Inside X360: Jeff Henshaw Interview Part One AND TWO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean*O said:
That would = 1080p60Hz which seems to be slightly beyond the spec of HDMI-A.

It's not. If DVI can support resolutions way above 1600x1200 at 75Hz at least, 1080p60 will surely not be beyond HDMI specifications.

I'll go out on a limb and say there won't be dual ports, along with a lot of other Kutaragi pet features now that he's not driving the hardware side of things. Frankly the spec they laid out at E3 was a $700 game machine and there's no way they are going to release the first version of PS3 like that. No useless "dual HDMI ports", none of that BS they probably just cooked up to counter MS hype.

Expect a much toned down PS3 when it comes out next year. Expect it to be in the ballpark of Xbox 360.

Embedded Sea said:
I'll go out on a limb and say there won't be dual ports, along with a lot of other Kutaragi pet features now that he's not driving the hardware side of things. Frankly the spec they laid out at E3 was a $700 game machine and there's no way they are going to release the first version of PS3 like that. No useless "dual HDMI ports", none of that BS they probably just cooked up to counter MS hype.

Expect a much toned down PS3 when it comes out next year. Expect it to be in the ballpark of Xbox 360.

Thank you. What would we do without this kind of totally factual information... :?

Was does dual HDMI outputs drive costs up to $700?! That's the only obvious 'excess'. 7 controllers through Wifi is Bluetooth that supports 8 devices, so no excess there. They want people to be able to use their existing flash storage, so provide the three main types, but haven't gone to the excess of a 9 card reader. 6 USB might be overkill. Oh, and 3 Gigabit network ports is surprising, but that might be part of a bigger plan (Cell storage, Cell devices like Gigabit into Sony Cell TV)

Everything else is much akin to XB360 in size, plus BR, minus HDD. I think what's been shown will be released pretty much as is. The only major excesses I see are two Gigabit connectors and 1 HDMI port.

Shifty Geezer said:
6 USB might be overkill.

Well not really. What about 4 wired controllers. Everybody in the future will not pay the extra cost for wireless controllers. And believe it or not some people hate wireless controllers with a passion. They complain about the recharging part and the extra weight.

So Sony gave us gamers a choice. Up to 7 wireless controllers or 4 player wired controllers with 2 other ports to be used for a USB printer and camera. So I would even say 6 usb ports are not excessive.

Sony just can't do anything right in some people's eyes (not you Shifty I'm talking about others). The don't allow SD or CF cards in the PSP and people complain, yet they allow it on the PS3 and people complain again. The only allow 2 people to play on multiplayer games stock and people complain, yet they allow 7 wireless and 6 wired and people complain some more.

I just don't get some people. :? *shakes head*

you don't need 6 USB ports for 4 wired controllers. you could just use a splitter cable and use more then one controller on a single usb port.

Qroach said:
you don't need 6 USB ports for 4 wired controllers. you could just use a splitter cable and use more then one controller on a single usb port.

Yeah but isn't that something extra to buy? Not a bad idea that sounds like a smaller version of a multi-tap to me. Again not bad, but if you could just get it standard then what's wrong with that.

I always thought that Xbox and GC had the upper hand over the PS2 with this very issue.

Well not really. What about 4 wired controllers. Everybody in the future will not pay the extra cost for wireless controllers. And believe it or not some people hate wireless controllers with a passion. They complain about the recharging part and the extra weight.

Some good points . But others have addressed those problems .

Ms has a quick charger coming out that should take a short amount of time (the ms rep didn't have the numbers ) and u can charge 4 packs at once in a small charger that plugs into either a usb port or a plug .

Ms has a quick charger coming out that should take a short amount of time (the ms rep didn't have the numbers ) and u can charge 4 packs at once in a small charger that plugs into either a usb port or a plug .

I understand that. I'm really don't want to seem like I'm one of these cry baby my battery is going dead type people. I've argued with these people for years now. But some people just don't like wireless controllers.

It would be nice to see the sells of wireless and wired controllers to see which is selling better.

Well i think the pack in is going to help ms alot . They should have added the battery and one of the plugs with it though .

The wavebird was the first wireless controller that worked well . The tech has improved and now every x360 owner can see that (and hopefully ps3 user if they bundle it too)

I always thought that Xbox and GC had the upper hand over the PS2 with this very issue.

There's a difference in having to buy an expensive custom multitap compared to buying a cheap USB splitter cable.

Compared to a USB splitter? Yeah you could say it's expensive. I'm saying this in reponse to idea that this was something Nintendo and Microsft had over sony last generation.

Sony sold a multitap, and MS is saying you can just use a usb splitter. There's a pretty big difference in cost between the two. Wouldn't you say?

Qroach said:
Compared to a USB splitter? Yeah you could say it's expensive. I'm saying this in reponse to idea that this was something Nintendo and Microsft had over sony last generation.

Sony sold a multitap, and MS is saying you can just use a usb splitter. There's a pretty big difference in cost between the two.

Nothing worth crying over:

USB hub from 15 to 100 pounds (30 to 200 dollars). obviously depends on the type, but we want usb2.0 dont we...

Multitap from 29 to 39 dollars, fixed price.

Meanwhile, our retail partners are screaming for something they can show in the stores that promotes the value of hi-def programming and lets them bring customers into a location and show them hi-def content, and let them hear surround sound, and experience that. So they're not just selling a game console, they can also get that TV sold or that surround sound system sold. Both our customers and our retail partners are looking at Xbox 360 as the catalyst that will really get the hi-def revolution burning.

That's pretty revealing. It also shows that Sony is headed in the right direction by giving PS3 hi def movie playback.

not necessarily. A usb Hub typically requires it's own power source (not always) and provides more than two added ports.

You can get a usb splitter for less than 10 bucks. how many ports do you need?

Qroach said:
not necessarily. A usb Hub typically requires it's own power source (not always) and provides more than two added ports.

You can get a usb splitter for less than 10 bucks. how many ports do you need?

Matey, we're comparing a multitap with 4 ports with a 2-way splitter?
Let's compare it to a 4-way splitter or hub, which i have never seen requiring its own power source. In the circumstances, a multitap and a 4-way usb hub cost almost the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back