Is there something horribly wrong with this TV?

50" is NICE :) (I bought the Panny. Wanted the $4k Pioneer but controlled myself :))

See if the guy(s) at hdtvtest.co.uk have reviewed it (along with anyone else you can Google up) and comparable Pana and Pio models. They have pretty good reviews.

My first and wholly unsubstantiated suspicion (at least WRT the current models, I've only gotten up close and personal with a S4253, and the shadows can get murky or green and purply, but it's possible that can depend on the source) would be its detail in dark scenes may still not be up to par with Panasonic (Pioneer still being the gold star), but maybe Samsung's improved with the latest gen. I forget why I have this link, but Tuesday's post says a 1080p 50" Panasonic is about the same price. I'd Google up some reviews on both.

Are the sometimes suspect darks on that S4253 "horribly wrong?" Probably not. It still looks great with sports and most things. Me, having read the reviews and seen the store samples, I'd hold out or drop down in size/res for one of the new Pioneer Kuros, but not everyone's that, um, picky.

If you don't trust plasmas you must not have trusted CRTs! :)
1080p is visible quite clearly at 6-8 feet distance.

Back