wii Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)
The Dog Island: The Tale of One Flower (Yuke's)
One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Bandai-Namco)

5/17 Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Interchannel-Holon)
Case Closed! Memory's Mirage (Marvelous Interactive)

5/24 Jissen Pachislo-Pachinko Hisshou-hou! Sammy's Collection: Fist of the North Star Wii (Sega)

5/31 Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Capcom)
6/7 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Walt Disney Japan)
6/14 Negima!? Neo Pactio Fight!! (Marvelous Interactive)
6/21 Hajime no Ippo: Revolution (AQ Interactive)
6/28 DK Bongo Blast (Nintendo)

Both FolkSoul and Ninja Gaiden Sigma I am very much looking forward to! June is going to be a good month.

The Wii line up on the hand, there is not a single game on that list that I even want to see screenshots of, much less play.

Seems you are as representative of the japan market that beyond is to HD market :p

Back