Is Crysis max'd out the benchmark for Xbox3 and PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I completly disagree, not even with good artwork and faked effects will they be able to come close

OMG ? Crysis doesn't fake ?!!
Are you sure?

i tell you crysis is much less impressive once you start diging into the editor ,looking at the features .

As i said ,for me the most impressive in Crysis is the editor ,as a package (and this has a cost on how the engine is running ,performance wise).
Lighting is cool ,too (I'm talking about the outside "global" lighting) and with an impressively long atmospheric parameters list ,but nobody would even see 1/10 of it's complexity anyway even in SS comparison ,if you'd go for a much simpler approach.

Sorry, a bit OT but...

Dual core @3.2Ghz.
7800 GTX.
1 Gig of Ram.

Would that sort of system allow Crysis to run at decent settings? Would it do it justice?

Rangers vid is the straw that broke the camels back. :(

Medium settings and low res (say 1280x800) are the best you can expect. Even then the game won't be fully smooth. Its definatly a system hog!

After seeing that vid Rangers posted i'm soorely tempted to wait until there is more powerful hardware available. It looks just so incredibly amazing that I would hate to play through the game and miss out on all that!

i tell you crysis is much less impressive once you start diging into the editor ,looking at the features .

Still leaps and bounds above anything else on the market or scheduled to be released. And well yes most effects are faking reality, atleast I don't get to see pre-baked shadows, massively aggresive LOD and instead is served incredible graphics in a huge scope, in a free roaming "sandbox". With everything that makes other games special served in one single game (almost all features to be fair)! :)

I was just thinking about Far Cry and how it looks today... from my own PC... kooo! Aged with pride! :LOL:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Small4.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Small1.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Small3.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/Small2.jpg

it is also about the massive effects!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisSET12.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisSET13.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisSET14.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisMPeditor1.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisMPeditor3.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisMPeditor4.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisMPeditor5.jpg

It is all the stuff combined that makes it stand out so great!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CryEditor4.jpg

And then to change settings to adapt to PC hardware over-time, especially at high-res with such an insane amount of particles!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisEXP1-1.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisEXP3.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisEXP4.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/CrysisEXP5.jpg

A game and engine that will age with pride just like the Far Cry engine and game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such a dumb topic! Unless Sony and MS pull a Nintendo, how can you possibly believe that things won't improve? Crysis does some very good things, but it's far from the best in everything, and far from perfect such that another 4+ years of technological research and progress won't be able to improve massively on. eg. The animation is poor. Soldiers are wooden, and when the guy's throat is grabbed he turns into a statue until a rough transition into ragdoll mode when thrown. Current-gen console games already offer better animation. Going forward, procedural animation (behavioural physics) will be a zillion times better, and we're set to get that in upcoming current-gen console games, let alone 4 years time. Lighting is also primitive by future standards. There may be some progress with real-ish dynamic GI this gen (KZ2 is making promise here but it hasn't been shown convincingly to my liking yet), but there'll certainly be real indirect illumination next-gen. Material tech is also very standard in Crysis. Compare shooting up those concrete pillars (no effect!) to shooting up pillars made of something like digital molecular matter that gets ripped to pieces. DMM will be present in Lucas Arts upcoming titles, and will represent a marked improvement over Crysis in that respect.

These new, far better technologies will be available starting this gen. They'll certainly be available to next-gen hardware, consoles and PCs alike. This gen won't be able to accommodate the resource-devouring solutions of Crysis like the very high res shadows or textures (next gen procedural content may solve this if this gen doesn't), or the very plentiful foliage, but the core technologies of Crysis aren't the be all and end all of this generation of hardware, let alone next-gen! A lot of the impressive look to Crysis is actually artistry, like GT has managed on PlayStation. Without being technically more demanding that other racers, Polyphony have managed to look far better. That intro into Crysis with the sniper rifle was very artistic. The motion was natural; the nearby branches reacted accordingly; the DOF and optical effects looked convincing - but it wasn't anything technically beyond other engines or system. It was just that CryTek pulled it together into a great look. In other areas Crysis looks very normal.

If we consider ourselves to be in the second year of teh generation, the equivalent would be 2002 last time around; here's what the top 10 PC titles according to GameRankings were in 2002:

1. Grand Theft Auto III PC Rockstar Games 44 8.8 93.4%
2. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos PC Blizzard Entertainment 61 8.6 93.2%
3. Medal of Honor Allied Assault PC EA Games 51 8.6 90.9%
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 PC Activision 20 7.8 90.5%
5. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way PC Sierra Entertainment 45 8.5 90.5%
6. Mafia PC Gathering 50 8.6 89.8%
7. Age of Mythology PC Microsoft Game Studios 46 8.3 88.9%
8. Medieval: Total War PC Activision 44 8.2 88.8%
9. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind PC Bethesda Softworks 60 8.8 88.8%
10. Neverwinter Nights PC Atari 62 8.3 88.7%
11. Freedom Force PC Crave 39 7.9 88.6%
12. Battlefield 1942 PC EA Games 47 8.5 88.6%
13. Unreal Tournament 2003 PC Atari 46 8.4 88.0%
14. Steel Beasts PC Shrapnel Games 21 5.2 87.2%
15. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin PC Battlefront.com 21 6.9 86.9%
16. NASCAR Racing 2002 Season PC Sierra Entertainment 20 7.4 86.7%
17. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast PC LucasArts 50 8.4 85.9%
18. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin PC Eidos Interactive 35 8.2 85.7%
19. Serious Sam: The Second Encounter PC Gathering 30 7.9 84.9%
20. Dungeon Siege PC Microsoft Game Studios 65 7.7 84.8%

None of these games can make the 360/PS3 generation even sweat, no matter how much you "max them out".

