Inside X360: Jeff Henshaw Interview Part One AND TWO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm... I think perhaps in the end it boils down to a matter of opinion, but from what I've seen, heard, and quite frankly feel (I consider myself a "japanese gamer") Sakaguchi does NOT pull the weight you think he does in Japan. Most, especially the more hardcore RPGers, have long since moved on praising his name to high heaven. If anything his name holds meaning in the US not Japan. Sakaguchi is pretty much the only name most "American Gamers" can recall in reference to Japanese RPGs... and for good reason, FF is pretty much the only Japanese RPG to really be successful in the US (commercially).

Also, while it probably is an insult to the Mistwalker team, I think part of the reason those games are so interesting is that they're feeling a lot like reduxes of FF and DQ. I'm not saying this is fact, so don't go screaming... it's just that it's pretty obvious what mistwalker is doing and people figure if that's the case they're in for some good stuff... doesn't mean it will or won't pan out... I'm just trying to explain the mentality behind the interest.

Also, don't hold reviews in too high regards... RPGs are one of those genres IMO that are kind of tricky to review... people have very different tastes resulting in weird skews and because taste and style are so critical to RPGs, reviews tend to get funky... especially comparing mainstream to hardcore... bit offtopic but hey.

EDIT:: The numbers Oda is refering to probably are the poll numbers FAMItsu did about what the devs/retailers/consumers think of the various next gen consoles. Xbox 360 was still number 3 in a 3 man race. I'd post a scan or a copy of the text, but seeing as I'm on 56k... I'll leave ya hanging. :)

Mefisutoferesu said:
Mmm... I think perhaps in the end it boils down to a matter of opinion, but from what I've seen, heard, and quite frankly feel (I consider myself a "japanese gamer") Sakaguchi does NOT pull the weight you think he does in Japan. Most, especially the more hardcore RPGers, have long since moved on praising his name to high heaven. If anything his name holds meaning in the US not Japan. Sakaguchi is pretty much the only name most "American Gamers" can recall in reference to Japanese RPGs... and for good reason, FF is pretty much the only Japanese RPG to really be successful in the US (commercially).

Also, while it probably is an insult to the Mistwalker team, I think part of the reason those games are so interesting is that they're feeling a lot like reduxes of FF and DQ. I'm not saying this is fact, so don't go screaming... it's just that it's pretty obvious what mistwalker is doing and people figure if that's the case they're in for some good stuff... doesn't mean it will or won't pan out... I'm just trying to explain the mentality behind the interest.

Also, don't hold reviews in too high regards... RPGs are one of those genres IMO that are kind of tricky to review... people have very different tastes resulting in weird skews and because taste and style are so critical to RPGs, reviews tend to get funky... especially comparing mainstream to hardcore... bit offtopic but hey.

EDIT:: The numbers Oda is refering to probably are the poll numbers FAMItsu did about what the devs/retailers/consumers think of the various next gen consoles. Xbox 360 was still number 3 in a 3 man race. I'd post a scan or a copy of the text, but seeing as I'm on 56k... I'll leave ya hanging. :)

I think you give FF entirely too much credit. Fact is the series is getting stale, and the games are too long in between, RPG fans are ravenous for new epic RPG's and if Mistwalker lives up to it's potential it will be a monster hit.

On the topic of numbers, 360 cam last in a 3 man race? Well PS3 came 2nd, so what;s your point?

49% of japanese gamers though PS3 woudl do well, 39% though xbox woudl do well, sounds pretty darn close to me and certainly a world of difference between what they woudl've said in 2001. Nintendo got the highest percentage with 65%.

Alpha_Spartan said:
I said:
That's the most ridiculously ignorant piece of "information" i've read for a LONG time. My god...

Thanks for the laugh though.
Well, if you believe I'm wrong, please do me the service of pointing out where I was wrong and then point me in the right direction.

Not much to comment on, apart from the fact that your "we need 2 HDMI ports to have one 1080p signal" is just simply wrong. That's all.

One HDMI port and cable is well able to support 1080p60 and more. Not saying PS3 games will come at that resolution, i'm merely pointing out that needing 2 HDMI ports, with 1080i each, and then somehow "blend them together" or whatever mubo jumbo you came up with, is just simple wrong.

1080p30 doesn't exist as a broadcasting signal. That doesn't mean that TVs and displaying platforms like PS3 won't be able to output a 1080p60 signal.

