Inside X360: Jeff Henshaw Interview Part One AND TWO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I retract my comments about Jeff exaggerating with the "zero 1080p displays on the planet".

Scandal! :LOL:

Don't know if it's newsworthy yet... other than it does seem to be smoke and mirrors by Sonry right now. However, we don't really know what type of outputs will be in the PS3 "for real".

Also, future-proofing is good, as long as they have the ouputs necessary to drive 1080p....

MoH

This would hardly be news to anyone keeping any kind of ear to the ground with regard to home entertainment or home theater :p

Wait till 2006 for your 1080p displays! :)

kind of brings a whole new perspective to the whole 1080P debate going on here lately. ;)

so technically, in this interview, he was correct in his assumptions of 1080P? :?:

Titanio said:
This would hardly be news to anyone keeping any kind of ear to the ground with regard to home entertainment or home theater :p

Wait till 2006 for your 1080p displays! :)

Hey I'm just now, (not yet but soon actually) making the switch to 720P or 1080i :oops:

Tap In said:
so technically, in this interview, he was correct in his assumptions of 1080P? :?:

Re. there not being any displays, well it's not a million miles from the truth, but I remember reading of at least one true 1080p display that's either out now or will be shortly. They should arrive in volume next year. As for hooking up 2 HDMIs in order to get 1080p, I doubt that's true.

If you can, I'd hold off on the HDTV till next year, there's some big developments happening (asides from 1080p, with SED for example). Although I guess one could wait forever ;)

Ummm.. No didn't the projector shown by Sanyo just show a 1080p capable set?

Well, if you really want to nitpick, that projector does not have a HDMI input.. so the PS3 still would not output 1080p to that projector either. ;)

http://www.sanyo.nl/images/files/Leaflet%20PLV_HD10_ENG.pdf#search='PLVHD10'

Do we think that in 2-4 years (easily within the lifespan of the PS3 especially as it's not out for another 9 months) there will be 1080P sets?

Ty said:
Do we think that in 2-4 years (easily within the lifespan of the PS3 especially as it's not out for another 9 months) there will be 1080P sets?

Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. Ty *thinks about that Matrix word* oh yeah its inevitable. And don't let nobody tell you different.

Ty said:

Yes, I do think that we will see the sets able to take 1080p, now teh research that I have doen backs up other peoples staements about the connecter. Like I said above, Future-proof is good, just make sure that the outputs that they put on the Ps3 can drive 1080p.

Here is a good site with info about teh various connecters... notice that the stated HDTV resolutions for 'Single TMDS Link" are

SXGA resolution (1280 x 1024) with 85-Hz refresh rate
UXGA resolution (1600 x 1200) with 60-Hz refresh rate
SDTV resolutions of 480i, 480p, 576i and 576p
HDTV resolutions of 720p and 1080i

MoH

MoHonRi said:
Actuall a quick google search for 1080p input will revela that it's the hot topic for these new displays, none of the tv's actually accept a 1080p signal. Apparently there was one projecter that will accept it.

http://www.sanyo.com/business/projectors/large_fixed/index.cfm?productID=888

I guess the problem currently is that the HDMI chips that these displays use will not decode the 1080p. So what they curently do is de-interlace a 1080i signal to 1080p..... I had forgotten about this issue. I read about it on engadget when the 1080p displays were coming out. so if you are shopping for a 1080p display I'd hold off for a while longer until the ones capable of accepting the input are released.

MoH

This isn't quite 100% accurate... 1080p sets do accept 1080p inputs. It's just that they typically only accpet 24p and/or 30p... The problem with 60p is that there is that it's not really defined as an ASTC format, so while the TV's display interface can technically support it (it's still within the TMDS pixel clock parameters), the manufacturer may have not bothered to support it YMMV)...

Ty said:
Yes. I'm sure Sony will offer some (at exhorbitant prices) to make the most of their machine most beautious ;)

Even my ED plasma accepts 1920x1080@60hz though VGA anyway, and I'd imagine it would do the same if I used the DVI blade as well. Granted it gets downsampled at the display, but it accepts the signal all the same and it seems likely that many higher res displays would do the same.

SXGA resolution (1280 x 1024) with 85-Hz refresh rate
UXGA resolution (1600 x 1200) with 60-Hz refresh rate
SDTV resolutions of 480i, 480p, 576i and 576p
HDTV resolutions of 720p and 1080i

So Sony claims a goal of 1080p x 2, and having the games running at 60fps.

That would = 1080p60Hz which seems to be slightly beyond the spec of HDMI-A.

Did Sony make a mistake and not mock-up the PS3 with the proper outputs at E3?

Sean*O said:
That would = 1080p60Hz which seems to be slightly beyond the spec of HDMI-A.
How so? You can easily fit 1920x1080p @ 60hz inside the HDMI-A specs. As archie4oz said, you can even fit 1920x1200 w/reduced blanking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back