Japan Sales Thread *renamed

Looks like sales overall are slumping but given Wii's decline over the past few weeks you'd think I'd be able to find one in the store. :devilish:

I didn't think sales would be falling this rapidly. Is this typical in Japan?

Alledgedly, the Nintendo console sales in Japan mostly fluctuate with supply, aka they're always sold out so sales just depend on how many are shipped each week. As you see, DS dropped 50k from week prior, which probably isn't an issue with demand dropping that fast but rather supply. Same principle for Wii, supposedly.

Well, at least that's what GAF claims. I dont live in Japan so I cant say.

Well Japan is also the only area where PS2 is behind both WII and PS3. I think PS2 can still sell more than "nextgen" until this fall in Europe.
They're definitely more about the "newer and better" and embracing it quickly. They pretty much tossed the GBA out the window after the DS came on the scene, while the GBA still sells much better in other areas. I assume the GBA and PS2 being the de-facto "kid's machines" (simpler, cheaper, bigger collections of titles [which are cheaper themselves], still getting all the kid-movie-licensed games...) out in NA still helps right now, while Japan's kids seem to be much luckier. ;)

They're definitely more about the "newer and better" and embracing it quickly.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you look at it. Certainly, they seem a lot more budget restrained than, say, a place like the UK where a large group exists that buys most of the stuff as soon as they can (though that's usually later than Japan, obviously)

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how you look at it. Certainly, they seem a lot more budget restrained than, say, a place like the UK where a large group exists that buys most of the stuff as soon as they can (though that's usually later than Japan, obviously)
I would say his arguments sound more reasonable... that "newer & better" is a major factor. If budget was more of a factor, they wouldn't have abandoned GBA (cheap), and PS2 (cheap) so quickly.

Looks like sales overall are slumping but given Wii's decline over the past few weeks you'd think I'd be able to find one in the store. :devilish:

There hasn't been a decline over the last few weeks.

As always Wii sales numbers are fluctuating based on availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite surprised about the strong PSP sales. I wonder if it is only Monster Hunter that is responsible or if there are other reasons as well.........

Strong psp sales ? While the PSP is not a failure by any mean, the DS is selling three time more and totally dominate the Handled market. It just shows for a lot of japaneses next gen means handled and mobility/freedom I guess.

DS does not totally dominate the market, it has 2/3 of market share.

360 has been outsold by the Wii, but that doesnt mean that sales have not been relatively strong.

360 has been outsold by the Wii, but that doesnt mean that sales have not been relatively strong.

The PSP hardware has always sold good. It is the software were it is getting its head kicked in mostly. Going by software sales which I think is the most important thing the DS is completely dominate. The DS has been crushing everything including consoles in software sales for a long time.

What is 66% of market share, if not dominance? DS has both market and mind share; I'd like to know what other classification other than dominant we could use this regard.

Strong psp sales ? While the PSP is not a failure by any mean, the DS is selling three time more and totally dominate the Handled market.
That doesn't mean PSP hasn't got strong sales - only that it's not the strongest seller. Even though Phil Pfister scored twice as many points as Terry Hollands in the World's Strongest Man competition, you'd be a moron to say Terry wasn't strong! Compare PSP's sales to all the platforms, across the ages, to get a comparison with the norm rather than the best-case. It's not doing badly. It's outsold GC in half the time and has a very viable install base to attract content. It's a healthy platform. DS is a runaway success, but PSP is still doing well.

That doesn't mean PSP hasn't got strong sales - only that it's not the strongest seller. Even though Phil Pfister scored twice as many points as Terry Hollands in the World's Strongest Man competition, you'd be a moron to say Terry wasn't strong! Compare PSP's sales to all the platforms, across the ages, to get a comparison with the norm rather than the best-case. It's not doing badly. It's outsold GC in half the time and has a very viable install base to attract content. It's a healthy platform. DS is a runaway success, but PSP is still doing well.

I don't think that's right either. I can see what you're saying, but you're making cross-market comparisons between stationary consoles and handhelds, and it's not a valid comparison IMO. I don't think the PSP is doing badly, but I also don't think it's doing well. I think we need to define what strong sales means. To me, strong sales means the product in question is selling within about 20% of the market leader, or it is selling comparably to the victor last time round. In some regions, it seems PSP is close to that, in others, it's not close at all.