So I would guess that Crysis would be doable on the 2010-2011 consoles.

As for the "at least 8 GB of memory" extrapolation...

Disco Stu said:
Did you know that disco record sales were up 400% for the year ending 1976? If these trends continues... AAY!

After seeing that vid Rangers posted i'm soorely tempted to wait until there is more powerful hardware available. It looks just so incredibly amazing that I would hate to play through the game and miss out on all that!

I know exactly what you mean (hence my original question). :)

I'm sure the gameplay is silky smooth and the story is immersive and all that other important stuff. But if I can't see it in it's full glory I'd rather sit it out & wait.

This is such a dumb topic! Unless Sony and MS pull a Nintendo, how can you possibly believe that things won't improve? Crysis does some very good things, but it's far from the best in everything, and far from perfect such that another 4+ years of technological research and progress won't be able to improve massively on. eg. The animation is poor. Soldiers are wooden, and when the guy's throat is grabbed he turns into a statue until a rough transition into ragdoll mode when thrown. Current-gen console games already offer better animation. Going forward, procedural animation (behavioural physics) will be a zillion times better, and we're set to get that in upcoming current-gen console games, let alone 4 years time. Lighting is also primitive by future standards. There may be some progress with real-ish dynamic GI this gen (KZ2 is making promise here but it hasn't been shown convincingly to my liking yet), but there'll certainly be real indirect illumination next-gen. Material tech is also very standard in Crysis. Compare shooting up those concrete pillars (no effect!) to shooting up pillars made of something like digital molecular matter that gets ripped to pieces. DMM will be present in Lucas Arts upcoming titles, and will represent a marked improvement over Crysis in that respect.

These new, far better technologies will be available starting this gen. They'll certainly be available to next-gen hardware, consoles and PCs alike. This gen won't be able to accommodate the resource-devouring solutions of Crysis like the very high res shadows or textures (next gen procedural content may solve this if this gen doesn't), or the very plentiful foliage, but the core technologies of Crysis aren't the be all and end all of this generation of hardware, let alone next-gen! A lot of the impressive look to Crysis is actually artistry, like GT has managed on PlayStation. Without being technically more demanding that other racers, Polyphony have managed to look far better. That intro into Crysis with the sniper rifle was very artistic. The motion was natural; the nearby branches reacted accordingly; the DOF and optical effects looked convincing - but it wasn't anything technically beyond other engines or system. It was just that CryTek pulled it together into a great look. In other areas Crysis looks very normal.

On very high, Crysis is a very clear step above any other game available IMO and the fact that it brings a GTX to its knees on those settings obviously shows that its at least down to its technical requirements. Its not like anyones going to be able to puill of Crysis at very high on a console just by using good artists.

No game is ever going to be above every other game in every single way, thats an unrealistic expectation but Crysis certainly comes close. I also disagree that there is any problem with the animation, looks excellent to me and I certainly don't recall playing any game/demo on my 360 that had better.

Do any of you guys have this gen consoles? I can't quite decide if this thread is PC gamers stealth-trolling the console forum, or if there is a serious contention that a 3-5 year old game will max out the next generation of consoles (and, yeah, I think it's time to stop using "next gen" re those consoles currently on sale).

Now, it is true that Crysis is kicking the PC's ass right now. However, a year (18mos, tops) from now top-end PC's will be kicking its ass handily, and 2-2.5 years from now midrange PCs will be as well. And, historically, new gen consoles launch with performance above mainstream (at least) PCs. So, to answer the question of the thread subject --no, Crysis will not be the benchmark for PS4 and XBNext.

If we consider ourselves to be in the second year of teh generation, the equivalent would be 2002 last time around; here's what the top 10 PC titles according to GameRankings were in 2002:

I don't think I agree with your reasoning there. 2002 was only 1 year into the original xbox life. Novemer 2003 represents the same position vs the xbox as the PC market is in comparison to the 360.

Of course there are still no games there that can stand up to the current gen console games however in Nov 2003, all the top games were fully playable on the hardware of the time. Crysis looks like we may have to wait another 6 months or even a year before we can max it out at high res and get a smooth framerate so it could be argued its in the same position as Farcry was (2004). Certainly in comparison to the capabilities of the comtemporary consoles it seems to be in a similar position to Farcry.

And I think Farcry stood up very well to current gen console launch titles. It can't strand up that well any more just as Crysis won't be able to stand up to next gen cnsole titles but I don't think launch titles will make it look bad, slightely dated maybe but not bad.

