Interview with Nintendo software engineer Takeshi Shimada (includes Wii GPU question)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Farid, Apr 27, 2007.

1. zed

zed
    Veteran

2. Oblivion

Newcomer

It just pains me how utterly weak the Wii GPU is, and how much more powerful it could if been if Nintendo got even some GPU made in 2003 or something.

We should know by now the main reason for going this route was so that they could just easily port their GC projects.

3. Fox5

Veteran

All emulated n64 games on the gamecube and wii ran at 4x their native res (from 320x240 to 640x480, majora's mask may have been 640x480 on the n64) with at the very least proper bilinear filtering. Those are probably about the only reasons the wii emulations look better.

4. zed

zed
    Veteran

supermario64 etc as well as the xbox (running on xb360) are closer to ports than emulations.
    the thing is if theyre willing to go to all this trouble for that.
    altering the 3d game resolution is extremely trivial, its just the cause of replace a couple of numbers, they could leave the HUDs projection etc as it was originally

5. Fox5

Veteran

I know the xbox emulations are recompilations (and perhaps even rewritten?) but are you sure about that for the n64 emulators? Even gamecube is more than powerful enough to just about fully emulate the n64, the games present all the same flaws associated with emulating N64 on pc, and people were even able to inject new roms into the gamecube emus and have them work.

There may be per game profiles, but I wouldn't call the n64 games on gamecube or wii ports since, at least on the cube, they did use a generic n64 emu. (though I recall hearing that the roms were optimized for streaming in some way)

6. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

A friend of mine who modded his XBOX1 filled his with tons of homebrew and emulators and I can assure that he ran Super Mario 64 on it on extremely high speeds. Only sound was missing ofcourse since the emulator he showed me back then was still in beta form

7. rbushner

Newcomer

The 360 is doing emulation for XBox games. Calling them ports, recompilation or rewrites is disingenuous.

The emulator needs certain hints, so it's not a 100% hardware emulation, but it's far closer to that then a port or rewrite.

8. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

A port involves at the bare minimum recompilation of the game code to run on a different platform. Emulation is running the original binaries on a different platform through a software layer designed to mimic the interface of the original hardware. The emulator may be capable of adding new features or not.

Mario 64 runs on the Xbox using a ROM of the original game. Thus it is an emulation, not a port.

Xbox games run on the 360 using the original binaries on the game disc, not recompiled binaries on a new disc. Thus, they are emulated, not ported.

9. zed

zed
    Veteran

yes i agree though i was talking about it running on the wii

my understanding is WRT xbox games running on xb360 for each separate game u need to download a piece of software ( is this not correct? ), ie if it was truly emulated then this would not be necessary as the emulator would mimic the xbox hardware

10. Shompola

Newcomer

I believe it is like UltraHLE if you remember that N64 emulator. There is a technical term of how it tries to run these games, but I can't remember it. Maybe somebody else does? :eek:

11. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

No. All emulation mean is that you're using an Xbox binary and some kind of software layer to translate it into X360 language. The emulator may only emulate high-level APIs and not mimic low-level code, but that doesn't mean it's "not a true emulator."

Think of it this way: Imagine that the Xbox 360 speaks only English. An Xbox game is like a book written in Russian. Emulation is like hiring a translator to read the book out loud in English while the 360 listens. His vocabulary might not be big enough to read every book, so sometimes he'll have to learn new words to translate different books. Porting is like publishing an all-new English edition of the book.

12. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

Yeah, it's called High Level Emulation. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrahle

13. Urian

Regular

I´ve ever had the theory that the iQue BroadON chip is inside the Hollywood.

14. Li Mu Bai

Regular

Around $15million+ iirc. Also you shouldn't take the $10million development cost of Gears quite so literally, as Epic had already developed the engine. (which can figure quite prominently into the overall R&D sw costs)

15. Li Mu Bai

Regular

Yet developers continue to develop for & push the PS2, strange. (GOW2)

16. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Yes, epic had already developed the engine, but isn't engine development peanuts in the big picture? Its half-a dozen programmers writing code?

Anyways, thats not the point, the point is that "Epic" games (not games developed by Epic, but the word epic, as in killerapp) is still costing the "same". The wii being easier, doesn't make everything automatically cheaper.

17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

If we consider the cost of the engine to other developers is $1 million, we can say that if it Epic had to use a third party engine, the game would cost $1 million more to make, or another company producing exactly the same GeOW game would ahve to spend $11 million. That gives a real cost to create the game, rather than saying the cost of developing UE3.0 is 100% additional cost on top of GeOW, which ignores the returns from multiple titles and licensing.

18. Fafalada

Veteran

PS2 sells more software yearly then competitors did in their lifetime. Heck at present time, the only 'current'(6 years or younger)hw with higher software LTD then PS2 Yearly, is GBA...

19. MDX

MDX
    Newcomer

Got any evidence that BroadOn made the chip for the iQue?
    Cause it would be an interesting theory...

20. Li Mu Bai

Regular

Which was exactly my point Faf, developers will allocate resources into whatever platform/s they deem most profitable, despite the systems technical shortcomings. The PS2 is obviously still a very viable system to develop for from a business perspective. assen said that Nintendo hates developers, I heard these very same sentiments early on regarding the PS2 & its programming complexity, lack of v-ram, etc. (remember Lorne Lanning's grocery list of complaints?) But developers were forced to adapt. Developers will do the same with the Wii.