Japan Sales Thread *renamed

For comparison, VF4 sold 367k in the first week Japan according to vgcharts. I'm guessing the publisher wish they had stayed with the PS2. They would have gotten PS2 owners, and PS3 owners (due to the lack of competition from PS3 games).

That would require a major downgrade though since VF5 uses a more powerful arcade board than VF4. I also think VF4 sold well on PS2 because of the very large install base when it was released. Anyway I would have expected at least 60K copies of VF5 on 1st day.

For comparison, VF4 sold 367k in the first week Japan according to vgcharts. I'm guessing the publisher wish they had stayed with the PS2. They would have gotten PS2 owners, and PS3 owners (due to the lack of competition from PS3 games).

There were several million PS2's bought by the time VF4 came out...

January NPD Sales.

Anyone knows when are coming out....?

Anyone knows when are coming out....?

Well December's got posted on this site on the 11th last month, which would mean tomorrow would be the day, but it's a weekend, so i assume it'll be Monday morning some time. I for one am very interested to hear how PS3 and Wii have sold.

Japanese Chart for Week Ending 11th February 2007

Pos Console Name Publisher Week Weekly Total
1 Virtua Fighter 5 Sega 1 49,500 49,500
2 Wii Sports Nintendo 11 47,750 1,035,250
3 Pokemon Diamond / Pearl Nintendo 20 36,250 4,896,750
4 Wii Play Nintendo 11 34,250 894,000
5 Brain Training 2 Nintendo 59 32,000 4,281,250
6 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Capcom 3 30,750 301,250
7 New Super Mario Bros Nintendo 38 30,000 4,310,250
8 Luminous Arc Marvelus 1 28,500 28,500
9 Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On Marvelus 2 27,500 108,500
10 Common Knowledge Training Nintendo 16 26,500 1,257,750
11 Lets Make a J-League Pro Soccer Club 5 Sega 2 26,250 134,500
12 Animal Crossing: Wild World Nintendo 64 25,500 4,164,750
13 Mario Kart DS Nintendo 62 20,250 2,146,000
14 Brain Training Nintendo 91 18,000 3,398,500
15 English Training for Adults Nintendo 55 17,000 1,832,750

Hardware: Console Week Weekly Total

DS 115 167,500 (+3%) 15,197,750
WII 11 71,750 (-2%) 1,587,000
PSP 114 31,500 (-8%) 5,067,750
PS3 14 28,750 (+42%) 672,250
XBOX360 62 5,250 (-13%) 345,500

http://www.vgcharts.org/japweekly.php

I think Nintendo is sealing it in Japan for next gen. It's still holding a ~2.5:1 over the PS3 (360 already dead).

I think Nintendo is sealing it in Japan for next gen. It's still holding a ~2.5:1 over the PS3 (360 already dead).

I think, though, you can genuinely ask whether or not Nintendo can be considered Next-Gen in the same way as the Playstation 3 or 360 is. Not that easy to call. We'll see. The Wii is very likely to own Japan the next two years, but after that, we'll see.

Most important factor in all this right now, as with the DS, seems to be Nintendo as a publisher. Right now they seem to really have nailed the taste of the Japanese to a T (not to mention doing really well globally), and as long as they can keep it up, their hardware will prosper as a result. But by virtue of the different launch prices, hardware offered and so on, I don't feel that we can compare these three consoles in a meaningful way anymore.

Japanese Chart for Week Ending 11th February 2007

Hardware: Console Week Weekly Total

PS3 14 28,750 (+42%) 672,250

http://www.vgcharts.org/japweekly.php

I don't know where VGcharts.org got that chart (I don't think its Mediacreate), but they've modified it since you posted it. Only the PS3 data has been changed, it now reads:

PS3 14 24,750 (+22%) 668,250

I think, though, you can genuinely ask whether or not Nintendo can be considered Next-Gen in the same way as the Playstation 3 or 360 is. Not that easy to call. We'll see. The Wii is very likely to own Japan the next two years, but after that, we'll see.

