Japan Sales Thread *renamed

However, very, very few people will buy an item for $250 that they did not plan to buy when they entered the store unless they run into an exceptional salesman. $250 is high enough that most people will have to budget for it and aren't going to buy it just because the box catches their eye on the way to the underwear aisle. But it's low enough that people who don't make video gaming the center of their lives will consider it, i.e. "mainstream."

It's all about the amount of cash you can afford to waste per month. If the purchase falls within the 'if I pay this amount this month without running a debt for next month', you can buy it on a whim. If it requires more than one month of 'money-you-can-throw-away-on-whatever', then it ceases to be an impulse buy. i suspect that there's a fair amount of interesting consumers for whom that monthly amount lies between the $250-$500 range. But if you wanted to be more precise, you could probably predict where the impulse buy range is for each person based on their spendable income brackets, and even link them to periodical bonusses to explain sales peaks.

Quote:
1. Nintendo DS Lite - 136.128
2. PlayStation Portable - 100.210
3. Wii - 78.506
4. PlayStation 3 - 19.315
5. PlayStation 2 - 15.054
6. Xbox 360 - 4.183
7. Game Boy Advance SP - 1.035
8. Game Boy Micro - 907
9. GameCube - 323
10. Nintendo DS - 132
11. Game Boy Advance - 59

PSP...thanks to MH2. :oops:

Media Create

01. (PS3, Bandai-Namco) Gundam Musou - 170,725 / NEW
02. (NDS, Banpresto) Super Robot Wars W - 139,311 / NEW
03. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 137,851 / 843,132
04. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 39,639 / 1,130,376
05. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 33,957 / 220,673
06. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Play - 31,702 / 976,288
07. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Iron Left Brain: Mistake Museum 2 - 28,495 / NEW
08. (NDS, Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 27,236 / 1,201,812
09. (NDS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 24,545 / 4,193,532
10. (NDS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 22,854 / 4,039,850

11. (NDS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World
12. (NDS, Nintendo) Picross DS
13. (WII, Nintendo) Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn
14. (NDS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS
15. (NDS, Marvelous Interactive) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
16. (NDS, Nintendo) Hotel Dusk: Room 215
17. (NDS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training
18. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: Master of Disguise
19. (NDS, Nintendo) Brain Age
20. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Diamond
21. (NDS, EA) SimCity DS
22. (WII, Takara-Tomy) Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX
23. (WII, Nintendo) Wario Ware Smooth Moves
24. (PS2, Alchemist) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
25. (NDS, Nintendo) English Training
26. (NDS, Konami) Death Note
27. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Pearl
28. (NDS, IE Institute) Kanji Brain Test 2M
29. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Heisei Board of Education DS
30. (NDS, Sega) Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem

NDS - 22
WII - 5
PS2 - 1
PSP - 1
PS3 - 1

Proof of at least 170k PS3s in the hands of Japanese consumers :cool:
-or-
Japanese PS3 software attach rates just tripled :devilish:
-or-
The PS2 is dead in Japan.

DSL userbase is potentially earth shattering.

It has the same if not greater acceptance that PS2 had amongst the mainstream back in 2000-2004. However the PS2 only required 1 console per household to satisfy an entire family. Take an average family of 2 parents and 2 kids, each person potentially wants a DSL…extrapolate that based on PS2 LTD and voila…. you’re looking at >40mn systems in potential sales in one territory alone. This is before you talk about crazy people owning multiple colours...

Rather high sales for the PS3 infact almost rivaling the Wii. Is there any reason associated with sales of 44k this week compared to about 20k any other week.

None the less good news for Sony.

DSL userbase is potentially earth shattering.

It has the same if not greater acceptance that PS2 had amongst the mainstream back in 2000-2004. However the PS2 only required 1 console per household to satisfy an entire family. Take an average family of 2 parents and 2 kids, each person potentially wants a DSL…extrapolate that based on PS2 LTD and voila…. you’re looking at >40mn systems in potential sales in one territory alone. This is before you talk about crazy people owning multiple colours...

But the four of them will surely not buy four copies of each game? Install base is meaningless before multiplied by the attach rate.

Yeah, but what did they rate the other one? ;) I'm not sure I trust their ratings on Bandai games. They may feel some kind of obligation. Hehe...

Which is a possiblity although who really knows. Was it Famitsu that stated they factor rated games consumer popularity into the review??

But the four of them will surely not buy four copies of each game? Install base is meaningless before multiplied by the attach rate.

We have multiple DSes in my household (3 DS Lites, 3 DS Fat, my daughter upgraded yesterday), and we all play different games. While there are multiple copies of some games, we are generally each playing our own stuff. For example my wife has the "42 classical games" cartridge, but not Metroid Hunters, and I've the opposite. We have two copies of Mario and Animal Crossing, though.

I would say that for the DS the installed user base is still a very significant factor, but one that needs to be adjusted by the target population for a given game.

It's a Mosou game (like Dinasty Warriors) if you like them you will like Gundam Mosou.
Thanks for the review link. I'm unlikely to look it up for a while ANYway, (lacking the console and all)
but I'm interested in seeing what's what.

Meanwhile, I've liked other genres that Gundam games have been a part of, so it's not really a reflection of the style of game, but whatever Bandai units develop them.

I have similar premonitions whenever I see Takara attached to something.

My Children Of Mana game saves are precious to me, I will not share them with anyone!
Seriously though, thinking about ... Advance Wars DS or Mario Kart, with extensive tracking, trophies, records etc, it may actually be true.

Back