Intel Launches Comet Lake (Core 10th Series)

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by jayco, May 23, 2020 at 8:13 AM.

1. jayco

Veteran Regular

I haven't seen any post about the new line of chips. The chips are already out as well as reviews, main takes:
    - Intel has greatly improved thermal performance.
    - The 10900k consumes A LOT of power.
    - Intel keeps the absolute lead in gaming and some productivity tasks.
    - The 10600k (6/12) it's a very good value proposition.
    - You'll need a new socket, it will support gen 11th.

10600k reviews:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-10600k-processor-review,1.html
    https://www.techradar.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k

10900k:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again/15

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSman1700, pharma and BRiT like this.
  2. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Just going to leave this here. You also need a new motherboard and better cooling. Still stuck at PCIe v3. You can currently get the Ryzen 9 3900X for $390 at Micro Center. Curiously the review lack any thermal measurements.

[​IMG]

Laurent06 and BRiT like this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yikes, nearly 2x the power rating than the equivalent spec AMD? Am I reading that right, the 10600 Intel and 3600 AMD.

And double yikes, still stuck on PciE v3 for Intel. When were they planning on Pcie v5, for consumers, next year?

Those prices for AMD that AT used seem way higher than current retail costs, as Pressure pointed out. What are they using, launch prices from 6 to 9 months ago?

Lightman likes this.
  4. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Not to mention the 3600 is currently $160. Not to derail the thread.

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And the 10900k price is per 1k

BRiT likes this.
  6. jayco

Veteran Regular

By the way, if you spend some money on a high quality ddr4 memory, the 10600k will give you 10900k results in gaming.

As for the rest of the comments, Skylake is a dying arch, I myself have the 6600k bought 5 YEARS ago. It's too long and it shows how Intel really dropped the ball with 10nm and also shows how far behind AMD was, as they just been able to match Skylake in gaming performance.

pharma, PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  7. Entropy

Veteran

The sobering realization hits when you let it sink in that an AMD 3300x with fast memory is pretty much up there as well. PC hardware stagnation, typical game code and the fact that GPUs limit performance too, makes spending a lot of money on CPU upgrades rather pointless as far as gaming is concerned.
    (I run an intel 3770 at 4.2GHz all cores, conditions where it draws 75 easy to cool Watts. (I’ve got 24GB of fast low latency DDR3.) There is no product available that will net me more than 50% in gaming, and since the GPU introduces limitations as well, there’s no rational point to upgrading my game box. It’s been 8 years.)
    From a tech enthusiast point of view, this stagnation is terrible. From a gaming point of view, it’s a good thing. I can enjoy playing whatever interesting new games that are published and spend my money on other than PC hardware components.

8. jayco

Veteran Regular

Even tho I can still play most games, I do notice the lack of enough threads. For example, in Destiny 2 I'm hitting 100% CPU usage most of the times, and when I fight a lot enemies at once I get a lot of FPS drops. I've been waiting, hoping Zen 3 was good enough but seeing only matching Skylake performace (it has higher IPC but cannot hit Intel clocks) disappointed me. I'm hoping AMD will be able to offer a substantial jump with Zen 4. 20% would be good enough for me.

Edit: On destiny 2, hitting 100% on all cores just doing some public events.
    upload_2020-5-24_18-34-29.png

edit2: not getting the i7 6700k was a mistake btw, I will probably go for 10 cores next time. I do not want to change my CPU until PS6 comes around.

9. Entropy

Veteran

Now, I don’t want to stop anyone from shopping their way to happiness, but how on Gods green earth do you manage to get CPU limited like that in Destiny 2? Do you have a 240Hz monitor, or what’s going on? Reviews tend to do 200fps or more in CPU affected scenarios, and I never saw drops below 60Hz when I played it (I used my old 2560x1440 IPS monitor for this game).

More cores might come into play more as this next console generation moves on. They are a static target though, so anything you buy that is sufficient, is likely to stay so for the remaining decade.

PSman1700 and jayco like this.
  10. jayco

Veteran Regular

I play at 1080p@144hz, but the CPU hits 100% at 110-120 fps depending on the scenario. BTW, I've overclocked the CPU to 4.3 Ghz.

I had the same issues playing BF1 and 5.

#10 jayco, May 25, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 9:54 AM
  11. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Isn't Intel planning to bring 10nm+ CPUs to the desktop anytime soon?

Looks like they put themselves into a corner where they only have 2 choices:
    - Higher core-count using 14nm+++++ Skylake cores with old I/O and iGPU
    - Low core-count (up to 4 cores max?) using the new 10nm+ cores with new I/O and iGPU

What I'm getting from looking at core count on newer architectures is that Intel still isn't confident enough to make larger chips on 10nm on a large scale.
    Otherwise they could e.g. repurpose part of the Ice Lake SP cores to a prosumer platform so they could fight Threadripper.

Fixed that for you.
    Games are about to be developed with 3.5GHz 8 core / 16 thread CPUs with current-gen IPC in mind. A 6-core / 12-thread model can only compensate for that in instructions-per-time if it's running at 4.7GHz (3.5*1.33) assuming L2 cache doesn't become a bottleneck, and with a PC OS' higher overhead we'd probably need around 5GHz sustained instead.

Unless someone is intending to upgrade their CPU (and probably motherboard too, knowing Intel) next year, purchasing a 6-core CPU is just a mistake nowadays.
    Sure, it might be good value for today, but it's terrible future-proofing nonetheless. And so are the 4-core Ryzen 3000 BTW, but at least those are so cheap that it could make sense to save some money now to compensate for a lower-priced 8-10 core model next year.

BRiT likes this.
  12. Entropy

Veteran

Then it makes sense!
    I actually went the extra mile here, and downloaded the game again (all 87GB....) to check my memory. And true enough, I never dropped below 100fps, and yours should be a tad faster. I played at 60fps at the time, and never ever saw frame drops. I can see that it would be a different ball game at 144Hz. Unless you run with Active-/G-sync, where I don't think it makes a lot of difference actually.
    Running at very high frame rates could be tricky in the future, where 3.5GHz Zen2 is the baseline. (And I do believe that adding cores beyond 8 isn't going to make one hell of a lot of difference. Actual speed per thread will be the metric I look out for.) The next generation consoles will have pretty good CPU capabilities. Getting a factor 2 up in per thread performance could be a long wait.

One might actually have to adjust settings (gasp!) to achieve higher level frame rates.

#12 Entropy, May 25, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    jayco likes this.
  13. jayco

Veteran Regular

No, and I don't expect them to release any 10nm product on desktop. They will probably skip it, and move from 14nm directly to 7nm.

However, next year they are moving away from Skylake into Willow Cove, but it will be still a 14nm node. Some rumours are pointing to a 30% increase in IPC from Skylake, but I don't know if they will be able to match the same clocks.

Wow, you didn't need to download the game lol. I think Destiny's engine scales very well with additional cores/threads, I've seen some post on reddit of people with issues on 6600k that have moved to the 7700k and have noticed a substantial improvement, from cores being fully utilized to 60-70% max utilization.