Most important factor in all this right now, as with the DS, seems to be Nintendo as a publisher. Right now they seem to really have nailed the taste of the Japanese to a T (not to mention doing really well globally), and as long as they can keep it up, their hardware will prosper as a result. But by virtue of the different launch prices, hardware offered and so on, I don't feel that we can compare these three consoles in a meaningful way anymore.

As long as all consoles are selling into the same space they are competing for everything from the same dollar pool to the same shelf space to mindshare. I don't think Japan is rejecting hi-powered consoles or "common" consoles. They are rejecting hi-price. Xbox has it's own issues so I would not consider it a competitor in that region.

Biggest problem I see for ps3 there is mindshare.

The franchises likely will come and the price likely will drop but will it happen soon enough in Japan to alter the landscape? I don't think so. Japan historically has not wavered in support. They get behind one console/handheld and rally hard behind it leaving others as niche products. Consider also that ps1/ps2 titles in Japan for the most part did not rely on hi-powered graphics. They leaned more toward concept than graphics. This plays right into the hands of what Wii does well. It opens whole new concepts and categories to be created while at the same time it is affordable enough to be adopted as quickly as it's popularity grows.

Big hitting franchises may save ps3 there, but they may be coming so late that publishers rethink their strategy and release them on Wii first or at/near the same time. If the Wii releases of these established heavy hitters do not lag to far behind their ps3 counterparts, I predict a very lopsided victory in Japan.

How long until Sega ports VirtuaFighter4 to Wii?

Oh come on, please not the "I dont know if wii is next gen'' comment. That is something you find on gaming forums and I hoped not the read it here. Next gen is nothing more than a word to describe the next generation, there isnt some magical rule that states something about performance or whatever before you can call it next gen. Wii is next gen simpley because its nintendo's next console.

And if nintendo is to own Japan for the next 2 years you can bet on it its going to be like that for the rest of the generation. You wont suddenly see a change because thats just impossible. Its the chicken -> egg story. Sell alot of consoles -> more games -> sell more consoles -> more games etc.

But by virtue of the different launch prices, hardware offered and so on, I don't feel that we can compare these three consoles in a meaningful way anymore.

Ofcourse you can, by sales. What sells well is what the people want. Besides that the ps3 and x360 pretty much offer the same thing for the average joe.

Oh come on, please not the "I dont know if wii is next gen'' comment. That is something you find on gaming forums and I hoped not the read it here. Next gen is nothing more than a word to describe the next generation, there isnt some magical rule that states something about performance or whatever before you can call it next gen. Wii is next gen simpley because its nintendo's next console.

Well, all I'm getting at is that the systems are so different now that claiming they are in direct competition is understating the increased complexity of analysing the market under these new circumstances.

Previously, the Xbox, PS2 and GameCube were very clearly targeting the same markets, had very similar specifications, and nearly all could in theory run every game developed for the other system. Sure the GameCube had some space limitations on disc and in online support, and the PS2 was a bit sluggish in performance here and there, and the Xbox had its DirectX and driver support limitations (and similarly each had their own plusses, like the latter day's GC's price advantage, the Xbox's online support, and the PS2s PS1 compatibility, to name a few). But the differences, when it came down to it, weren't all that big.

However,

And if nintendo is to own Japan for the next 2 years you can bet on it its going to be like that for the rest of the generation. You wont suddenly see a change because thats just impossible. Its the chicken -> egg story. Sell alot of consoles -> more games -> sell more consoles -> more games etc.

How do you know, really? It's the first time that I can remember that a games console has been released that was such a small step up from the previous generation. It's the first time since, well, forever, that we get a major improvement in the capacity of TV displays. Who knows Microsoft releases a new controller that is even better than the Wii-mote in two years, or the PS3's sixaxis turns out to be quite good at playing Tekken Bowl, or whatever. Once the PS3 is in a different pricerange and becomes as much of an impulse buy as the Wii is right now, then suddenly we have a very complete device that can do a lot of things rather well, including games. Who knows online takes off in Japan and downloadable games for the PS3 become all the rage, or Live suddenly strikes a chord and becomes the new hot thing in Japan.

This is a tough time for predictions.

Ofcourse you can, by sales. What sells well is what the people want. Besides that the ps3 and x360 pretty much offer the same thing for the average joe.