To me, strong sales means the product in question is selling within about 20% of the market leader...
Then by your definition PSP is strong. It's about half DS's numbers worldwide (20 M versus DS's 40 M) and 33% of DS sales in Japan (5M vs. 16 M). It has 33% of the worldwide market, and 25% of the Japan market. Ignoring other handhelds anyway. Otherwise DS is weak, because there's way more mobile phones out there than DSes! Compared to most handhelds which just die, PSP is doing incredibly well.

My post was mainly because I was suprised by the post before mine. When I read the chart, my reaction is not wow strong psp sales but lol nintendo is still unable to have enough shipments week after week.

Then by your definition PSP is strong. It's about half DS's numbers worldwide (20 M versus DS's 40 M) and 33% of DS sales in Japan (5M vs. 16 M). It has 33% of the worldwide market, and 25% of the Japan market. Ignoring other handhelds anyway. Otherwise DS is weak, because there's way more mobile phones out there than DSes! Compared to most handhelds which just die, PSP is doing incredibly well.

How do you work that one out? within 20% of the leader would mean 80% of DS's sales, which as you say, it isn't doing. As for DS compared to mobile phones, we might as well start comparing consoles to digiboxes, since they play games too. The primary use of a phone, the NGage aside, is non-gaming activities.

How do you work that one out? within 20% of the leader would mean 80% of DS's sales.
Sorry, thought you meant 20% of the leader's sales, rather than 80% or more.

I'll disagree with your view of strong, but that's just difference of opinion. PSP has a robust market, growth of sales, constant development, and has eclipsed sales of all other handheld consoles other than Nintendo's. Furthermore, traditionally handheld sales have been behind console sales. It's only Nintendo who can claim to have surpassed home consoles with handhelds, so they hardly represent the norm. And further to that, PSP isn't just a handheld console, so is actually performing in a different market with a different market base. Compare it also to handheld video players and see how it's doing.

The way I see it, comparing handhelds to cars, the average handheld ranges from Fiat 500 to a modern Super Mini (dead slow/slow); PSP is a Merc SLK (fast); and Nintendo produce super cars (super fast). PSP is thus a strong seller going by the standard, ora weak seller going by the best. Comparing a product's strength solely to the best performer's doesn't strike me as sensible...but that's just my opinion.

Sorry, thought you meant 20% of the leader's sales, rather than 80% or more.

No i'm sorry, I can see how it could be read that way now.

I'll disagree with your view of strong, but that's just difference of opinion. PSP has a robust market, growth of sales, constant development, and has eclipsed sales of all other handheld consoles other than Nintendo's. Furthermore, traditionally handheld sales have been behind console sales. It's only Nintendo who can claim to have surpassed home consoles with handhelds, so they hardly represent the norm. And further to that, PSP isn't just a handheld console, so is actually performing in a different market with a different market base. Compare it also to handheld video players and see how it's doing.

Yeah I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. Don't get me wrong btw, I don't think the sales of PSP are bad, far from it, they're good by a number of measures as you point out, but in terms of raw sales, I don't consider it to be strong. Impressive given it's not a Nintendo, but not strong.

The way I see it, comparing handhelds to cars, the average handheld ranges from Fiat 500 to a modern Super Mini (dead slow/slow); PSP is a Merc SLK (fast); and Nintendo produce super cars (super fast). PSP is thus a strong seller going by the standard, ora weak seller going by the best. Comparing a product's strength solely to the best performer's doesn't strike me as sensible...but that's just my opinion.

In most markets I would agree with you, but can you name me a handheld other than a nintendo that isn't considered a failure? I can really only think of one that wasn't a total catastrophe, and that is the Gamegear, but that came out over a decade ago, the market is totally different now. So I suppose what i'm saying is there IS no standard, other than the Nintendo standard.

Media Create Sales

TOP10

01./00. [PS2] Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator (Bandai-Namco) - 75,453 / NEW
02./00. [PSP] Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable (Bandai-Namco) - 58,751 / NEW
03./05. [NDS] Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo) - 47,566 / 629,459
04./07. [PS2] Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (Konami) - 40,891 / 82,052
05./02. [PS2] Musou Orochi (Koei) - 36,168 / 515,803
06./03. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo) - 34,933 / 84,645
07./09. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 30,807 / 1,315,931
08./00. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 2 (Konami) - 29,944 / NEW
09./01. [PS2] Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Square-Enix) - 29,638 / 202,850
10./12. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (Level 5) - 27,833 / 392,135

Sony is back.

Yes SONY's last generation console is back...at least for one week. I predict they'll get clobbered next week just like all the other previous weeks.

Back