Intels new HEDT (LGA 2066, Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X)

So why did you give it as an example of x299 not having to be single channel then ;)

Last edited:
So why did you give it as an example of x299 not having to be single channel then ;)
Huh? You've completely lost me. I just showed how the channels go on Z270 board to highlight the difference between the platforms & memory channels.

Kaby Lake-X doesn't have to be single channel on any X299. It can be if you use just 1 dimm or if you use 2 dimms on same channel on motherboard with 8 slots, but it doesn't have to be.

Because it has 2 channel memory controller.
as in it has 2 channels each supporting 2 dims
why only 2
channels that is, why not 4 channels each supporting 2 dimms
you could say the cpu only has 2 channels but if you were to put 3 dimms in each different capacities
they would not run in 1x single channel + 1x dual channel using the smallest cappacity
eg: 1x2gb 1x4gb 1x8gb that would not run as 1x2gb in single channel and 1x4gb running in dual channel = total 6gb
it would be 1x2gb 1x4gb 1x8gb total 14gb all running in single channel mode proving the cpu has at least 3 channels

Last edited:
I don't know how are the electrical (or signal) constraints exactly but you can't pile up as many DIMMs as you want, else we might have seen PCs with a terabyte memory a decade ago already - some database or statistics or other problems care about fitting everything into memory, or this makes things simpler.

Other way : why don't they make 64GB graphics instead of "just" 32GB graphics cards as the max size. Well, they do use GDDR5 clamshell mode already (which makes me think of RAM chips "piggybacked" on top of other RAM chips in 1980s computers, sometimes done by the owner with a solder iron). So they're already making a 32GB graphics card instead of being limited to a 16GB one.
Perhaps they could make a 64GB graphics card that's a fair bit or much slower, with the same 512bit memory width. But this might require another memory standard (let's call it "GDDR5XL") to have been made, and a GPU with a different memory controller. And we want two sources for the GDDR5XL. This would cost a few billions dollars (don't ask me how I know it, I don't. This is an unscientific affirmation)

It's the right solution. Even Amd's AM4 is confusing, with its different number of pcie lanes depending on wether Ryzen is used or on APU

It's the right solution. Even Amd's AM4 is confusing, with its different number of pcie lanes depending on wether Ryzen is used or on APU
Seems to be the only mobo presented so far with such limitation though, rest of ASUS boards and all boards I checked from others support Kaby Lake-X's too and have a mess of "specs-listing" depending on which CPU is installed

It's not too bad I think, where AMD went really wrong is with Excavator APUs (Carrizo) on laptop that were in most cases put on single channel motherboards, that didn't allow to use what all the CPU can do although this might be acceptable if you wanted a low cost laptop.
On AM4 the early APU are the same (with some improvements on the platform and power use for a given performance I guess) but there is no memory or other limitation, only you eventually get to use an 8x 3.0 graphics card instead of a 16x 3.0.
I think this matters not on Excavator (Bristol Ridge) where you'll be way more easily limited by the CPU anyway. On Raven Ridge this'll be a small or very small limitation.

Worth noting is that the 7th gen APUs aren't actually available on retail, so consumers have little to worry about.
Raven Ridge might be different when it comes to desktop next year apparently (and mobile only this year)

First reviews are out early
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/107017-intel-core-i9-7900x-14nm-skylake-x/
https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/1

The NDA ends apparently tomorrow really, but they got their CPU from other sources and had no NDA - just like pretty much all of Europer since Intel no longer has any PR activity here nor do they send CPUs to tests (for most European sites anyway). We got one X299 mobo and other one coming, but no CPU to test them with. Motherboard makers have said that they don't have enough test CPUs themselves, let alone to send to all the sites

Also, quote from one who has the CPU: "The motherboards are not ready for consumers"

Back