But if you talk about sales, do you then look at revenue, or units? Etc. And by the way, no they don't. I'm ready to argue that the PS3 and 360 are actually still more different from each other than the GameCube, Xbox, or PS2 ever were.

Once the PS3 is in a different pricerange and becomes as much of an impulse buy as the Wii is right now, then suddenly we have a very complete device that can do a lot of things rather well, including games.

I swear that particular Sony PR Talking Point ("the Wii is an impulse buy") will never die. A book is an impulse buy. A meal at Mc Donald's is an impulse buy. A $50 video game may be an impulse buy, but it's starting to stretch the definition. A $250 game console that you still have to preorder and/or make a several hours queue to get is definitely not an "impulse buy". I think the definition you are looking for is "not priced ridiculously out of the mainstream".

Well, all I'm getting at is that the systems are so different now that claiming they are in direct competition is understating the increased complexity of analysing the market under these new circumstances.

I understand that but in the end it are still gaming consoles and its likely that one can only spend his money on one of the three.

How do you know, really? It's the first time that I can remember that a games console has been released that was such a small step up from the previous generation. It's the first time since, well, forever, that we get a major improvement in the capacity of TV displays.

True, but that isnt gonna make any differance anymore after 2 years. If people really only cared about ubergfx and having the latest and greatest the Wii would have been a instant flop. It wont flop after 2 years when they sold 20.000.000 consoles or so. The market just wont suddenly make a 180 degree turn.

Who knows Microsoft releases a new controller that is even better than the Wii-mote in two years

Since it didnt come standard with every console it wont be as accepted as the wiimote even if its better.

Once the PS3 is in a different pricerange and becomes as much of an impulse buy as the Wii is right now, then suddenly we have a very complete device that can do a lot of things rather well, including games.

And when will the ps3 be down to 150 - 250euro? in 5 to 3 years? thats way to late to be making a big impact.

But if you talk about sales, do you then look at revenue, or units? Etc. And by the way, no they don't. I'm ready to argue that the PS3 and 360 are actually still more different from each other than the GameCube, Xbox, or PS2 ever were.

The x360 and ps3 offer the same. Both next gen gfx/ai/physics. Both online. Both downloadable games, both half assed media options. The only thing the ps3 has standard the xbox doesnt have is a br player. Next to no difference when it comes down to gaming.

I understand that but in the end it are still gaming consoles and its likely that one can only spend his money on one of the three.

True, but that isnt gonna make any differance anymore after 2 years. If people really only cared about ubergfx and having the latest and greatest the Wii would have been a instant flop. It wont flop after 2 years when they sold 20.000.000 consoles or so. The market just wont suddenly make a 180 degree turn.

Since it didnt come standard with every console it wont be as accepted as the wiimote even if its better.

And when will the ps3 be down to 150 - 250euro? in 5 to 3 years? thats way to late to be making a big impact.

The x360 and ps3 offer the same. Both next gen gfx/ai/physics. Both online. Both downloadable games, both half assed media options. The only thing the ps3 has standard the xbox doesnt have is a br player. Next to no difference when it comes down to gaming.

I doubt you'll see PS3 Standard @ 200 before 2010/xbox #3

I swear that particular Sony PR Talking Point ("the Wii is an impulse buy") will never die. A book is an impulse buy. A meal at Mc Donald's is an impulse buy. A $50 video game may be an impulse buy, but it's starting to stretch the definition. A $250 game console that you still have to preorder and/or make a several hours queue to get is definitely not an "impulse buy". I think the definition you are looking for is "not priced ridiculously out of the mainstream".

Fair enough. Not priced ridiculously out of the mainstream then. But the talking point won't die because it's a fact. A lot of people can cough up $250, but anything from $500 upwards makes people swallow rather hard at least a couple of times.

I'll give you though that right now it seems that the Wii and DS really reflect well on each other and they both have found their markets. More credit, there, to the Wii, as the DS had it all to lose - the Wii is doing the real gaining here. No matter which console will sell the best over a period of 5 years, Nintendo looks like it has another success on its hands. Even if they 'only' dominate the next 2 years, that will be more than enough for them to make a healthy profit, even on the hardware alone.

Back