Inside X360: Jeff Henshaw Interview Part One AND TWO

Status
Not open for further replies.
one said:
Quaz51 said:
with a photo that zoom in the PS3 ports i measure the size of the PS3 HDMI port in comparison with USB port below, the USB port mesure 12mm, the PS3 HDMI port mesure 14mm exactly like a HDMI type A, the HDMI type B for 1080p mesure 21.3mm with 29 pin (19 pin for a type A)

HDMI_AB.jpg
Thanks for a headsup, hadn't known about Type A/B ;)

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/imagelibrary/downloadMedia.asp?MediaDetailsID=26309

Check out this pic and it shows 2 HDMI Type B ports which are easily identifiable by the shape rather than the size.

no, it type A, i mesured, a port USB mesure 12mm, easy to mesure the PS3 HDMI port in comparison to USB port and it's 14mm (type B is 21.3mm)

but i a doubt with the limite of Type A resolution, i see few website that affirm this (type A limit to 1080i) but i don't sure that, perhaps this site say wrong, it's very possible

Higher resolutions than 1080i? That would have to mean that it can output 1080p...

Yeah, Type B can do that. That is not the question. Can type A output 1080p? Because it seems that the PS3 has type A outputs.

Quaz51 said:
no, it type A, i mesured, a port USB mesure 12mm
Can you tell the black frame for a USB port from a USB port socket itself? I doubt the size can be precisely measured unless you have a more zoomed-up pic of a PS3 rear.

one said:
Quaz51 said:
no, it type A, i mesured, a port USB mesure 12mm
Can you tell the black frame for a USB port from a USB port socket itself? I doubt the size can be precisely measured unless you have a more zoomed-up pic of a PS3 rear.

i AFFIRM the PS3 HDMI port is type A, i mesured VERY PRECISELY and there is any doubt :D

the doubt is in the limite of type A, i think finally that type A support 1080p 60hz probably

Oh dear lord... The is whole Type A/B connector drivel is pointless (c'mon 2 pages!?!). It's pretty common knowledge that the current video pixel rate for HDMI (Type A which uses a single TMDS channel) is 25-165MHz, meaning you can easily support 1920x1080@60Hz, and go up to 1920x1200 at w/reduced blanking...

And the comment about being ZERO 1080p TVs is BS... I can walk down to the Good Guys and find several sitting on the showroom...

Well I must say this turned into talking about the PS3 really fast. ;)

At any rate, for clarification... from the HDMI spec:
The Type A connector carries all required HDMI signals, including a single TMDS link. The Type B connector is slightly larger and carries a second TMDS link, which is necessary to support very high-resolution computer displays requiring dual link bandwidth.
Dual-link DVI itself says "essentially anything over 2.3 million pixels" and while 1080p is only ~2.07 million pixels, I assume that the audio demands of HDMI are taking up some "pixel room" on HDTV's that it doesn't have to with monitors. So even though 1600x1200 is close to 1080p's pixels (at 1.92 million) and would be able to be driven by an Type A-DVI adaptor, 1080p has more considerations.

It sounds like Quaz can be more technical about it, though. ^_^

...or perhaps Archie will chime in while I was scouring around looking for info on this. :oops: :oops:

Methinks he was exaggerating when he said "zero". i.e. Sure they exist, but very very few people have them, and they aren't going to be the target audience.

Actuall a quick google search for 1080p input will revela that it's the hot topic for these new displays, none of the tv's actually accept a 1080p signal. Apparently there was one projecter that will accept it.

http://www.sanyo.com/business/projectors/large_fixed/index.cfm?productID=888

I guess the problem currently is that the HDMI chips that these displays use will not decode the 1080p. So what they curently do is de-interlace a 1080i signal to 1080p..... I had forgotten about this issue. I read about it on engadget when the 1080p displays were coming out. so if you are shopping for a 1080p display I'd hold off for a while longer until the ones capable of accepting the input are released.

MoH

MoHonRi said:
I guess the problem currently is that the HDMI chips that these displays use will not decode the 1080p. So what they curently do is de-interlace a 1080i signal to 1080p..... I had forgotten about this issue.
So basically most of the currently on sale 1080p displays actually aren't "real" 1080p sets after all, despite costing a fortune? :oops:

Yeah Gollum that seems to be the case... I guess it's another case of buyer beware... just because the displays can output a 1080p signal doesnt mean they accept one.

Just do a google search for 1080p input and see what comes up

MoH

Ya when I was trying to get the output capacity of Type-A connectors I read avbout this.

right now 1080p TV's take 1080i signals and upconvert them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back