All 1080p TVs will be more than able to display a 1080p image that refreshed at 60Hz if not more in fact. In the circumstances, nothing is stopping PS3 to output a 1080p image at 60fps apart from performance obviously, but standard-wise, only TV stations can't broadcast a 1080p60 signal for obvious bandwidth reasons. Ultimately, TV stations don't usually need more than 30fps since all material runs at that framerate.

DVI and HDMI (they're the same really) start having problems at 1900x1200 at more than 60Hz and 1080p is lower than that resolution.

london-boy said:
One HDMI port and cable is well able to support 1080p60 and more.

LB - doesnt it depend on the connector type? supposedly Type A can't do 1080p (some people say PS3 has type A connectors). But Type B connectors can.

Isnt that the argument?

A quick search on Google gave me this...

http://www.pacificcable.com/HDMI_Tutorial.htm

This says HDMI supports data rates up to 5Gbps, including 1080p. It doesn't say if that's 30 or 60 frames per second, but the numbers pan out (not sure what the color depth is for HDMI)...

1920 x 1080 x 24 bit color x 60 = ~3Gbps
1920 x 1080 x 32 bit color x 60 = ~4Gbps

More info at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

24 bit per pixel looks right. Those numbers need a bit of an increase to cover overhead (blanking, horizontal & vertical retraces?).

blakjedi said:
LB - doesnt it depend on the connector type? supposedly Type A can't do 1080p (some people say PS3 has type A connectors). But Type B connectors can.

Isnt that the argument?

Uh...this argument you reference should have ended on page two when this information was brought up in this very same thread.

archie4oz said:
Oh dear lord... The is whole Type A/B connector drivel is pointless (c'mon 2 pages!?!). It's pretty common knowledge that the current video pixel rate for HDMI (Type A which uses a single TMDS channel) is 25-165MHz, meaning you can easily support 1920x1080@60Hz, and go up to 1920x1200 at w/reduced blanking...

Edge said:
> "You forgot one, 11. The CGI KZ demo..."

PC Engine is a major annoyance. I can't understand why he is allowed to continually post here. Almost every post he makes he puts smilies down, either laughing or poking fun at people's opinions. He refuses to engage in any intellegent discussion.

I banned him recently from the alwaysgame forum for doing the exact same thing, and after repeated warnings to him.

You banned a lot of people Edge just because they disagreed with you or proved you wrong. ;)

Now I suggest you stop injecting OT stuff from other boards into this thread. It doesn't belong here understand? I'm just glad you're not moderating this board...

As for Xbox 360 support, seems it's going to be the reference platform for developers next generation and with the many exclusives MS will be selling buttloads of units.

PC-Engine said:
As for Xbox 360 support, seems it's going to be the reference platform for developers next generation and with the many exclusives MS will be selling buttloads of units.

Just like the PS3 will do to. Sony has plenty of support and exclusives too, so they have nothing to worry about.

Uggghh, the hypocracy! :rolleyes: Don't sweat it, Edge. You were right to ban him there, and it can't happen soon enough here. Often, we are graced by his rants of how he has "proven somebody wrong", but we all know the reality that he couldn't prove himself out of a wet paperbag. Anyone who repeatedly self agrandizes himself in such a way is only worthy of shame.

randycat99 said:
Uggghh, the hypocracy! :rolleyes: Don't sweat it, Edge. You were right to ban him there, and it can't happen soon enough here.

Yeah hopefully sooner than later. I'm sure it will happen some day.

randycat99 said:
Uggghh, the hypocracy! :rolleyes: Don't sweat it, Edge. You were right to ban him there, and it can't happen soon enough here.

Thanks for derailing this thread. I have a feeling jvd will be banning YOU pretty soon. :LOL: ;)

Kinda like "solution found the problem". :LOL:

BTW how would you know anything that goes on over there since you always tried to downplay the technology used in DC without even knowing how it works? Where're those magical GS GFLOPS Randycat99? :LOL:

but we all know the reality that he couldn't prove himself out of a wet paperbag.

Nice edit...I guess "solution found a problem" and "magical GS GFLOPS" hit pretty close to home.

Anyone can do a search and see who's been wrong Randycat99.

Randycat99 wrote:
Thinner fins become less efficient in exposing T-core to surface area.

http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/images/SCNJ1000big.jpg

http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/images/shogunbig2.jpg

Still filpping coins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back