On very high, Crysis is a very clear step above any other game available IMO and the fact that it brings a GTX to its knees on those settings obviously shows that its at least down to its technical requirements. Its not like anyones going to be able to puill of Crysis at very high on a console just by using good artists.

No game is ever going to be above every other game in every single way, thats an unrealistic expectation but Crysis certainly comes close. I also disagree that there is any problem with the animation, looks excellent to me and I certainly don't recall playing any game/demo on my 360 that had better.
the animation in assasin's creed and uncharted both proved to be far more fluent and realistic than in crysis. and seeing killzone2 demo footage im willing to say its definetly in crysis' league. the deffered lighting is simply somefin representative of nextgen.

the animation in assasin's creed and uncharted both proved to be far more fluent and realistic than in crysis. and seeing killzone2 demo footage im willing to say its definetly in crysis' league. the deffered lighting is simply somefin representative of nextgen.

Sounds like Cell finally being put to use. Can't wait until the same happens for quad+ on PC ;)

I don't think I agree with your reasoning there. 2002 was only 1 year into the original xbox life. Novemer 2003 represents the same position vs the xbox as the PC market is in comparison to the 360.

The Dreamcast was released in 1999. The PS2 was released in 2000 I think?

2004 and FarCry were only one year before the release of the first console of the next generation. That would be 2009.

Sounds like Cell finally being put to use. Can't wait until the same happens for quad+ on PC ;)

Good animation for a main character and a 5-10 opponents is a matter of developer competence, not CPU power. The way Nate reacts to the environment in Drake's Fortune is impressive, without a doubt took many months of close cooperation between a programmer and an animator, and also without a doubt can be made to work equally well on a Wii (with less vertices in the characters, of course).

Good animation for a main character and a 5-10 opponents is a matter of developer competence, not CPU power. The way Nate reacts to the environment in Drake's Fortune is impressive, without a doubt took many months of close cooperation between a programmer and an animator, and also without a doubt can be made to work equally well on a Wii (with less vertices in the characters, of course).

Are animations all pre-computed? If so then I could see how more detailed animations would only add to the rendering workload, and not that of the CPU.

Are animations all pre-computed? If so then I could see how more detailed animations would only add to the rendering workload, and not that of the CPU.

The rendering of an animated character goes like this:

- look at user inputs, AI, environment, (optionally) physics contribution and decide how many and which animations to blend - in something as fluid as Uncharted, it might include 3-5 animations plus maybe a ragdoll contribution at some points
- sample animations for this moment in time - each animation sample specifies positions for 50-100 bones
- blend all the animations at this point in time (operation proportional to number of bones x number of active animations)
- do IK correction to plant limbs - feet to ground, hands to railings etc.
- do maybe some cloth simulation
- skin the vertices over the calculated bones - proprotional to number of vertices
- send to GPU for rendering (you probably don't want to do GPU skinning on RSX from what is known about it - not that I have any first-hand experience with RSX)

Except for the cloth simulation part (which can be as expensive as you make it - you get diminishing returns after some point, and you don't need Arwin's favorite silk canvas flowing over a car-level quality for the T-shirt of Nate and the bandanas of the pirates), everything else is very hard to get right in terms of know-how, but not very computationally intensive *per character*. If you are taking a lot of CPU time to blend animations, or perform IK fixup, you're doing something wrong.

Each to his own. Technically though Crysis clearly destroys KZ2. You wouldn't catch a GTX, GTS or even a high end DX9 GPU struggling with KZ2.

Personally I think its head and shoulders above KZ2 but then I never thought KZ2 looked that good in the first place. The comparisons to Gears always confused me, never mind Crysis.

The Dreamcast was released in 1999. The PS2 was released in 2000 I think?

2004 and FarCry were only one year before the release of the first console of the next generation. That would be 2009.

Well yeah, it all depends on how long the console cycle is. If its 4 years like the MS cycle so far then my analogy is fair but if its a 6-7 year cycle like the playstation then Crysis will of course be far more dated than Farcry was when the 360 launched.

The question of diminishing returns in graphics is an interesting one. Things look so good now that it is hard to imagine that it would be worthwhile to spend a lot more effort for new features that most wouldn't notice during gameplay anyway. I'm sort of in that boat now. I do most of my gaming on the 360 because, for the most part, the visuals are good enough for me. That really wasn't the case last gen. However, new hardware may allow the use of new algorithms and rendering techniques that may take things to a whole new visual level. Who knows?

While I'm not so sure about graphics, I really hope that game play can continue to be improved to new levels, at least for consoles. But that may not be strictly a hardware issue (although I guess more RAM and cpu can't hurt).

Considering that there is probably 3 to 5 years before we see any new systems, the launch titles should be able to put Crysis to shame.

Honestly I think the only thing that would be hold back the current systems from doing something like Crysis is the small amount of memory

I compleatly agree with you.
Just as unreal engine 3 will be outdated, better start thinking of unreal engine 4 and halo 4 engine if you want to think 3 or 4 years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back