Intel Alder Lake (12000 Series)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Under load those P cores sure are generating a lot of power and heat. Far more than the Ryzen equivalent. General gaming though where the cores aren't as loaded it seems to be ok.

Anyone know if Alder Lake can be undervolted?

Yeah, like any other CPU.

Alder Lake is great because AMD and Intel now really have to battle it out on price, both with high-performance options.

OTOH, I just don't see how this will be competitive in the laptop market against the Zen 3 APUs. Sure the E cores might be good enough for 99% of the tasks done on mobility, but those P-cores are going to demand a lot from a laptop's smaller power supply and cooling system.

The only thing they have going for them is the fact that AMD decided to severely cripple the PCIe lanes on Cezanne, but if Rembrandt solves that then Intel is going to lose a lot in the laptop market.

Lower count cores are equal in power consumption with AMD counter parts. My guts tell me Alder Lake is really a mobile CPU, at lower levels is going to provide good performance at good power consumption.

IMG_9268.png

In games when not loaded to 100%

In real world scenarios, no one runs AIDA64 all the time. And the i9 doesn't offer to much performance beyond 200W. If you limit the PL2 at that you get a 5900x cpu or better with somewhat OK power consumption.

I thought there were issues with undervolting Ryzen CPUs previous to the 5000 series. Wasn't sure where Intel CPUs were at.

Yeah intel is quite easy to tune things.

In real world scenarios, no one runs AIDA64 all the time.
There are no actual productivity or development scenarios that max out all cores? That's news to me.

The only point I was trying to make was that gaming power consumption doesn't tell the whole story, it's not a full representation of power efficiency vs AMD. I don't care about pissing wars or favorite companies either.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...g-little-cpu-design-tested-its-a-barn-burner/

They seem to be quite impressed, but "Cooling is provided by a Corsair fluid cooler and triple fan radiator" you've gotta wonder how much is due to it being a great design and how much is it due to just raising the speed/energy cost and just cooling the fuck out of it. I would like them to test it with just your bog standard single CPU air cooler

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...g-little-cpu-design-tested-its-a-barn-burner/

They seem to be quite impressed, but "Cooling is provided by a Corsair fluid cooler and triple fan radiator" you've gotta wonder how much is due to it being a great design and how much is it due to just raising the speed/energy cost and just cooling the fuck out of it. I would like them to test it with just your bog standard single CPU air cooler

Depends on the work load.

A 125w power limit (even the basic 120mm towers should handle that fine) for the 12900k/f for something like Cinebench MT scores I've heard around 7500. So around 35% slower at the presumably "stock" limit of 241w. Scaling of course is not going to be linear in that range.

A 125w limit on the other hand for a work load like gaming would have a negligible performance difference, it might not even hit that limit consistently.

Lower count cores are equal in power consumption with AMD counter parts. My guts tell me Alder Lake is really a mobile CPU, at lower levels is going to provide good performance at good power consumption.

IMG_9268.png

Sure, it's efficient when compared to a dual-CCD 12-core 64MB L3 Zen 3 that is by design far from the best gaming performance efficiency AMD has to offer, at 150W.
How is that gaming power efficiency going to compare against a 65W Ryzen 5700G?

We know Alder Lake performs well at 150-250W and that's fine for desktops, but I don't see how those P-cores are going to scale down to a laptop's limitations without killing the frequency so much that maybe they'd be better off with just E-cores.

There are no actual productivity or development scenarios that max out all cores? That's news to me.

The only point I was trying to make was that gaming power consumption doesn't tell the whole story, it's not a full representation of power efficiency vs AMD. I don't care about pissing wars or favorite companies either.

You can have 100% usage on some applications but doesn't equate to high power consumption. It depends on what type of instructions is the CPU executing, that's why there are specific stress test applications.

Again, in relation to gaming, the picture is not half bad.

qrxoxx9plnx71.png

Sure, it's efficient when compared to a dual-CCD 12-core 64MB L3 Zen 3 that is by design far from the best gaming performance efficiency AMD has to offer, at 150W.
How is that gaming power efficiency going to compare against a 65W Ryzen 5700G?

We know Alder Lake performs well at 150-250W and that's fine for desktops, but I don't see how those P-cores are going to scale down to a laptop's limitations without killing the frequency so much that maybe they'd be better off with just E-cores.

I would love to see some benchmarks of people limiting the 12600K to 30W and see what results they get.

https://www.capframex.com/tests/Alder Lake-S 12900K is the new Gaming King

If you look at the results for The Ascent, ray traced shadows are turned on according to the settings video. 12600K is beating 5900X, 10900K and 11900K. Haven't picked through the rest of their tests, but I'm looking for more ray tracing benches.

Edit: Looks like all of their tests were ray tracing on (when available) at 720p. Alder Lake looking very good.

Last edited:
Anyone know of any reviews yet done with 125w limits in place, and not on 360mm coolers?

Anyone know of any reviews yet done with 125w limits in place, and not on 360mm coolers?

Yah, as much as I like the performance of these things, I'm pretty confident I'd have trouble with them in my apartment which is not air conditioned.

The Intel 12th Gen Core i9-12900K Review: Hybrid Performance Brings Hybrid Complexity (anandtech.com)
Now comparing the P-core to the E-core, and it’s a story of how the E-core individually can perform on par with a Skylake core. Having eight extra Skylake-class cores is nothing to be sniffed at. In a lot of tests the E-core is half the performance of the P-core, but the P-core is itself is now the market leader in performance. The Golden Cove core inside Alder Lake has reclaimed the single-threaded performance crown with an uplift in SPEC of 18-20%, which is in line with Intel’s 19% claim. This puts it ahead of Apple’s M1 Max or 6% (int) and 16% (fp) ahead of AMD’s Zen 3 core.

Back