Intel Launches Comet Lake (Core 10th Series)

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by jayco, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I well aware of the current situation, just hoping that at some point this will change. Though as you pointed out, they had every reason to thread heavily this gen and it doesn't seem to have happened for the most part.

2. jayco

Veteran Regular

I partially agree, keep in mind that the 3300X has already 8 threads. Games like Battlefield V run much smoother on a 6700k than on my 6600k, once you have more than 4 threads available. However, at 12 or 16 threads you enter the land of rapidly diminishing returns. So yes, I agree 8/16 is an overkill for gaming, right now a 6/12 cpu should last you several years but if you still have a 4 threaded cpu you are going to notice the 1% lows can get... very low.

On another topic, according to rumors Intel is planning on releasing Rocket Lake by the end of the year. If you were planning on upgrading I suggest to wait for Zen 3 and RL as they promise nice increases in ST performance.

Lightman and sir doris like this.
  3. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

So as someone in the oc scene, if you want to get CML, avoid anything but the 10core. If it's purely gaming and nothing else the 6 core is fine also but might get left behind when next gen consoles mature and requirements go up. Silicon and IHS quality is all over the place so it's a properly lottery for voltage binning and even the thermals given the same voltage. 10700k and 10600k are rejects and bad ones at that. You get much worse voltage bins and depending which cores are de activated will determine your core to core latency.

For the 10core, get a mobo in the $280 or above range. The unify itx being the best small mobo available. All the ATX boards in that range and above are fine. Get one with the features and bios you like more.

Speaking of bios, somehow most of the bios are a mess with bugs and mem training issues so platform needs more time to mature.

IMC can be strong but ring bus being stretched beyond it's peak efficiency means latency is a worse than a similar tuned 9900k(s)

360mm AIO for the 10core. De lid, direct die with a custom loop is ideal. Drop in temps should be good for another 100-200mhz all core.

If you want to know your worst cores. Load up Prime 95 small avx2 with HT disabled. Then see which 2 cores fail first. Disable HT on those and then OC the rest and you can "max out" your chip that way.

bdie still the best for mem as you'd expect. Good target is cl16-17 and 4400-4600mhz for daily stable with tight timings.

If you don't care to do any oc and just want plug n play with xmp, get Ryzen instead. Better yet, wait for the XT variants of the Ryzen 3000 series chips coming out soon.

Pete, Lightman and BRiT like this.
  4. jayco

Veteran Regular

[​IMG]

:-|:-|:cry: my poor 6600k. 4 threads is so 2017.

Pete and Lightman like this.
  5. Davros

Legend

63 fps is still playable

6. jayco

Veteran Regular

Peasant.

Lightman likes this.