Interesting article on Gamasutra.

duffer said:
I think most Xbox games use Bink and/or WMV for their FMV.

Divx is great for distributing video (typically commercial DVDs copied without permission) over the Internet, but it's not a particularly good codec for video games. It's not terrible, just nothing special.

(A good video game codec is high quality, low cpu overhead and low ram footprint. High compression ratio isn't as important, because DVDs are huge.)

DivX doesn't make sense for Xbox or PS2 because like you mentioned they both use full size DVD media which can use something like MPEG2. However for GC's limited MiniDVD format it makes perfect sense.

Also cpu overhead is only relevent for video codecs because PCs can have multiple programs and windows open. On consoles FMV is fullscreen so the cpu overhead argument doesn't hold water ;)

On GC DVD quality at 1/7 the file size makes perfect sense.

DivX doesn't make sense for Xbox

Depends. If developers use wmv in its place then I agree, however they can't use MPEG2 for games(requires a license which the XB doesn't have without the remote) and if we are talking MPEG1 v MPEG4 I'll certainly take the latter without hesitation.

PC-Engine said:
...cpu overhead is only relevent for video codecs because PCs can have multiple programs and windows open. On consoles FMV is fullscreen so the cpu overhead argument doesn't hold water ;)

That depends on what you're using the FMV for. If you're trying to run your game at the same time, for example if you've got the FMV texture-mapped on a computer monitor within a game level, then it can make a big difference how much CPU the codec is using.

..OK, I can imagine a scenario where a frugal cross-platform developer would happily use DivX to have the same media play back the same FMV cut scenes on all three platforms, without having to spend much money on codecs. (Assuming the DivX IP owners don't start asserting their IP rights.)

(And what cross-platform developer isn't frugal? :) )

Decoder wise DivX probably have no IP worth speaking of except their trademark, it's plain MPEG-4 advanced profile.

You would pay DivX for the source code (as Factor 5 presumably did, implemented the whole decoder in assembly my ass ;) or libraries and use of their trademark (there is also a couple of others offering MPEG-4 advanced profile decoders, so you might not go with DivX). Also you'd pay the patent holders to the MPEG-4 Visual Patent Portfolio License "US $0.01 per 30 minutes or part to a maximum of US $0.04 per movie" for each copy of the game.

MPEG-1/2 decoders would probably work out cheaper, Bink or homegrown cheaper still.

duffer said:
PC-Engine said:
...cpu overhead is only relevent for video codecs because PCs can have multiple programs and windows open. On consoles FMV is fullscreen so the cpu overhead argument doesn't hold water ;)

That depends on what you're using the FMV for. If you're trying to run your game at the same time, for example if you've got the FMV texture-mapped on a computer monitor within a game level, then it can make a big difference how much CPU the codec is using.

In those situations you wouldn't need DivX, MPEG 1 would be adequate since it's a tiny little low res video ;)

Mfa, regarding the assembly code, I got that from an IGN interview :)

DVD-like quality at file sizes 7-10 times smaller than MPEG-2

Support for the advanced features of the cutting-edge DivX 5.02 Pro video technology including pyschovisual modeling, bi-directional encoding, and global motion compensation

Encoding speeds 2-3X faster than real-time

Hand-optimized assembler-code for maximum usage of all Gamecube CPU ("Gekko") extensions and minimal cache misses

Uses both CPU and graphics chip ("Flipper") in parallel for extremely fast performance

Maximum flexibility and ease of use, with the ability to map video on any surface and run in parallel with other applications

Tight integration with the MusyX and AX sound libraries for audio streaming

IGNcube: Why did you partner with DivX in the end?

Julian: DivX is the perfect partner in the MPEG-4 field. DivX is the widest known and best implementation of an MPEG-4 encoder currently in existence. Their encoding toolkit is mature and second to none. Also, they have the experience in licensing this technology and simply great brand recognition. On top of that our two technical teams "clicked" just perfectly and it took only a few days to create a special GameCube SDK version of the DivX encoder.

Ya ok, but I just read that to mean it contains assembly code. Doing the whole decoder in assembly would be silly.

Last I heard, the-royal-"we" hated FMV in games, and called it the bane of the PSX-generation! Why the sudden change of heart? ;)

zurich said:
Last I heard, the-royal-"we" hated FMV in games, and called it the bane of the PSX-generation! Why the sudden change of heart? ;)

Because Factor 5 already knows how to make great games without FMV. Now they'll make those same great games with FMV.

It's totally opposite of great FMV in PSX games and no substance ingame. Without a strong foundation, FMV is just skin deep ;)

Sorry, this gets a great big :rolleyes:

For quite a while, people have been jumping for joy that the current systems can do impressive ingame cinematics, which removes the need for FMV. This same FMV was damned for detracting from gameplay, "removing the player", and all around disrupting a games atmosphere (ie: change in graphic quality).

I don't really have an opinion on the use of FMV at all. I guess I could say that I like it, but I prefer in-game rendered graphics.

I just find it really funny that FMV is "back", simply because Hail-Mary-Factor 5 made a DIVX codec to "fix" one of the GCs technical shortcomings (its media). And judging from the comments of some forum members and reviews, it doesnt sound like Rogue Leader excels in the gameplay department (ie: I think FMV is the last thing it needs).

Unless people are super excited about the prospect of HQ introduction and ending movies, then I'd really have to smell some hypocricy in the air.

zurich

I just find it really funny that FMV is "back", simply because Hail-Mary-Factor 5 made a DIVX codec to "fix" one of the GCs technical shortcomings (its media). And judging from the comments of some forum members and reviews, it doesnt sound like Rogue Leader excels in the gameplay department (ie: I think FMV is the last thing it needs).

First of all who said Factor 5's next game is a RL sequel?

Second considering the number of copies RL sold, I'd say it's a pretty good shooter ;)

It's funny how so many casual gamers were fooled into thinking what they saw as FMV running on PSX was actual ingame footage. The disappointment on their faces after realizing it was all smoke and mirrors was just priceless :LOL:

Well, Rogue Leader isn't a great shooter, but it's a great Star Wars game. Take out the license and the game would have sold a lot fewer copies. They did some impressive graphics though and I still enjoy the game.

Johnny Awesome said:
Well, Rogue Leader isn't a great shooter, but it's a great Star Wars game. Take out the license and the game would have sold a lot fewer copies. They did some impressive graphics though and I still enjoy the game.

I hesitate to buy it. Last shooter I played and enjoyed was Starfox64.

Back